Official Interview: Grinnell Desjarlais

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Grinnell Desjarlais

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Grinnell Desjarlais author of Saving KC.

View: Official Review | Amazon | Bookshelves

***********************************************************************************************************************************************
1. Who has been the biggest influence on you as a writer?

This might be a simple question where one would expect a brief answer, maybe some great writer or prolific character in my life. In the end, it is just a name for me, Karen Carpenter. Hang on, this is where it gets weird. I am, of course, a first-time writer, I have never done this before. Oh, I write professional proposals daily, which are very technical in content and very dry and boring.

One day I rediscovered Karen Carpenter on YouTube. I hadn't thought about her in years. We would have been the same age had she not died when she did. She was, to be honest, my first major crush. There was just something about her I found enchanting back then in 1970. It is very odd then how that old feeling crept back in. It was as if she were reaching from wherever she was and touching me. I must admit it lit a fuse and I was off and running. I watched all the videos and read all the books, and articles that I could find. This was a very emotional experience as I found myself breaking down as I reviewed these materials. How in many ways the world can be so cruel and thoughtless. I was distracted by this whole thing and couldn't concentrate on anything else. I just seemed to slip into the idea that I needed to write something that allowed her to somehow survive. With that germ of an idea and the huge emotional push, from God knows where, maybe her? I started writing. The first unedited manuscript was completed in about three months. Strange, huh?

2. Has your family been supportive of your writing?

Very much so. I run an electrical contracting business, So I have a full-time job. My daughter works for me and is a part owner. My wife also works in the business. They are content to let me do stupid stuff...sometimes. This was a surprise to all, including me. This came out of nowhere. I recall the reaction as being. "Yeah, right, you a writer"? Once the book was published, none wanted to read it. They were afraid if they thought it was horrible that they would have to tell me without hurting my feelings; most family members were unwilling to get caught up in that situation, so they avoided it. After they read it, they were still unbelieving and would question me, some wondering who wrote it for me. This is how completely out of character it was for me.

3. Let's discuss your book Saving KC. Kelly, one of the main characters, was captured on a mission in the army. Why did you decide to write about this type of trauma?

I needed to create a protagonist that had a certain innocence and good nature and cast him in a place where he would get damaged to the edge of death. This was very intentional as I needed him to be ready to counter the emotional and physical damage already inherent in Karen Carpenter once they met. It would be the subtle thing that eventually helps draw them together. Because I am a recovering alcoholic, I am intimately involved personally with the dynamic where one damaged person has a significant advantage in helping another similarly affected person. This can happen despite what doctors and psychiatrists can't do. It's an amazing process. So, Kelly's damage is apparent when they first meet; it oozes from him, and she immediately picks up on it. I also intentionally created characters that were so naturally dissimilar and were socially and culturally different. People who would never normally meet. My challenge was to mash these two personalities together and create a relationship between them. The thing that was common to both was the human damage that both carried and one day would kill them or save them both. We ultimately see how she is affected by anorexia nervosa (the thing that ended Karen Carpenter). What is interesting is that both maladies appear to be different and have nothing in common. However, the process to treat both is very similar. Neither can be cured, however, both can be arrested provided they are treated continuously by psychologists and doctors. With an added spiritual component offered by support groups (something that doctors and psychologists struggle with).

4. Did you find it difficult to write about this type of captivity?

I am a writer and I tell stories. This is a story. At the same time, I was a Vietnam-era veteran. I did not personally have these experiences. Again, while I was treating the protagonist with a lot of cruelty and damaging him, I kept in mind that it was for a greater purpose to allow the story to be pulled together. Unfortunately, the things that went on were pulled from various experiences of people I knew or read about enduring this type of treatment or worse. It is not easy to hear about these real experiences and truly uncomfortable.

5. Others have classified this as historical fiction, romance, American literature. How would you classify it?

That is a question that may require a somewhat complex response. While this is covertly about the Carpenters, particularly Karen Carpenter, I thought it best to create alter egos to steer clear of any real-life entanglements with any surviving interests, but was I ever tempted? To be sure. I used the name Kaitlin Chapin, thus the initials KC. My thinking was by using the last name Chapin that old Carpenter fans would pick up on that and make the leap of logic and think of another well-known artist of the 80's, Mary Chapin Carpenter. Probably a stretch on my part. There are other easter eggs planted about in-room numbers and flight numbers that again could cue folks to the real identities. If some classed it as historical fiction, that might be because some saw the definite similarities to the real characters and that made sense for them. I think American literature would be very complimentary. But in the end, it is purely a romance novel written by someone who experienced its creation that way. For someone who fell in love with Karen Carpenter, unexpectedly, all over again.

6. What was the most difficult part of the writing and publishing process? What's most rewarding?

I would have to say editing and rewrites are the toughest pieces of the project. I lost count of the times I had to read and reread the manuscript. The writing process once I was in "the zone" flowed for me. The only odd thing was my character would lead me off into some strange places. It's odd how characters can develop a mind of their own and steer the story to an odd place. Sometimes it was a good thing and sometimes not so much. I found myself having an internal discussion with my characters..." Why did you take us here, now what do you expect me to do? How am I supposed to get us out of this one"?

I was maybe one-quarter through the writing, and I knew I was going to finish it. I knew nothing of the publishing industry and needed to find someone who did know. I needed help, an ally, and I knew it would cost money. The publishing industry is replete with scams and scammers, there were tons of vanity publishers waiting for my call. I knew I did not want to deal with the arduous task of getting an agent to represent me and go with the traditional route, which I understood to be a monumental undertaking, and I still had doubts as to whether I was any good. I wanted to see the book published and move things along, so I knew I had to create the writer/publisher relationship and take a chance on a vanity press. I found one in the immediate area. My thinking was if he tried to mess with me, I was close and could go hunt him down. As it turned out he was a great guy. He didn't pull any punches on cost or what I would be letting myself in for. He didn't sugarcoat anything, so I was confident I had the right collaborator. Elliott brought in his editor, and she went to work. We went back and forth for nearly a year in constant edits and rewrites. I went from knowing nothing about the publishing industry to at least learning enough to eventually get a book published. I like to learn about new things as I have a natural curiosity about everything, a great experience. Somewhere about three-quarters through the editing process, Elliott called me. His first words were "I rarely make calls like this." He went on to say that I had a real writing talent and asked me where I went to school. I told him "I didn't have to go to college; I learned how to drink in high school." I still had my guard up and thoughts had crossed my mind that maybe old Elliott was playing me. He told me that the editor had asked for more time. She wanted to do a thorough job because she had become excited about the project. And about six months later I held a hard copy novel in my hand. I was still a little stunned that I had done it, written a novel.

7. Is there a message that you wanted to convey to your readers?

There are many as it turns out. I wanted the reader to experience the impact of war beyond the person directly involved. I wanted to show the lasting potential physical and emotional impacts. That it is possible to recover from a hopeless state of mind and body, to recover, restart life, and succeed. And lastly, for both KCs to find each other and experience complete love, something we all need.

8. Do you have any further books in the works?

Right now, I am brainstorming ideas that are meaningful to me. I will write again, I promise. I am making a collection of short stories and trying to get some of them published. These will all have a heavier Native American theme, probably more so than Saving KC.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What time of day do you do your best writing?

I am a night owl and sometimes work well into the early morning hours. I do write during the day and sometimes I sneak it in while at work, although I don't think I am fooling anybody.

10. What literary character would you like to have a meal with and why?

Captain Nemo, "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" is the first novel of any consequence I have read. I was mesmerized and have never forgotten the experience. I want to eat some fish and see his boat.

11. If you had to choose, would you rather never be able to go to the doctor again or never be able to go to the dentist again?

I would pick the dentist. At my age, if I didn't see a doctor occasionally, I may not last long and there would be one less literary voice in the world. I can probably skate by with a few dental issues as I have a high pain tolerance.

12. What's the most enjoyable sound in the world?

The sound of my twin grandsons laughing and Karen Carpenter singing "Solitaire".
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”