How do I write a compelling and appealing book?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

How do I write a compelling and appealing book?

Post by Nerea »

I want to write a story that highlights about life struggles. It's my first book and I want some tips that will guide me to write a compelling and appealing story. Any thoughts please? :D
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

Write about what you know and what interests you. If you want to write about life’s struggles then ask people unabashedly what they have most struggled with in life and why. Perhaps pose the question on twitter using appropriate hashtags
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

Nerea wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 06:51 I want to write a story that highlights about life struggles. It's my first book and I want some tips that will guide me to write a compelling and appealing story. Any thoughts please? :D
Have you overcome some struggles? That could be a starting point.

Secondly, what are you both passionate and knowledgable about? Would anyone be willing to pay for that information?

Third, who are you writing for? What are their struggles? If you answer their questions, your book will be compelling and appealing to them.

Find out what your target readers find compelling and appealing and handle those in your book to the best of your ability. Follow that up with great editing and design, not to forget marketing! Then you'll be good to go.

Learn all you can from your favorite authors and from outstanding authors. Join groups and learn from them. Groups around your book's idea and groups that have your potential customers/readers.

Oh how I do go on! Try those first, then let us know how it goes!

All the best!!
04092B
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by 04092B »

I have the same interest of slice of life book genres. For me, being able to relate to the character is a useful way in order to keep readers engaged. Make something relatable experience that is a universal struggle to maybe all humans that will make us root for the protagonists.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”