Official Interview: Jennie Linnane

This forum features interviews with authors.

Hosted by kandscreeley.

Moderator: Special Discussion Leaders

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Interview: Jennie Linnane

Post by kandscreeley »

Hello once again my fine fellow bookworms! The time has come for another author interview. Today I've had the privilege of talking to the author of Ironbark Hill Jennie Linnane. This fabulous novel was book of the month in April 2018. It has received a perfect four from our review team.

To view the review, just click here.

To purchase the kindle edition, click here.

To go to the book of the month discussion, click here.

Without further ado, let's get to the questions and answers!

1. First, what would you like your readers to know about who you are?
Proud to be Australian, I grew up in a large Catholic family, became a nurse, then a wife, and mother of six. Since widowed, my energies have turned to writing; studying freelance journalism, short story- and novel-writing, and sociology. A farming background has certainly helped my efforts to convey authenticity when shaping my country-life stories.

2. Let's talk about your book Ironbark Hill. The main character Natalie wants to get away from her abusive stepfather. She goes to work for the Glover family and is attracted to the husband. Where did you get the idea for the novel?
There can never be too many advocates for the equality of humankind. The physical strength of non-violent males is to be admired, but even more admirable is the strong but gentle nature of respectful men who are proud to have women stand alongside, rightfully as equals.

Natalie is devoted to her mother but keenly feels the deprivation of natural father-love and seeks a substitute elsewhere in a man who is the antithesis of her step-father. Bruce is a person she is able to respect. His elevated plane of thinking and refined manner are attributes she strives to emulate; this, to improve herself intellectually and thereby rise above poverty.

3. It sounds like there are many emotional and important issues discussed in the book. Is there an overall message you want your readers to walk away with?
The theme of inequality is predominant throughout the story but portrayed also is the resilient human strength required to confront the injustice. Natalie succeeds in this and becomes an exemplar to her siblings.

4. How much of yourself is there in Natalie?
It is hard not to empathise with those of our Indigenous Australians who have suffered varying degrees of discrimination. With my empathy emerged the inception of the novel. Natalie was subjected to bigotry, yet it made her stronger. How much of Natalie is in Jennie Linnane? Very little – a smaller measure of her rebellious streak, perhaps. Indeed, Natalie is stronger and infinitely braver.

5. Who has most influenced you as an author?
The novels of Leo Tolstoy and George Eliot imbue a perennial and powerful influence in readers, leaving many with a particular admiration for the latter who was obliged to publish her brilliant works under a male pseudonym – from any standpoint, blatant inequity.

6. What's the best advice you've ever received?
My excellent tutor of novel-writing, author Kerry Kenihan (mother of the famous Quentin) imparted sound advice: read, read, read! Believe in yourself, keep the focus on your goal, and never give up. Her words are engraved on my mind, and I keep writing. My most recent publication is another Australian country-life story entitled “More Heavens Than One”.

7. What challenges have you overcome as a person? What's your advice to others struggling with adversity?
Life is a succession of challenges, large and small. Coping with one’s lowest ebb in the events of family deaths is undoubtedly among the greatest. Less so, but still a challenge, is encroaching deafness – my nuisance disability. Nevertheless, good emerges in many guises, and to me, it is manifest in an increase in the time spent doing what I most enjoy – writing.

8. If you could have any superpower what would it be? What would you do with it?
If this writer were empowered with super capability, it would be used to ensure that the equality of all humans, regardless of race, gender and religion, became the norm.

9. What's your favorite food?
My favourite food is the Sunday roast lamb dinner.

10. If you could eliminate only one huge problem in the world what would it be? (e.g. Aids, hunger, human trafficking...)
I wish that there could be an adequate amount of food to sustain the seven-and-a-half billion people that populate this beautiful planet.

I'd like to, again, thank Ms. Linnane for taking the time to answer my questions. [/url]

Until our next interview, I bid you adieu!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you both for the interesting interview! :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks gali!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Oh, I can see by your adieu, that the poetry bug has bitten you!

Thanks for making the author real to us. I am glad she has a positive attitude about her encroaching disability. Empowering women is a worthy call!

Hey, I didn't know George Eliot was a she!
jhomarcams26
Currently Reading: Mistress Suffragette
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by jhomarcams26 »

The author is so gorgeous I definitely read the book for my free time
Janet Bragg
Currently Reading: Find Your Happy
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janet-bragg.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Janet Bragg »

Recently I read and reviewed Ironbark Hill, and I loved it. It was very interesting to read this interview and to understand the background of this author. One aspect of the book that I enjoyed was the descriptions of the Australian landscape. One can see that her farming background contributed to these visualizations.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed "Ironbark Hill" and am looking forward to reading "More Heavens Than One." It's understandable that she lists the death of a family member as the hardest of life's challenges. I also enjoyed her tips on how to become a better writer. Thanks for this interesting interview!
brandIE420
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by brandIE420 »

Very good. Very interesting. Nicely done
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This was an interesting read and I enjoyed her comments on George Eliot and the thing she would solve.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I really loved the book Ironbark Hill...it is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I especially loved the descriptions.
Annette Boateng
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 331

Post by Annette Boateng »

I must say the author's words of advice are strong and inspiring however Jennie should be brief with words or go straight to the point to avoid boredom to readers. Educative interview!.
Abdul-Malik Hassan
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Linnea Tanner
Currently Reading: How to jumpstart your faith in 21 days!
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abdul-malik-hassan.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 79732

Post by Abdul-Malik Hassan »

Such a wonderful and exciting interview. I like the author's insight and her brief background story. What's next? You might ask...I'm looking forward to purchasing the book to get the full scope of her story.
siri mayaya
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by siri mayaya »

Very nice

Return to “Author Interviews”