Fiction Story Apps

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Natalie Frank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Fiction Story Apps

Post by Natalie Frank »

I am curious if anyone has used any of the fiction story apps to publish anything? There are a ton out there and a number seem to really take advantage of writers but I'm wondering if anyone has used any of them and what they think. Are there any that people think are worth it? Writers are usually looking for new opportunities to make money and some are more lucrative than others. I just was wondering if they are an option even if not overly lucrative.
a1coder
Currently Reading: Nimue

Post by a1coder »

It's great to hear that you're exploring different avenues for publishing your fiction and considering the potential of fiction story apps. Indeed, the landscape of self-publishing has expanded significantly with the rise of various platforms catering to writers. While there are many options out there, it's essential to approach them with a balanced perspective.

Several fiction story apps have gained popularity, and some writers have found success using them. Apps like Wattpad, Tapas, Radish, and Webnovel have provided writers with a platform to showcase their work, connect with readers, and even earn some income. However, as you rightly mentioned, it's important to approach these platforms with a critical eye and awareness of their terms and conditions.

Read the Fine Print: Carefully review the terms of use, payment structures, and any rights you might be granting to the platform. Make sure you understand how your work will be used and how you'll be compensated.

Community Engagement: Some platforms offer opportunities for writers to interact with readers and receive feedback, which can be valuable for improving your writing and building a fan base.

Monetization Models: Different apps have different ways of generating income for writers, such as ad revenue sharing, premium content subscriptions, or direct reader payments. Research which model aligns with your goals.

Reader Base: Look into the app's user base and demographic to determine if your target audience aligns with the platform's readership.

Reviews and Testimonials: Research the experiences of other writers who have used the platform. Look for both positive and negative feedback to get a well-rounded understanding.

Balancing Exposure and Income: While some apps might not be extremely lucrative, they could still provide exposure and networking opportunities that can benefit your writing career in the long run.

Protecting Your Work: Consider how your intellectual property will be protected and what rights you're comfortable granting to the platform.
a1coder
Currently Reading: Nimue

Post by a1coder »

Ultimately, the choice of whether to use fiction story apps for publishing depends on your personal goals, preferences, and the terms offered by each platform. Many writers have found success by diversifying their publishing strategy, utilizing a mix of traditional publishing, self-publishing, and platform-based publishing to reach a broader audience. Remember to do your research, engage with the writing community, and make informed decisions based on your individual aspirations as a writer.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I agree with the comments above, your strategy depends on your target market. Whichever route you choose, check the small print and make sure that you are not prevented from publishing your work on multiple platforms.
Some years ago I tried self-publishing a few eBooks. I used Lulu as my publisher and Amazon as the marketing route. As it was an experiment, I tried different price points and different covers to see if it made any difference to sales. It does! Because it was costing me nothing to publish (Lulu and Amazon only take a percentage once a sale is made), I found that 99 cents price got me volume sales, but not a loyal following, whereas a higher price brought repeat purchases.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”