Guest Post: How and Why I Write by Lee Stone

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

Lee Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1

Re: Guest Post: How and Why I Write by Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Thank you, Afugisan, for taking the time to read it!
Fabian Omondi
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by Fabian Omondi »

I prefer Harry Potter because he has a way of just getting to me through his books
Nina Rose
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Nina Rose »

I love how this spoke of character complexity and growth. The analogy of sand sculpture making someone's day is inspiring and kind.
Fabian Omondi
Currently Reading: Vengeance (Tip of the Spear Book 2)
Bookshelf Size: 82

Post by Fabian Omondi »

This story surely taught me about lots of things and I surely feel encouraged.The author is just superb
riojun18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by riojun18 »

Very well said Mr. Lee Stone. I love this quotation from you “Everyone does have a book inside them, and others will read it as long as words don’t get in the way.”. Ever since, I am very fond of making short stories but due to lack of experience in writing I lost my confidence that I might be corrected with my mistakes but now I had a realization from your quotation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
baare80
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by baare80 »

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies,’ said Jojen. ‘The man who never reads lives only one.’
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I enjoyed your article and the revised Hitchens quote. I agree that to many words can get in the way of good writing.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
JGBRMS
Favorite Book: The Rational Bible
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGBRMS »

"Use half as many words!" Great advice especially for educational books. Painful to read as you point out will not succeed for these books.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I have read some long novels - but I do think that today wise - most people are looking for something shorter.
I am also a poet - so I do tend to think less is more often =)
I'm trying to picture your mermaid playing the violin.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

A wonderful summary of your process, thank you for sharing!

The part about making someone's day especially resonates with me, because it is such a mindful thing to do especially in this hectic, chaotic world that we are living in. To offer someone a means to escape the turmoil or pressure of life for a few hours through a story and characters that they can relate to, that is a wonderful thing to aspire to do.

I will certainly take your points on board with any future writing and creative ventures. Thank you! :)
Patox
Currently Reading: Death Must Go On!
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Patox »

The opening quote from Christopher Hitchens has hit me below the belt and I am now asking myself this question: Has everything I have needed been inside of me all this time?
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by JordanKSmith »

No heroes versus villains. No black and white. People are more complex than that. That complexity is what makes us all interesting.
I love this, and it can be applied to real life characterizations as well. People tend to simplify those that they perceive as enemies. Whether it is political, religious, or an opposing basketball team, we simplify them. We stretch out their characteristics and turn them into caricatures of themselves.

This behavior turns our perceptions of people into something less than human. We blind ourselves to the world by our preconceptions of it.

By understanding the depth of others, we add to our own depth. This really is a crucial understanding that is the basis of the creation of any successful villain. You almost have to convince yourself that they are right or at the very least, logical. In my opinion, your ability to perceive your real-life villains directly affects the believability of your fiction.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
lildallface
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lildallface »

Beautiful! The "why" is always personal.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Out of the Uniform, Back into Civilian Life: No Nonsense Veterans Benefits Guid by Jason Pike

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

I very much liked and agree with your version of Christopher Hitchens' quote. I have read several books with good stories, but destroyed by their narration style.
Samuel Onowhakpor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-onowhakpor.html
Latest Review: Seeker: A Sea Odyssey by Rita Pomade

Post by Samuel Onowhakpor »

Some authors driven by the need to convey the message in their books in as much words as possible, wittingly or unwittingly, slow down the story progression to a snail's pace or deviate from the central theme altogether. A lot of such books then get flushes down the proverbial toilets.

Return to “Author Articles”