Official Interview: Victor Rose

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Victor Rose

Post by kandscreeley »

Good Morning, Afternoon or Evening Ladies and Gentlemen!

The time has come for another author interview. This time, I had the pleasure of talking with Victor Rose author of End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicle Book 1) which was book of the month in December 2017.

Before the interview I took the opportunity of reading the review by CataclysmicKnight. If you would like to do the same I will post the link for you: Official Review

1. Tell us about your background and how you became a writer.

First of all, I am not a full-time writer. Professionally I am a senior systems/network engineer and work for a network equipment manufacturer in Huntsville in R&D. I also lecture part time at UAH in the CS department. Currently, I reside in Huntsville, Alabama with my loving wife and two children.

I began writing because I had a story I wanted to tell. Since my skills in drawing and film were considerably worse than my writing skills, I concentrated on improving my writing skills, in hopes to adequately tell the story.

2. Where is your favorite place to write?

Never gave it much thought. I wrote large portions of the first book while in grad classes and usually write during my lunch break at work.

3. What has been your least favorite job?

I have been in the same industry for twenty years, so can honestly say all the positions I have held have had their good and bad points. However, for least favorite, I would have to go back to my teenage years working fast-food restaurants.

4. What is your favorite food?

Favorite food type is by far Mexican. What I mean is real Mexican food, not Tex-Mex or Americanized Mexican. For me to eat at a Mexican Restaurant, there must be Mexican cooks, Mexican staff, and above all Mexicans eating there.

5. What author has inspired you the most?

The authors that inspire me most are ones that inspire entire genres to be created. Bram Stoker is one of my favorites authors that inspired over 100 years of vampire books and movies. In an earlier version of End of the Last Great Kingdom, I attempted a journal letter style similar to the style found in Dracula. However, I found my skills too lacking to do a proper tribute to Stoker.

6. Tell us a little bit about End of the Last Great Kingdom (The Brimstone Chronicles Book 1) and how you came up with the idea.

The Brimstone Chronicles is dark fantasy series that follows the life the Mage Brimstone. In End of the Last Great Kingdom, you are introduced to Brimstone's early years along with his friends, and the deeply troubled world they live in. There is magic, adventure, gore, and battles aplenty.

The Brimstone Chronicles is an answer to a question. The End of the Last Great Kingdom is the first series of books designed to answer that question. Sorry only after I finish the last book will share the question.

7. The OnlineBookClub.org reviewer of your book likened your book to Harry Potter meets Game of Thrones. How do you feel about that comparison?

I don't have a feeling either way. I have never read any of Harry Potter or Game of Thrones books. Years ago I did see the first Harry Potter movie, but that's it. So I will have to take his word as well as the word of other reviewers that have made the same reference.

Some reviewers have gone further to claim I was inspired or am paying homage to J. K. Rowling. Rowling can rest easy, nothing in End of the Last Great Kingdom is inspired from Harry Potter.

I'll debunk two examples. Most bring up the group of Neutron, Heat, and Brimstone, actually I followed a well used formula that I first saw in the 1977 Star Wars (Luke, Han, Leia). Of course, Lucas didn't invent it either, but that's the first time I can remember seeing it. The Central School of Magic is the other example most bring up. That was inspired by a combination of mangas: Academy City and Attack on Titan.

8. Do you have a favorite character from the book?

Not really.

9. What would you most like readers to know about the book?

The book is a fun, easy read. I kept the length short and sentence structures simple so that anyone can read it.

I did this for personal reasons. My son, I, and my father all grew up having severe trouble learning to read and write. What I learned from my own experiences and that of getting my son to read is that there are thousands of books designed to help improve reading level, but most assume you have the mental capacity of whatever grade level you are reading. So guess what most are not going to keep the attention of high school students or young adults.

10. Other than The Brimstone Chronicles, do you have plans for any other books?

Yes, I have begun a planning science fiction novel. Just don't expect it anytime soon.

11. What would you consider your biggest accomplishment in life?

If I want to live, that would be raising my two children and being a husband to my wife.

12. What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Don't rush the writing.

13. What superpower would you most like to have and why?

The ability to escape to another dimension. Finally get some real peace and quiet and finish my next book.

14. If you could only read one book over and over for the rest of your life, what book would you choose?

John Milton's Paradise Lost

15. What one word would you use to describe yourself?

Engineer

Thank you so much Mr. Rose for taking time out of your busy schedule to answer a few questions for us.

To my readers: Thanks so much for stopping by. Please feel free to leave a comment for Mr. Rose or myself. If you have any questions you'd like to see in the future, let me know! In the meantime, go forth and read!

Links for End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelves Link: Bookshelves
Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYSMBSH/
Book of the month discussion: Discussion
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Congratulations on your new status! :tiphat:

Thank you both for the interesting interview! Sounds like a good read! I was surprised the author didn't read Harry Potter, one of my favorite books ever!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I know. I don't think I've met anyone who hasn't. He was the first. Thanks for commenting gali.
—Neil Gaiman
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

kandscreeley wrote:I know. I don't think I've met anyone who hasn't. He was the first. Thanks for commenting gali.
I haven't read Harry Potter, unless you count the first few chapters of the first book. I just couldn't get into it. I did see a couple of the movies, but I mostly read while the family watched. On dvd, I wouldn't read at the theater!
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

This was a really good interview! I love how the author mentioned that some of his book was inspired by Japanese mangas. Attack on Titan is one of my favorites, so that makes me more interested to read his book so I can see the similarities.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Well not every book is for everyone catinthehat. To each his own.

Amagine, I was impressed with the fact that he wrote it with short sentences so everyone could read it.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

So the similarity to HP is a coincidence! Brilliant minds think alike!

Way to go, Kandscreely!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Miriam! I haven't read this one yet, but it is on my list. I think I need to move it up.
—Neil Gaiman
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

I haven't also read Harry Potter, neither have I taken time to watch any of the series. That said, the idea of hearing from authors of reviewed books is refreshing. I particularly like Victor Rose's answer to no.11 question, "What would you consider your biggest accomplishment in life?" The reply, "If I want
to live, that would be raising my two children and being a husband to my wife", is one of the most beautiful answers I have come across in relation to fatherhood and husbandhood.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Very true! I agree. I thought that was very genuine. Thanks Klare.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 07:31 I know. I don't think I've met anyone who hasn't. He was the first. Thanks for commenting gali.
Me too. I haven't read any of Harry Potter's books. I only saw a bit of the first H. Potter's movie. Too bad, its not my genre. Anyway, thanks for the interview. That was interesting.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Rosemary! I love interviewing these authors and picking their brain (so to speak.)
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 08:43 Thanks Rosemary! I love interviewing these authors and picking their brain (so to speak.)
You're welcome. Go kandscreeley! :tiphat:
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

As I'm new to this site, I didn't realize you did sit-down interviews with the authors! This is a really great treat! I appreciate the time you put into this!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
JosephTee
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JosephTee »

Nice one there

I'm sure your kids look very much like you.
Thanks

Return to “Author Interviews”