Official Interview: Elizabeth Moore Kraus

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Elizabeth Moore Kraus

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Elizabeth Moore Kraus, author of 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking).

View Official Review

View Kindle edition on Amazon

***************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. What do you do when you aren't writing?

Spend time with my family, first and foremost. Market my book. Teach critical thinking in literature to college sophomores. Market my book. Walk along the beach. Hike. Market my book. (Marketing is a beast that demands constant feeding.) Work with my Golden Retriever, Sullivan “Sully” James Kraus who is a pet but also a therapy dog who also happens to have his own Instagram account, which for some reason I must maintain. (Smile.) Did I mention market my book? Oh, and write book number two.

2. Let's discuss your book, 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking). Why did you decide to write about your travel experience with your sisters?

Three reasons: I was newly retired. (I’ve recently returned to teaching). I was bored out of my livin’ mind during Covid lockdown (sick of jigsaw puzzles), so I grabbed my travel journal to type it up just for something to do. (Correct me if I’m wrong, but I do believe Covid inspired many to finally try their hand at writing.) As I got deeper into my writing process, I began to think about how I might make this book a gift for my family. As I continued to write, I shared several pages with a girlfriend who told me my book would appeal not only to family but also to friends and to keep writing, which I did. And then when I was told the content would appeal to a much broader audience, I broadened my storytelling to do just that. A year-and-a-half later my book was published for all to read. One last thing, I only journal on trips, and since this particular journal was from my most recent trip, it meant much of it was still fresh in my mind. Well ok, at least some of it was.

3. How difficult was it to write a book?

Let me reiterate about Covid. There wouldn’t have been a book without it. That aside, the fact that I had a journal as my jump-off point rather than creating something out of my imagination along with very few distractions was what helped ease some difficulty. That said, it was most definitely a mental roller coaster as I wrestled (often) with Imposter Syndrome. Too many times I heard words of doubt swirling around in my head: “What makes you think you can write a book?” was at the top of my playlist. It was a mental journey for me, to be sure.

4. What was the most rewarding part of the book?

First, this book has strengthened the sister bond we three Moore sisters share. Second, I made the decision to read my book aloud to my mother who was in the last stages of her life. Our relationship had always been a bit tumultuous, and it appeared it would be so until her last breath; yet, reading my book to her brought about a gentle shift for us. Once done, she told me how proud she was of me. We were fortunate that it wasn’t too late for us to forgive one another. Last but no means least, my husband continues to be very proud of my accomplishment.

5. Was it tough to write about something so personal?

Even though I’m very much an open book (ask my family, friends, and students), I knew this book had to be personal, so I couldn’t hesitate in that aspect. I wanted the readers to get to know the Moore sisters, to see that we are multi-dimensional, to feel as though they were on the trip with us. For example, when I had that disagreement with Les, my older sis, on a street corner in London while waiting for the red light to turn green (such a LONG red light), I didn’t tell my reader what was going on; rather, I showed them through our back-and-forth conversation. I included my inner thoughts as well. My objective was to put my reader right there on the street corner with us. One more thing, I want readers to know everything in the book was pre-approved by both sisters. I told them they were free to remove anything from the manuscript that didn’t sit right with them. After each removed one item, it was a go! They are proud of me, the book, and of us. After all, look what we accomplished together.

6. Who do you consider your audience for the book?

Women. Sisters. Girlfriends who are like sisters. Mothers. Daughters. Aunties. Grandmothers. Women who have traveled with other women, or those who want to experience a trip like this for themselves. And the list goes on. And yes, men have read the book as well and have enjoyed it because ultimately my book is about acceptance and love.

7. What did you learn while writing the book and what do you want others to learn?

I elected to write my book in an informal tone because I wanted readers to feel as though they were having a casual conversation with me over a cup of coffee. This means I implemented punctuation as a writing tool to control the cadence of the reader. Will all readers like this? Of course not. But that’s okay because I learned long ago to be true to myself, and as a writer, it was equally important that I was true to my voice. I hope others learn to practice this for themselves.

8. What's next for you?

I thought I was “one and done,” because I didn’t want to write another memoir/travel book, but I’m about 20 stories deep in my next book, which will be a collection of short stories. All will share a common thread of observational humor and gentle sarcasm running through them.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. Which sibling is your favorite?

Me. Naturally. (Let me reassure you if you were to pose the same question to each of my siblings that they would respond with the same answer. We know how to laugh at ourselves and with one another.)

10. Are you a cat or dog person?

Don’t tell my much loved yet spoiled Sully how much I miss having a Maine Coon cat. But because I grew up with big dogs, I’m going on the record as being a (big) dog person! (I said this loud enough so Sully could hear.)

11. How do you relax?

Have you ever sipped on some peanut butter whiskey? Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. The husband and I enjoy BBC television. (“Wanna cuppa?”) We became hooked during Covid and have stayed on to watch so many great shows, with English subtitles a must, yes, even for British shows.

12. Would you rather clean the house from top to bottom or go grocery shopping?

No. Fine, some might not get my sense of humor so since you are asking me to choose -- grocery shopping, without a doubt. And thanks for not including the miserable part of unpacking and putting it all away part. The worst! Just me?
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
hettie van rooyen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hettie-van-rooyen.html
Latest Review: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking) by Elizabeth Moore Kraus

Post by hettie van rooyen »

I loved this interview and her sense of humour comes through loud and clear! It is this tone that made her book, 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking), so enjoyable and funny to read! I'm still reading it and will be sad when the journey with the author and her sisters comes to an end. Thank you for such a great, personal insight into the author's interests and writing process.

Return to “Author Interviews”