Official Interview: Denny Laake

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Denny Laake

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Denny Laake, one of the authors of The Elephant(s) in the Room.

Official Interview by @PeterRabitt20

Kindle edition on Amazon

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. When did you both realize you wanted to author a book?

Years ago I created Sammy the Weasel, a character who came on "Crazy Monday" to our family's house for a night of fun. He made all of my family members tell funny stories or jokes. Sammy gave goofy presents and often "weaseled" or tricked the recipient. Everyone loved it; it grew and became an annual family tradition. I tried writing a screenplay with a wild, funny embellishment of Sammy and Crazy Monday. My son started reading this to my grandson who loved it. I started writing Sammy the Weasel short stories for him. In the meantime, my daughter Monica got a degree in graphic design. Her senior project was a Sammy the Weasel montage. Several years later we were on a family vacation when we decided to take some of the short stories, have Monica re-write, edit and do the illustrations and start publishing Sammy the Weasel books.

2. Were your families supportive?

Yes, our families are very supportive. They love Sammy the Weasel who has been a part of their lives.

3. Let's specifically discuss The Elephant(s) in the Room. Why a children's book?

The stories I wrote about Sammy the Weasel were for my grandchildren. However, I try to make them humorous to adults.

4. How did you collaborate? Who did what?

As previously mentioned, I was the Sammy the Weasel creator and original story creator. Monica, brought Sammy to life, by re-writing the stories, adding her professional touch and doing the wonderful illustrations.

5. Was it difficult to work together? What was hardest?

It is fun to work with Monica, as we share the same sense of humor. We don't set absolute deadlines or create pressure as this is more of a fun exercise than a livelihood. Getting time to devote is probably the most difficult thing.

6. What's your favorite scene?

My favorite scene is where there is an elephant disguised as a guy with a mustache, glasses and wearing crazy shorts and that stumps Sammy.

7. How do you balance the creative process with the business side of publishing?

Since there are so many stories already written, we collectively decide how and when to develop and publish a book. We also strategize as to marketing or how to have the Sammy the Weasel brand promoted.

8. What's next for you? Any more books in the works?

We have several dozen Sammy the Weasel books written and awaiting production and publication. We also have been creating humorous greeting cards, primarily based upon Sammy weaseling (tricking) the recipient. As previously mentioned, a screenplay has been written (it's a really funny, wholesome story with a nice holiday message) that we are shopping. We are trying to create a brand and a fan base. We are exploring marketing opportunities and are currently in discussion with an agency.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. Since the book features animals, I think it's only fair to ask your favorite animal.

My favorite animal today is a moose. If you ask me tomorrow, it might be a buffalo or camel.

10. What's your least favorite chore?

My least favorite chore is cleaning up after a party, including a Crazy Monday celebration.

11. If you had to be a child forever, what age would you want to be?

If I had to be a child forever it would be when I was eleven. My world was great then. I had many friends and was doing very well in school and in sports. I remember going to bed and couldn't wait for the next day to begin.

12. What's the best piece of advice you've ever received?

My best advice that I received was from my mother. At the time, I was married and had 4 children, a mortgage and not a whole lot of money. I was being forced to either take a secure job, that I didn't think I would like, headquartered in another city or try a new business venture, of which there were no guarantees of success. My retired mother, who was twice widowed and who raised me and my brother on a secretary's salary, told me "Sometimes you just have to take a chance". She was right and things worked out well for me.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Razib Paul
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Razib Paul »

"Delving into the official interview with Denny Laake was a captivating journey into the mind of a remarkable individual. His insights, experiences, and perspectives unveiled a tapestry of wisdom, offering a unique blend of professionalism and personal flair. Denny's articulate responses provided not only a glimpse into his professional achievements but also the essence of his character. It's inspiring to witness someone with such passion and dedication. The interview serves as a beacon for aspiring individuals, shedding light on the pathways to success. Kudos to the interviewer for unraveling the layers of Denny Laake's fascinating journey."

Return to “Author Interviews”