Official Interview: Ray Hodgson

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Ray Hodgson

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Ray Hodgson author of Zen and the Art of Writing.

View the Official Review

View on Amazon (Free on Kindle Unlimited)

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. Tell us about yourself.

I'm a retired professor of psychology. In the past, I have been President of the "British Society for the study of addiction". Also in the past, I have written academic books. Now, aged over 80, I am writing more popular books and I also play my saxophone in a concert band.

2. Who or what has been the biggest influence on you?

The biggest influence on me was the head of the addiction research unit where I worked for many years. He was Professor Griffith Edwards. Also, I was and am influenced by transcendental meditation.

3. Let's discuss your book Zen and the Art of Writing. What makes you qualified to write a book on writing and publishing books?

I feel I'm qualified to write this book for the following reasons:
— As a psychologist, I was very interested in the way that scientists solve problems and enhance their creativity. My PhD was in this field
— The essence of this book is about enhancing creativity through meditation.
— I tested my ideas by writing a book about a blind man, whose aim was helping others. (The Protectors.)
— I've read a great deal about publishing a book.

4. Is this book only for new authors or can established authors use this as well?

I'm sure that established authors could benefit. Writers are always searching for ways to increase their creativity.

5. Would non-authors find any use for this book?

A couple of reviewers of my book have emphasized that the ideas about creativity apply to everybody.

6. What is the number one piece of advice you would give to a struggling author?

The number one piece of advice is to learn to meditate and follow your meditation with one hour of thinking and writing (I called this musing).

7. How do you personally stay inspired?

I stay inspired by letting ideas flow after my meditation session.

8. What's next for you? Any more books?

I am writing a book on creativity.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What's your favorite fictional book?

My favourite book is The Book Thief.

10. Would you rather mow the lawn or clean the house?

Mow the lawn.

11. What historical person would you want to have a meal with and why?

Jesus or Buddha. They both have world-shaking ideas.

12. What's your favorite travel destination?

Surprisingly, I like to go back to my Yorkshire roots, for example, the Dales and Harrogate.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”