Plan to Promote Your Book

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
Latest Review: "Smiling Exercises, and Other Stories" by Dan Malakin
fav_author_id: 2947

Re: Plan to Promote Your Book - FREE

Post by chytach18- »

Downloaded and read it already. Writing review. Possibly publish it tomorrow on Amazon, after work. Great book, Scott.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

chytach18- wrote:Downloaded and read it already. Writing review. Possibly publish it tomorrow on Amazon, after work. Great book, Scott.
Thank you! :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Just finished reading the book and loved it! The part warning against promoting your book too soon to an in-person book club is spot on. I belong to an in-person book club and this situation arose with an author several months ago. The author joined and attended one get-together (we occasionally schedule outings aside from the book meetings). She told the organizer that she wrote a book and requested permission to email the members her manuscript. The book was in pre-order status on Amazon; she was interested in having people read the book and then post an Amazon review. Well, she never attended a book meeting or outing after that. Guess what...no one read the book.

My point is that I am sure we would have all read the book and posted a review if: A) she had continued to attend meetings; and B) as you mentioned in your book, she had waited to request that people read her book vs. requesting it at the first meeting and then never returning
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
SusanR
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanr.html

Post by SusanR »

Book read and Amazon review posted. Thought it was a great guide and glad that you mentioned the importance of social media. I am finding a lot of books that I want to read by getting to know authors in on line book clubs.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Thank you, @"SusanR"!

And @bookowlie I implemented your suggestion and created a forum about marketing and promotion for authors. Well actually I made it "for writers" so as to not exclude anyone.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

I think it will be a great discussion forum for authors to share ideas and ask questions based on the tools you mentioned in your book.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I downloaded it, read it, and reviewed it! It's a great help for people new to self-publishing!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
chytach18-
Favorite Author: John Fowles
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3">Strange Case of Dr Jekill and Mr Hyde</a>
Currently Reading: Dark Corners
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chytach18.html
fav_author_id: 2947

Post by chytach18- »

Had send a review to Amazon.co.uk.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hey, Scott! I bought it and will read it soon. (I think I missed the free period, but I have no one to blame but myself!) :o Great job getting it so popular!! :-)

-- October 5th, 2015, 11:22 pm --

OMG, Scott, I read it! Wonderful! Wonderful! I loved it! Great book!!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read it and sent a review to Amazon. Good work! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Amy's plan to promote your book:

Step 1: Be Scott Hughes.

The end.

Hahahaha hahaha.
Kesia Alexandra

Post by Kesia Alexandra »

The book was actually how I found out about this website. I think someone shared it on Twitter. I have found both the book and the website helpful. Congrats on your success!
mari_maria

Post by mari_maria »

it is the absolute truth! The book's success depends on marketing and promotion, as well as on interesting content.
does anyone use sites of books promotion? :geek2:
thanks in advance!)
prospero1501
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero1501.html

Post by prospero1501 »

A few days ago, I was having lunch at Panera Bread with my husband, when the thought occurred to me that the restaurant would be the perfect place to have a Meet an Author event. Other places of interest would include book stores, libraries, Starbucks, and even craft shows. These places constantly advertise events at the entrance or the cash register. Why shouldn't you be one of them? But I digress.
I thought to myself that I ought to write to the managers of these businesses to schedule a Meet an Author event, but after some brainstorming, I concluded that there is a certain way to do this. You don't want to appear pushy or narcissistic, so how should you word the letter?
A nice letter should read much like an agent query, but should include the following:
1. A nice greeting, like, "To the Manager of Panera Bread." Or even better, try to find out their name.
2. First Paragraph: Introduce yourself and explain that you are a local author who would like to host an author event at the place of business, for the following reasons:
3. Second Paragraph: First reason: The event would benefit the business by driving higher levels of customer traffic to the store on that particular day, which would result in more sales for them. The only sacrifice on their part would be one table near the entrance for about four hours. You need to sit somewhere, right?
4. Third Paragraph: Second reason: Explain that the event can help the community because you plan to donate a percentage of your sales to a local charity. Offer to let THEM choose the charity, and they just might take you up on your offer. A win-win situation.
5. Last Paragraph: Thank them for taking the time to read your request, and express the hope that you will receive a reply soon. You may or may not hear a reply. If your request is refused, be polite, and try somewhere else. You just never know who might say yes!
6. Sign your name, and leave your contact information, along with the best time to reach you.
What you are probably wondering is how this will benefit YOU, the writer, the one who sacrificed Game of Thrones time, time with the spouse, and many hours of much-needed sleep. As you may have guessed, I'm going to tell you. Exposure, exposure, exposure. As a new writer, you can never have too much of this. When you sit there at your chosen place of business at a table full of shiny new copies of the book you wrote, you get the opportunity to chat with people about it, make a bit of money, and even get the thrill of signing autographs!
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

I am in the process of reading your book: 10 Step Plan to Promoting Your Book. I've found that I am doing some of this already! So happy about that! I am going to do these 10 steps religiously and keep my fingers, toes, eyes and anything else that is cross-able crossed! :lol2:

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”