Facebook's Ever-Changing Role

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Empathry
Currently Reading: Curtain
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empathry.html

Re: Facebook's Ever-Changing Role

Post by Empathry »

Quite right. With it's novelty waning, Facebook is losing its marketing power. I think the likes , comments and general social media competitiveness doesn't leave much time or energy for the next step - buying the book.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Scott wrote:You are absolutely correct that it has changed with time. That's actually the standard long-term bait-and-switch of social sites in my opinion. Nowadays, I think Facebook is awful for marketing, both organic and paid. I went to this in a little detail in the 10 Step Plan.
Yeah it seems like every month Facebook tries to add something new or change something, and not usually for the better. Visibility is so much more expensive over there now, so it's hard to stand out.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
BookHausJ
Currently Reading: Health Tips Myth and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookhausj.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by BookHausJ »

People changed. Market changed. No perfect approach and no permanent approach. That is life changing. Marketing is continues and never ending improvement. No single approach fits all the time. That's the essence of Business. But still in my opinion, one thing that is very classic approach is "Word of Mouth Advertising,' with personal touch or one on one Talk.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
safensecurestorage
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by safensecurestorage »

Facebook gives you some useful options for changing what kinds of stories you see in the News Feed, and homing in on stories featuring the friends you're most contacted with.
vinsam

Post by vinsam »

for fb adds will have certain limits and also some the agencies are working for the add company link they work is just making the add are users are more getting into actually works but we dont know this. organic traffic is very less in this paid add.
RicReviews

Post by RicReviews »

Almost everyone who wants to sell from peanuts growing in their potted plants in the window, to carrots growing out of their hats, come to FB just to promote their product/services.
They do not give a fig about what you are selling – most of them that is.
Paid FB advertising would yield you the same results, with one difference - FB would make money, not you.
You could be in 100 FB groups, the results would be the same.
FB is not as good as it used to be for selling goods.
Who knows? Perhaps one day (closer than we think!) FB may go the MySpace way! Unless they revamp their strategies. :)
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I struggle with Facebook. I have a page for my writing/editing business and post new content there frequently. I also try to participate in the writing groups but I find that when I share things I've written or creative things my business is doing, people like it but don't actually engage with it. These likes don't turn into leads or page likes or comments or actually clicking on the links to read my content. It can be frustrating.
Bookmaniac
Currently Reading: The Last Stop
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Bookmaniac »

All of these comments are spot on. Facebook advertising isn't very productive. I have found that it's a good way to share with my current fanbase (book release information, etc), but not necessarily where a growing sales number comes from.
marksm121

Post by marksm121 »

Facebook is an effective way to promote or marketing of your books or any kind of business
losTcHild50

Post by losTcHild50 »

Leigh M Lane wrote: 06 Jul 2016, 15:38 The most effective tools I've found so far have been doing promotional discounts or freebies--which you have to advertise well or else they'll flop--and researching book bloggers to query for reviews. FB clicks absolutely do not translate to sales. Once upon a time, FB drove sales well, but the last several ad campaigns I ran were total wastes of money. If you're going to spend money, spend it on a handful of book blogger websites that will advertise your promotional price. You still might not break even, but you'll see some sales.
Very helpful - thank you for sharing! :)
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

I think Facebook is still a useful place to promote your book. However a short video on TikTok or YouTube is probably even better.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”