Official Interview: Patricia Skipper

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Patricia Skipper

Post by kandscreeley »

Today's Chat with Sarah features Patricia Skipper author of Deceptive Calm, an upcoming book of the month.

View Official Review 1

View Official Review 2

View Kindle edition on Amazon

****************************************************************************************************************************************************

1. What does your writing process look like? Brainstorming? Outlining?

When I have an idea, I just start writing. I have a master's degree in Broadcast Journalism, so I wrote heavily during my college years. I reported from Saint Petersburg and Moscow for the Charleston Evening Post so I am keenly aware of deadlines. An outline is all I need and then I am on my way.

2. What author has been most influential in your writing style?

I know this sounds corny, but I read Gone with the Wind when I was 12 years old, and it changed my life. I clung to every word that Margaret Mitchell wrote. And to this day, it is my favorite book. I read it so many times over and over again.

3. Let's discuss your book Deceptive Calm. Why did you choose 1968?

I was 9 years old when my mother and I went into the downtown Charleston, SC Sears Roebuck. For the first time ever, I saw a "Colored Only" sign above the bathrooms and water fountains. My dad spent 21 years in the Marine Corps and on the military bases, everyone swam in the same pools, ate at the same restaurants and used the same bathrooms. My mother was from Brooklyn, New York and she was appalled at these racist signs, so we left immediately. This scarred me for life and Deceptive Calm was born.

4. There's a lot of racial tension in the story. Did you want to make a statement with the book?

I wanted to explain to my readers how it was to grow up in the Jim Crow South. Our younger generation appears to know nothing about this time period. It was difficult to be Black which lasted for almost 100 years. Jim Crow is a term, a derogatory epithet, for African Americans and a designation for their segregated life.

5. The reviewers mention many of the great characters. Which one is your favorite? Which one do you identify most with?

The main character Vanessa experiences traumas such as a back-alley abortion which almost kills her. Today, with the Supreme Court overturning Roe vs Wade, women are back to the 1960s when abortion was illegal. Many will die from life-threatening unsanitary procedures. Her strength is remarkable.

6. This book is classified as a romance. Is that how you see it?

Absolutely, it is a torrid love story with many shocking surprises.

7. What would you say changed most from the first draft of the book?

My first draft was exactly what I wanted but of course, it was edited by professionals many times.

8. What's next? Any future books you can tell us about?

Yes, I have already started on a novel about the 10th Mountain Division in World War 11. They were trained in Colorado to ski in the Alps to fight Nazi Germany. I am leaning towards making it a comedy.

I like to end with fun questions.

9. What's the secret to success?

The secret is to keep on keeping on. Never stop believing in yourself and don't let the critics influence your writing.

10. Cats or dogs?

Dogs all the way. I have three, all from the pound.

11. What's your favorite dessert?

Cheesecake.

12. Which superhero would you most want to come to your rescue?

Superman of course.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Patricia Skipper
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Patricia Skipper »

A book is a dream you hold in your hands. —Neil Gaiman
PAMELA MUGENI
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by PAMELA MUGENI »

A book is like offspring which will make you remembered long afterwards Even in future when you are gone long afterwards
Diala Macak
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diala-macak.html
Latest Review: Requiem - Book 2: Exposed by Taveyah LaShay

Post by Diala Macak »

What a lovely interview. The way the author described her book made my just add it to my tbr.
abderrahman El achari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abderrahman-el-achari.html
Latest Review: Phobia Relief by Kalliope Barlis
2024 Reading Goal: 33
2024 Goal Completion: 13%

Post by abderrahman El achari »

When black meets white in the fifties and sixties of the last century, the result is segregation and racial discrimination, and this is what is most important for our writer to write and compose. Good review :techie-studyinggray:
my regards
Sahib KhN

Post by Sahib KhN »

What a lovely interview. The way the author described her book made my just add it to my tbr.
Nokwanda Thabethe
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Nokwanda Thabethe »

Reading the interview makes me look forward to reading and finishing the entire book....so excited about it!!
Kenneth Onyenwe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenneth-onyenwe.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Kenneth Onyenwe »

I learned about Jimmy Crow South for the first time in this book. I love your motivations and inspirations that helps you write. Well done.

Return to “Author Interviews”