Official Interview: Shari Borkin

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Shari Borkin

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Shari Borkin author of The Movie Chair.

Official Review

Kindle edition on Amazon

OBC Bookshelves

***************************************************************************************************************************************************
1. Why did you start writing books?

As an art therapist, I started writing guided imagery meditation CD's for my students who had disabilities, over 20 years ago. My meditations for the kids were called "Transformation Station" and the story titles were: "Breath in A Rainbow and Feel Full," The Story Room "and "The Land of Love." They all incorporated relaxing music, positive affirmations, and breathing techniques.

2. What does your writing environment look like?

It is in my art room. I go from the desk laptop writing ideas, then jump to the art table, creating my art, or vice versa.

3. Let's discuss your book The Movie Chair. How did you come up with a chair in a movie theater that enjoys children?

This was more of my mother's idea at first. Growing up in S. California, my mother took the neighborhood kids, my brother and myself to the movies a lot. It was a form of "cinema therapy." The movie theater was a place of comfort for her, as she went through some difficult times. I guess you could say that she is The Movie Chair. Although, her ideas for the Movie Chair story were somewhat politically incorrect back in 1968. Like a fat lady squishing the chair. After I became unemployed back in 2021, I decided to get back into my art and start writing again. I used my mother's concept of a nurturing movie chair, and now combined my ideas, and incorporated my meditation stories from my past, into the sequel The Movie Chair Adventures. Wait till you find out where The Movie Chair is from and who originally built her.

4. You wrote the story and illustrated it. Which was harder?

Being an art therapist and artist, I put so much pressure on myself to make the art expressive and to tell the story. Well, if people cannot read, they can follow the images and figure it all out. Note: (teaching someone to read is a big deal).

5. How long did it take to complete the book?

About a year. I was a recluse at that time. It brought me joy.

6. How do you strike the balance between being educating and entertaining?

It just came naturally. I have been an art educator for over 20 years now and have worked with some of the most difficult populations that most people ignore. I know how to get the message through to others, in a gentle way. And my art usually puts smiles on the faces of those who view it.

7. What was the most fun part of the book for you?

The end. When the chair is hugging its grown-up boy.

8. What's next for you? Any more children's books?

Why of course there is a sequel. I have The Movie Chair Adventures. But need a publishing company to publish it. I also want to try an animation. I studied TV production for years too.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What are you currently reading?

Medicinal Plants at Home, (More than 100 Natural remedies for healing common ailments) by Maria Transito Lopez Luengo and Carlota Manez. I always read the ingredients before I buy. My mother taught me that. She was a great healer and holistic health practitioner.

10. Wine, beer, or coffee?

Tea in the am, Brandy or herb tea sometimes at night.

11. What's your favorite memory?

I think the future will be my favorite memory, not now. When the world has peace, suffering is less, and everything is made for the highest good of all mankind.

12. Any advice for aspiring authors?

Do not look for professional advice. "Trendy" is snoring. Just do it your way. Just do it. Make it happen. Your higher self could be telling you the correct road to take.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Author Interviews”