Official Interview: Ali Master

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Ali Master

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Ali Master author of Beyond the Golden Door, an upcoming book of the month.

View the official 5-star review

View on Wal-mart

View OBC bookshelves

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What do you do when you aren't writing?

These days, when I am not writing, I am juggling quite a few plates. My wife and I are opening a coworking cafe in the Spring of 2024. I am still a full-time partner with Ernst & Young, a professional services firm where I lead alliances, acquisitions, and new solutions. I love spending some time with my grown kids, and I serve in my church. And, when I can find time, I love to play golf and follow the Dallas Cowboys.

2. Why did you decide to write a book?

The book had been inside me for almost two decades. About 5 years ago, I saw the political discourse in our country get to such heightened levels of acrimony that I decided Americans needed a fresh reminder as to why the freedoms we enjoy in the USA are unique and precious. I thought, perhaps, an immigrant's perspective would help. I also wanted to share my faith journey. So, I decided to kill two birds with one stone and wrote the book.

3. Let's talk about your book Beyond the Golden Door. It shares your journey as an immigrant to the US. Was it difficult to share your story?

Yes, in some ways it was very hard and in other ways, it was highly cathartic. It was hard to talk about certain dark episodes of my childhood and describe them in a PG-13 way. But I believe I struck the right balance. It was also risky to openly share about my faith transformation as well as document, for all to read, my many failures in the US as a young adult. On the flip side, it was very rewarding to recall and document the many twists and turns of my life that, ultimately, led to some success--whether that be in life, love, or business.

4. What do you want readers to learn from the book?

There are multiple messages I wanted to convey to the readers. I want them to appreciate America for what it is — an imperfect and wonderful experiment that still offers more to its inhabitants than any other nation. That the American Dream is still alive albeit more elusive. However, there are no guarantees and it's not a risk-free proposition. And that there are no accidents — perhaps as the reader sees my own faith transformation, they would consider their own relationship with their Creator and engage or reengage with Him.

5. What was your biggest misconception about Americans?

That they did not care as much about people, family, or faith. I was wrong.

6. What do you see as the biggest issue in America today?

To me, the biggest issue is our divisiveness and how quickly and effectively others have turned the various factions in America against each other. As it has been said elsewhere, a house divided against itself cannot stand. We need to find a way to stick together.

7. What was the hardest part of writing and publishing your book?

In a way, it's like a marathon, the entire experience is hard. But starting (training for it) and finishing come to mind. You have to put pen to paper and commit to writing a few chapters and a summary. Then submit many proposals and get rejected by publishers until you succeed with one. Then...you must finish. But, just like a finished marathon, when you get your first box of new-smelling books, it also brings great joy.

8. What's next for you?

I have recently released a short audio playlist called The 3 Keys to Success (at Work) They Did Not Teach You in College. It can be found on my website www.alimaster.com. It's my first work of fiction. I want to write next about business topics such as Intrapreneurship. I am also pondering doing a podcast in the future that highlights the immigrant experience and entrepreneurship.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What book had the biggest impact on you and why?

That would be the Bible. It's transformative. But aside from that, I loved Khaled Husseini's The Kite Runner because its poignant style and the emotions it stirs was something I tried to also emulate in Beyond the Golden Door.

10. If you could have a lifetime supply of anything, what would it be?

Well, that depends. Am I stuck on an island? If not, then dark chocolate, please!

11. What's your favorite sound?

Anything coming out of the mouth of Sia.

12. What's your favorite food?

Pakistani barbeque with tandoori naan. It's delicious and reminds me of the days of my youth back home in Karachi.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Blesscauley 36
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Blesscauley 36 »

I think the book will be an impact in our life
Shie_freja
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shie_freja »

In my opinion the book will show us how to handle life and to deal with it.
Manthulane

Post by Manthulane »

This may be one of a steep lessons to be learnt from the book.
Tabitha Mariana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Tabitha Mariana »

Blesscauley 36 wrote: 02 Dec 2023, 09:35 I think the book will be an impact in our life
Lindi Smith

Post by Lindi Smith »

I think the book will inspire people
Robyn Malone

Post by Robyn Malone »

This book will inspire others
Lion50

Post by Lion50 »

This is book will be a great book
Sidwell Lekhoaba
Currently Reading: All the Targets
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sidwell Lekhoaba »

:D :tiphat: :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray: this book is needed indeed
Sidwell Lekhoaba
Currently Reading: All the Targets
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Sidwell Lekhoaba »

This book will be the best and it will make change
ilyassaitbaali

Post by ilyassaitbaali »

great book
snowflakes-03
Currently Reading: The World In My Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by snowflakes-03 »

this book will inspire to dream big
Anas-al

Post by Anas-al »

This book will be great book
othmanbaaziz

Post by othmanbaaziz »

أعجبني هدا كتاب
Loolyae

Post by Loolyae »

Your interview effectively captures the essence of the interviewee's experiences, beliefs, and aspirations. With a bit of formatting and emphasis on specific details, it can become an even more impactful and reader-friendly piece.

Return to “Author Interviews”