Selling An Incomplete Book While You're Still Writing It.

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Denv12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Selling An Incomplete Book While You're Still Writing It.

Post by Denv12 »

I'm still writing a book and still finding other book ideas to write about too.What would you do if someone offered to buy your book as is despite it not being completed? How do you determine what would be an acceptable price for it? Where do you start in the negotiation process? Are their any complications that need to be dealt with? Do you need to write a legal document stating what they can and can not do once they purchase the book? Has anyone been through that experience before? I hope you can help. Thank you.

Regards Denv12.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

This does happen in non-fiction; agents and some publishers will accept proposals for non-fiction books that have yet to be written (presumably to save you doing all that research, but I'm guessing there ;)) I know nothing about non-fiction, so I can't be of any use to you if that's what you're writing.

If you're talking about fiction, I'm afraid it's never, ever going to happen, purely because that's not how the industry works. If it has happened, run a mile; whoever's offering this to you is not legit and should be reported. A lot of people start writing a novel, but very few have the dedication needed to finish it. Agents and publishers are already inundated with completed projects to sort through; they're not going to take a chance on a book that might not even be completed.

By 'price,' I assume you're talking about advances and royalties (ie, the money the author gets). You don't get to decide that; the publishers tell you what they'll pay. It'll probably be very small to start out with, since unknown authors don't tend to sell. While you might get a little wiggle room ("I have 1.5 million followers on my Twitter writing account and an endorsement from Famous Author, so I think it's likely to sell,") it's very unlikely.

Publishers and agents have a bog-standard in-house contract for you to sign. Unless you're mega-famous, you don't get to negotiate. JK Rowling, for example, could probably name her own terms, but otherwise, you're tied to the same legal restrictions as everybody else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what they can and cannot do once they purchase the book." Do you mean, "Okay, you can make a movie about it, but only if you let me approve the script and you have to cast Actors A, B and C!"? If so, you don't get to decide that either. Selling your book is a bit like selling your house; once the new owners have possession, you don't have any legal right to complain if they decide to remodel the kitchen ;)
Denv12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Denv12 »

Thank you JudasFM. I appreciate your reply.
I guess there's a lot to learn about the selling a book process I hadnt realised.

I thought about a situation if I had someone who proof read the book and then felt they could do something about getting the book published by self publishing the book.If they were to offer to buy what I've written so far then complete the document by putting it onto software to complete the book in that way then pay for it to be published themselves.What would be a price to start for me to sell it?

If they tried to claim they wrote the book themselves well,thats just a wrong thing to do.They could add their name to the book as contributing to the book as whatever.I guess its like anything you sell,once you sell it its theirs.

Thanks again.Regards Denv12.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

It's okay :) We all had to start somewhere.

Honestly, I'm still not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that (for example) you write 50% of the book, send it for proofreading and the person wants to finish writing the other 50% and publish it on your behalf? If that's the case, why wouldn't you finish it yourself?

If you're saying that you write 50% and decide you don't want to finish it, but you still want to see it published, then you would hire a ghostwriter. In that case, you would pay them, not the other way around. I've never heard of anyone paying to do someone else's writing except in the case of copyright (for example, if I wanted to write a Harry Potter book, I'd have to pay JK Rowling a huge amount of money to get permission to use her characters. This is why some authors can be a bit touchy about fanfiction.) In that case, however, I'm not paying to publish JK Rowling's work; I'm paying her a flat fee because I want to use her characters and world to make money for myself, and so I'm compensating her for lost royalties.

If your work is 100% complete and your proofreader says, "Hey, I love this and I want to get it published!" then that's something that also isn't likely to happen. "I love this and you should get it published!" is far more likely.

I have formatted stuff to publication standards in the past for a beta reader of mine, but that was partly as a thank you, partly because I know that particular reader's clueless about technology :P "Format this for publication on Amazon as a favor," is fine. "Format this for publication on Amazon and pay me X hundred dollars for letting you do it," isn't.

However, self-publishing (via Amazon Kindle etc) is 100% free, so there's no reason why you couldn't do it yourself. Formatting the book with chapter headings for Kindle can be slightly tricky, but there are plenty of tutorials to show you how to do it. Again, no one is going to pay you for the privilege of working for you. This goes both ways: if anyone says they'll publish your book for X dollars, don't fall for it, or at least do your research very carefully and ask a lot of questions beforehand. Unfortunately, most of us make a financial loss on our first book, since we're not famous enough to pull in readers and we still have to pay cover designers ;) ("You have to pay me to let you pay a sham publishing house thousands?" Yeah...I can't see many people going for that ;))

If a publishing house charges you thousands to publish, or if it charges a "reading" or "editing" fee, run :D
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Denv12 wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 18:02 I'm still writing a book and still finding other book ideas to write about too.What would you do if someone offered to buy your book as is despite it not being completed? How do you determine what would be an acceptable price for it? Where do you start in the negotiation process? Are their any complications that need to be dealt with? Do you need to write a legal document stating what they can and can not do once they purchase the book? Has anyone been through that experience before? I hope you can help. Thank you.

Regards Denv12.
I look forward to seeing responses to this.

My take though - what are your goals? Were you looking for an agent to publish your book traditionally? Then maybe you have good luck! Did you have plans beyond the book e.g. to create a company and merchandise around it? In that case, are you willing to leat go of your dreams?

Your big picture needs to be really clear to you. That way you can make informed decisions at every stage.

You'll need to know whether or not you want to own your book and its entire brand (because you might want to add more books in that line) or to give it all away to someone/a company that will benefit from your creativity.

You might also want to consider becoming a ghost writer and being hired for such services. That could be an additional source of income for you.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

JudasFm wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 06:56 This does happen in non-fiction; agents and some publishers will accept proposals for non-fiction books that have yet to be written (presumably to save you doing all that research, but I'm guessing there ;)) I know nothing about non-fiction, so I can't be of any use to you if that's what you're writing.

If you're talking about fiction, I'm afraid it's never, ever going to happen, purely because that's not how the industry works. If it has happened, run a mile; whoever's offering this to you is not legit and should be reported. A lot of people start writing a novel, but very few have the dedication needed to finish it. Agents and publishers are already inundated with completed projects to sort through; they're not going to take a chance on a book that might not even be completed.

By 'price,' I assume you're talking about advances and royalties (ie, the money the author gets). You don't get to decide that; the publishers tell you what they'll pay. It'll probably be very small to start out with, since unknown authors don't tend to sell. While you might get a little wiggle room ("I have 1.5 million followers on my Twitter writing account and an endorsement from Famous Author, so I think it's likely to sell,") it's very unlikely.

Publishers and agents have a bog-standard in-house contract for you to sign. Unless you're mega-famous, you don't get to negotiate. JK Rowling, for example, could probably name her own terms, but otherwise, you're tied to the same legal restrictions as everybody else.

I'm not sure what you mean by "what they can and cannot do once they purchase the book." Do you mean, "Okay, you can make a movie about it, but only if you let me approve the script and you have to cast Actors A, B and C!"? If so, you don't get to decide that either. Selling your book is a bit like selling your house; once the new owners have possession, you don't have any legal right to complain if they decide to remodel the kitchen ;)
These are great points! Very helpful information.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Denv12 wrote: 02 Nov 2019, 16:44 Thank you JudasFM. I appreciate your reply.
I guess there's a lot to learn about the selling a book process I hadnt realised.

I thought about a situation if I had someone who proof read the book and then felt they could do something about getting the book published by self publishing the book.If they were to offer to buy what I've written so far then complete the document by putting it onto software to complete the book in that way then pay for it to be published themselves.What would be a price to start for me to sell it?

If they tried to claim they wrote the book themselves well,thats just a wrong thing to do.They could add their name to the book as contributing to the book as whatever.I guess its like anything you sell,once you sell it its theirs.

Thanks again.Regards Denv12.
Yes, there's a lot to learn. One needs to research a lot before making a decision.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

JudasFm wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 21:21 It's okay :) We all had to start somewhere.

Honestly, I'm still not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that (for example) you write 50% of the book, send it for proofreading and the person wants to finish writing the other 50% and publish it on your behalf? If that's the case, why wouldn't you finish it yourself?

If you're saying that you write 50% and decide you don't want to finish it, but you still want to see it published, then you would hire a ghostwriter. In that case, you would pay them, not the other way around. I've never heard of anyone paying to do someone else's writing except in the case of copyright (for example, if I wanted to write a Harry Potter book, I'd have to pay JK Rowling a huge amount of money to get permission to use her characters. This is why some authors can be a bit touchy about fanfiction.) In that case, however, I'm not paying to publish JK Rowling's work; I'm paying her a flat fee because I want to use her characters and world to make money for myself, and so I'm compensating her for lost royalties.

If your work is 100% complete and your proofreader says, "Hey, I love this and I want to get it published!" then that's something that also isn't likely to happen. "I love this and you should get it published!" is far more likely.

I have formatted stuff to publication standards in the past for a beta reader of mine, but that was partly as a thank you, partly because I know that particular reader's clueless about technology :P "Format this for publication on Amazon as a favor," is fine. "Format this for publication on Amazon and pay me X hundred dollars for letting you do it," isn't.

However, self-publishing (via Amazon Kindle etc) is 100% free, so there's no reason why you couldn't do it yourself. Formatting the book with chapter headings for Kindle can be slightly tricky, but there are plenty of tutorials to show you how to do it. Again, no one is going to pay you for the privilege of working for you. This goes both ways: if anyone says they'll publish your book for X dollars, don't fall for it, or at least do your research very carefully and ask a lot of questions beforehand. Unfortunately, most of us make a financial loss on our first book, since we're not famous enough to pull in readers and we still have to pay cover designers ;) ("You have to pay me to let you pay a sham publishing house thousands?" Yeah...I can't see many people going for that ;))

If a publishing house charges you thousands to publish, or if it charges a "reading" or "editing" fee, run :D
This is very insightful. Thank you for sharing.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

It happens sometimes while author wishes to have a sequel to the book he is current writing.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I think you are putting the cart before the horse. If you are an unknown author, the chance of someone offering to buy your book before it is completed is virtually nil. Jude Austin's comments above are realistic and helpful. You should read them and take note. He knows what he is talking about.
My advice? Finish writing your book and only then worry about contracts and payment terms.
Sampson Mimgba
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Sampson Mimgba »

Selling an incomplete book while you are still writing it is not a common practice in the publishing industry. Most publishers and agents prefer to see a completed manuscript before they consider representing or publishing it ¹². This is because it's difficult to know how much more time is needed to finish the book until it's as good as it can be. Writing a book to a publishable level is a lot more than just finishing the first draft. Before submitting your work to an agent or publisher, you should have written the first draft, polished it through as many subsequent drafts as are needed to make it as good as you can make it, found good beta readers to go through it and give their feedback, made whatever revisions are necessary based on their feedback, and then, ideally, pulled your attention away from the book for a while so you can come back to it with fresh eyes and give it another torough reading/revising.

If you have an idea that can fill a whole book but haven't started writing yet, just write the book. You may not know it, but you're opening yourself up to yet another lame excuse not to write. Stop it! Just. Write. Worry about everything else.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”