New Author - learning from mistakes

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
AetherPirate
Bookshelf Size: 1

New Author - learning from mistakes

Post by AetherPirate »

I bought Scott's book about book promotion today, and found it painfully helpful. Painful, because as a new author I was very eager to get my book out there and published. As a result, I rushed through the editing phase like a kid racing through dinner so he can have dessert. As I started reading my work on a kindle, I was horrified to see glaring errors and omissions, such as a missing word in my very first sentence. I quickly fixed many issues and uploaded a new version. I fear I missed other things. Its embarrassing, and I'm feeling quite foolish.

So, have other authors here used the onlinebookclub editing service? If so, how did it work out? Was the price fair, and the end result satisfactory? I know I am approaching this rather backwards now, but I want to fix my first attempt at writing and publishing and give it a proper try.
Ezekiel Azazel
Currently Reading: Rape of the Nile
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reading Device: B00KHA5G6G
Publishing Contest Votes: 6

Post by Ezekiel Azazel »

I've used the review service, and I was thrilled. Everybody here in admin is very approachable, communicates fantastic, and timely with responses.
ReadDear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ReadDear »

I hired a professional editor for my book.
"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all." – Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
Rachel McClellan

Post by Rachel McClellan »

I haven't used their service, but there are a LOT of really good editors. I would ask for recommendations from other authors instead of finding one on your own.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I hired a book doctor for one of my books, and I am glad I did. Some of them charge a pretty penny, so it might take a while to find a good one that is cheaper. Writing conferences are probably the best bet for finding book doctors and editors, and the often offer deals to attendees.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
megmcqueen
Favorite Author: M.M. Cameron
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megmcqueen.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
fav_author_id: 50879

Post by megmcqueen »

I chose a UK based editor who had a nice resume and quick turnaround time. I would recommend him, but yes expensive and in pounds!
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
brianference

Post by brianference »

True to form I have probably made each and every mistake possible but I am learning so much and excited to launch my second book (once it is finished) in the correct or at least improved manner.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

AetherPirate wrote:I bought Scott's book about book promotion today, and found it painfully helpful. Painful, because as a new author I was very eager to get my book out there and published. As a result, I rushed through the editing phase like a kid racing through dinner so he can have dessert. As I started reading my work on a kindle, I was horrified to see glaring errors and omissions, such as a missing word in my very first sentence. I quickly fixed many issues and uploaded a new version. I fear I missed other things. Its embarrassing, and I'm feeling quite foolish.

So, have other authors here used the onlinebookclub editing service? If so, how did it work out? Was the price fair, and the end result satisfactory? I know I am approaching this rather backwards now, but I want to fix my first attempt at writing and publishing and give it a proper try.
It is easy to make a lot of mistakes. I did things similar to you and gradually worked my way up to spending more time making the product perfect, and in general it has worked out for me. The thing is, becoming an author means a lot of trial and error, and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Just be willing to learn.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Barbara Dominick

Post by Barbara Dominick »

I learned the hard way also that a good editor is a precious and priceless gift you give to your work. No matter how many times I read my work, there's always something I miss!
Billy Pro

Post by Billy Pro »

I am just a book reader. :))
nathcc

Post by nathcc »

My 'mistake' found me when I woke from a dream. I sometimes wish it had remained so, or even a nightmare that I could hide behind the couch from. But I couldn't help but relay it to my fiancee, who lay resting her head on my chest. My imagination running a mock!
Even after having it professionally (a favour) proof read, I still found errors. One million hours, one thousand headaches and a reduced hair flow later, that's it!

Of course, I have a further seven titles I'm working on, but that's just the pill of the pull pushing me on...
jlynnp
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlynnp.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by jlynnp »

Hey, don't beat yourself up about your mistakes. All the editing mistakes are haunting but when you invest the time and money into getting your book properly edited your readers will love you for it. Too many mistakes makes me as a reader quickly disengage with the book and stop trusting that I will gain a quality experience from the book. But no pressure or anything.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Hey! I understand this is an old post, but I just wanted to ask about the onlinebookclub editing services you mentioned. I know about the reviewing services, but somehow I haven't spotted editing services too? I am about to publish my debut novel, but not until I find an affordable editor in my field (romantic suspense).
04092B
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by 04092B »

Hiring a professional book editor is a must but if you want to do it yourself, make sure to be correct and consistent and don't make mistakes.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”