I must have laughed and cried a thousand times... -- Message from Gary Robinson

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

LeighD123
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: I must have laughed and cried a thousand times... -- Message from Gary Robinson

Post by LeighD123 »

I just read your letter and definitely will put your book on my must read list. It sounds like you handle some very serious life issues with empathy and humor so that we can laugh together at the mysteries of life and the choices that we all make for better or worse. It is obvious from your letter that you can write!
My own life is a work in progress. I haven't yet written that one novel that it is said we all have in us to write. I do stand-up comedy and my life experiences have been a treasure trove of subjects for my stand-up. I present them as a version of myself and do not create or imitate other characters. Your ability to create a universe of characters impresses me. To your well deserved continued success.
Anortham

Post by Anortham »

Beautiful communication. I find I MUST read your book now.

Thanks for a delightful prospect .
lylegier97
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci

Post by lylegier97 »

This letter has encouraged me to read this book. Some of the events mentioned are similar to things I've experienced lately even though this isn't the 80s and I'm not young.
Teamster6horse
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teamster6horse.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Teamster6horse »

Thanks for a great review on this book. Will definitely want to read it as soon as I finish the book I am working on. Having lived through the 80's, it will be fun to see someone else's take on that time period.

Carol
Ivy-Diva

Post by Ivy-Diva »

Dear Gary,
Going through your letter gave me the desire to get hold of your book and read it.

Real life stories are interesting because they most of the time teach us lifes' valuable lessons tampered with humour as I suspect your book is full of. Yours looks like a life lived recklessly at the beginning but you managed to learn something from your association with the Sword swallower and turned your around as evidenced by the three children you've raised succesfully.

I look forward to reading your book

Ivy - Diva
chioma-78
Currently Reading:

Post by chioma-78 »

I believed so that meeting the sword swallower was no coincidence. You would have died from drug overdose and alcohol.
Endurance osadebe

Post by Endurance osadebe »

This is a story of redemption, so interesting but hard to understand.
Samarah2010
Currently Reading: Lincoln's Hat and the TEA Movement's Anger
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Samarah2010 »

:no-spoil: thanks for this review. If i have a chance ill put it on my bo0ksheelfs.its a mixture of a ficti0n st0ry and real st0ry its nice to hear. :no-spoil:
klo2059

Post by klo2059 »

I enjoy reading the letter, I did laugh a little bit Chico was very interesting. I like how you included Chico and brought in the addictions even of the 80s. Because it's unfortunate that we have the exact same epidemic going on in 2018. So I really liked it because it was very relatable even though it was in the setting up the 1980s. I look forward to reading the whole book keep me posted
dovel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by dovel »

That sounds interesting and quite engaging book. And loads of life lessons to learn.
Uma Jiji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Uma Jiji »

Looking forward to do 5he reading and reach back to you, also kudos for overcoming the addiction with self discipline. I have spoken to one other gentleman who did translation of upanishads into enlist t9 overcome excessive alcoholism, although he is no more, because of terminal illness..
Regards
Uma
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for sharing the background of your book, Gary. With your stark openness and unbridled enthusiasm, you've just painted hues of more humanity and gained more interest in your human interest piece.

To be honest, I would have normally skipped reading your book; the title just creates images that I'm not too comfortable visualising. On a usual day and with finite time to distribute among conflicting priorities in the past, I would have just instinctively flicked through the next item on a list. Drug and alcohol addiction are also sensitive topics I'd rather see as minute yet salient parts of a collective whole ensemble in the movies than spend more time reading about.

Despite the above superficial drawbacks, with your well-meant and insightful backgrounder, you've just awakened my curiosity as to how you'd be able to transform what's potentially aversive into something passable or even likeable and endearing. I'd like to experience the laughter and feel good moments as you unravel the unique lives of your closer-to-real characters. Voracious for happy endings, I'd look forward to the stories of "redemption" which you've made to resonate your own personal journey. Possessing the same volatility, flaws and errors of a mortal being but with hopes and dreams for myself and my loved ones as well, I could now also see myself in your shoes and thereby eye the same milestones you've achieved in your career and personal life, especially for your kids.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
timothytan3223
Currently Reading:

Post by timothytan3223 »

Hi Gary

Thank you for your letter.

I look forward to reading your book "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid".

Meanwhile, all the best in writing your next story.

Cheers
Timothy :)
Phunmyf
Currently Reading:

Post by Phunmyf »

Very inspiring and liberating,it encourages on how to make lemonades out of lemon that comes our ways.looking forward to reading your other books.
elanaswanepoel12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elanaswanepoel12.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Post by elanaswanepoel12 »

I am intrigued to say the least!
I absolutely love stories where the "mess" becomes the "message" and shows that there is always hope.

Congratulations on overcoming your addictions. As someone who has a couple of addictions of her own (nothing too serious though), I would love to read your book and see how you overcame them.
I will be on the look out for your book.

Return to “Author Articles”