Guest Post: The Many Approaches to Writing by Kim Ekemar

This forum features articles, guest posts and advice columns written by authors.

Hosted by October Member of the Month, bookowlie.

Moderators: bookowlie, Special Discussion Leaders

kimekemar
Favorite Author: Kim Ekemar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimekemar.html
fav_author_id: 31759

Guest Post: The Many Approaches to Writing by Kim Ekemar

Post by kimekemar »

THE MANY APPROACHES TO WRITING
By Kim Ekemar
(author of the August Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties)

At school I was taught to begin with a skeleton synopsis, brief but precise, before dressing this with the main body of work. Speaking for myself, this approach has worked for me when creating a full novel manuscript. However, it’s important to underline that inspiration sometimes works in mysterious ways also without a synopsis. It’s interesting to study how some great authors in the past have used different approaches to get their words together.

I doubt that Alexandre Dumas (France, 1802-1870) could have followed my teacher’s instruction. Dumas started out as a successful playwright for the theatre before turning to writing novels. He invented the “roman-feuilleton”, i.e. the serial story, when his novels were published in daily papers chapter by chapter on a weekly, and often more frequent, basis. With the help of Auguste Maquet, who made the historical research for him, Dumas turned into one of history’s most prolific writers. Merely consider that, during the years 1844-1846, he simultaneously wrote The Three Musketeers; its follow-up Twenty Years After; The Count of Monte Cristo; and an additional four novels. That’s more than 5,000 printed pages of quality text in three years, handwritten by Dumas and produced by him thanks to a daily 13-hour work discipline and the absence of a writing block. The editing, however, never bothered Dumas; it was done by the daily paper when the chapter was typeset. Incredibly, since each chapter was published as soon as it was finished, this work method implicates that Dumas had to adhere to anything previously published – there was no way of going back and adjusting the story if the need arose.

Another productive writer was the Russian count, Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910), whose masterpiece is the lengthy War and Peace that took him seven years to write. The count purposefully arranged his hours awake into four strict segments. Although he belonged to the nobility and was a rich man with many employees, he began the day with hard physical labor like wood-cutting or clearing snow. He dedicated the time from breakfast until dinner at 1:00 p.m. to writing and activities of the mind. From dinner until supper, he concentrated on artisan labor and dexterous workmanship. Then, after supper, it was family time and social activities.

The Swedish author Fritiof Nilsson the Pirate (1898-1972), developed his own particular style of writing. He wrote one 250-word page, meticulously editing that page until it became a polished gem before starting on the next one. In recognition that he wasn’t a fast writer, he composed his own tombstone epitaph that reads: “Here lies a man who all his life was late, until he on his last day improved his ways”.

Anthony Burgess (Great Britain, 1917-1993), best known for A Clockwork Orange, was a teacher when he in 1956 was told by his medic that a brain tumor only allowed him one more year to live. Since he desired to leave his wife with some income after his looming death, he used the remainder of the time he had been estimated to live with the goal of writing five novels. He had nearly met his target, finishing four and a half of these, when he was told that the information about his brain tumor had been incorrect – his death sentence had been a bureaucratic mistake. Nevertheless, Anthony Burgess didn’t believe in planning a novel using a synopsis. When interviewed, Burgess said he believed “over-planning is fatal to creativity, since the unconscious mind and the act of writing itself are indispensable guides”. He wouldn’t have got good grades with my middle school teacher, for sure, but I’m sure he would have merely shrugged his shoulders. Burgess had some interesting ideas how to present the text of his novels. One of these is Napoleon Symphony, in which the novel’s structure is shaped using Beethoven’s Eroica symphony.

Perhaps the most bizarre writing material ever used was the 120-foot scroll of tracing paper Jack Kerouac (USA, 1922-1969) assembled writing his epic On the Road, celebrating his travels with Neal Cassady in the late forties. It was written during a three-month burst of inspiration, typed single-spaced and without margins or paragraph breaks. Its uniqueness, together with the attraction of its content no doubt, caused the original manuscript to sell for 1.43 million dollars at auction not long ago.

After Johannes Gutenberg (Germany, 1398-1468) invented the mechanical moveable type printing, the coming centuries saw a need to distinguish letters and sentences to make the text easier to read. Hence the dot over “i” and “j”; the elongated letters (extenders) upwards or downwards; and the invention of punctuation. The sometimes confusing rules of the latter was a technique Claude Simon (France, 1913-2005) challenged for poetic purposes, and for this he won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1985. However difficult it is to read the text, it should be seen as an experimental way to receive a certain poetic continuity.

Julio Cortázar (Argentina, 1914-1984) was another author interested in experiments. The preface to his book Hopscotch encourages the reader to read the chapters not in the way they are presented, but by jumping back and forth at leisure. A surreal way of getting a reading experience, no doubt, and to make it work, I have no doubt that Cortázar needed a very precise synopsis to write it.

Personally, I use the synopsis as a tool for longer works (i.e. novels). It’s great to have a backbone you can use to flesh out your test, but I find it more exciting to make up things while working. Other tools I use are newspaper cuttings or downloaded articles I’ve collected over the years that contain some interesting detail or point of view. I also jot down wordplays and plot ideas on pieces of paper. I regularly visit my archive to see if there’s something I can incorporate in whatever I’m writing to have parallel developments of events.

The challenge of writing with a set of conditions before the plot idea has been determined, is interesting. I asked a friend to give me two ingredients for a short story, and she came up with “a tongue-whipping mother-in law” and “a jealous wife”. I went to my archive and found two clippings, one about how people spend their time and the other about virtual reality. I stirred these four ingredients into the melting pot of my imagination and the result became Virtual Heaven. It’s a short story about the last six hours in Ole Olsen’s life. (The story can be found in my book Graveyard Grapevine.)

When it comes to short stories, I find it interesting to not just have a plot and a handful of characters. I set them in different times and places around the world, while looking for some novel approach to present the story. I have presented them through letters and diaries; a palindrome and discussions around a screenplay; a chessboard and bank transactions. I have even used a train as a metaphor for the accelerating life of a rock star (Signatures for Sale in At the Heart of the Ivory Maze). In this short story, the first paragraph uses the rhythm of a train leaving the station, stressing every third word while gathering speed. As the train picks up speed the sentences become longer until losing all commas and full stops.

A different approach – beginning with the paragraphs, then the sentences, then the words – is one I used to indicate the effect of a lethal injection as a murderer recalls the story that has led to his execution (Face Value in Graveyard Grapevine). As he recalls the events, the story becomes increasingly chopped up.

As opposed to visuals, I used expressions of noise and music in A Final Note in D-sharp minor in At the Heart of the Ivory Maze. I wanted this story about a saxophone player, who finds that his wife is cheating on him, to rattle the reader with sounds.

But, the biggest challenge – and beyond doubt, the most interesting I’ve taken on so far – was writing Homage to a Man of Letters. In it, twenty-six distinct persons write their tributes to a man who dedicated his life to words, with the relay baton being the last letter of the next person’s surname. Besides, in each essay, every author has hidden a contradictory two-word message that the reader is challenged to find.

To sum it up, there may be a million ingenious ways to get a message across, but in the end it’s the way the words are joined together that really tells the story.

view The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

Interesting to hear thoughts from the author!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I enjoyed reading your article. It's inspiring to learn about the different methods authors use to pull a story together.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Thank you for the article!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I found this article interesting. I liked learning g about the different writing methods authors might employ.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

Very interesting methods! Maybe I'll have to stray from my normal techniques and try some of these.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
gaporter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gaporter.html
Latest Review: Lives of Museum Junkies by Marilynne Eichinger
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2

Post by gaporter »

I had no idea about some of these eccentric writing habits by these well-known writers, what a great history lesson in addition to inspiration about writing techniques.
NICA ALBERT RANCES
Currently Reading: They'll Never Die
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by NICA ALBERT RANCES »

I already got some techniques although Im not an aurthor, I least I have a knowledge. Thanks ang job well done.
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

Inspiring and helpful! Many thanks for this article.
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Inspiring and relatable. Thanks a lot for this. I'm sure it'll come in handy for several people.
Maria joraimah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 92854">The Zodiac Killer</a>
Currently Reading: Unbroken
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Maria joraimah »

I'd say it's an honor to directly get writing techniques from an author. Aspiring writers can learn a lot from this article. Thank you for sharing.
" HAPPINESS is finding PEACE within yourself! " :D
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

Writing is certainly not a one-size fits all thing, and understanding and appreciating the diversity of approaches is truly important. Thanks for pointing that out with historical examples.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I think to be fair to this article, I would have to read it over again. I find it helpful and wish to study the different ways that author's have used to come up with the great works.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Faith Atieno okoth
Currently Reading: For the Love of Suzanne
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-atieno-okoth.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Faith Atieno okoth »

It was too inspirational
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

It's always fascinating to see how the greats do it themselves. This is really interesting stuff, thanks so much for sharing!

Return to “Author Articles”