Public Libraries?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
wandavoy
Currently Reading: Athenticity:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Public Libraries?

Post by wandavoy »

Since marketing and promotion is all about getting the book/ebook out there, free or not, I can only guess this is the forum for this question.
Have any of you considered giving your book/ebook to a library system?
I'm considering this.
Sure, that means the ebook would be free, but many play that game, anyway, through Kindle and the other ebook services.
What are your thoughts?
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I know several authors who have had trouble getting the library to stock their book even for free.

Over 2 million books are published each year. Like readers who have limited time, libraries have limited space. So they are very selective about which books they choose, even if the book is free.

A $10 price tag on the book shouldn't be the deciding factor for a library or a reader. Time/space is the hidden price tag. A book needs to be worth thousands of dollars for someone to invest the time to read it or the valuable space to stock it. What's $10 compared to thousands?

If an indie author finds the $10 price tag makes the different, then I would absolutely give them the book. If the library wanted the indie author to pay the library to stock the book, that would probably be a good idea to. The new or indie author is unfortunately fighting an uphill battle.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
MJ Chantel
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mj-chantel.html

Post by MJ Chantel »

Instead of stocking your book with a library, have you considered contacting your local library to do a meet the author and a writing class? A lot of libraries have writing groups and usually enjoy having local authors come in talk about their book, their writing process and give out some writing tips.

But if you really want to get your book into circulation, the easiest way would be to donate a hard copy. Most libraries don't refuse donations, but might if it is an eBook as that requires a bit more labor.
wandavoy
Currently Reading: Athenticity:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by wandavoy »

That's food for thought,MJ Chantel. Thank you for the suggestions.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I've had good luck with libraries in my area, as far as stocking my first book and letting me do a couple of paid classes on the art of writing. But I guess it would depend on the library, and how well the librarian in question likes your book and your work. I try to make it a point to make friends with them- it pays off later on.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

karolinka wrote:I've had good luck with libraries in my area, as far as stocking my first book and letting me do a couple of paid classes on the art of writing. But I guess it would depend on the library, and how well the librarian in question likes your book and your work. I try to make it a point to make friends with them- it pays off later on.
That is a great plan. Libraries can be great, but it is a hard market to break into.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

I'm not a writer, but as a reader I can say that public libraries are a great way to promote your books. I visit the library pretty often and that's usually how I discover new authors. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I'm more likely to read books by authors I've seen in a library than ones I haven't. Anyways, I think libraries are the way to go, even if they are free.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

Dh_ wrote:I'm not a writer, but as a reader I can say that public libraries are a great way to promote your books. I visit the library pretty often and that's usually how I discover new authors. I'm only speaking for myself here, but I'm more likely to read books by authors I've seen in a library than ones I haven't. Anyways, I think libraries are the way to go, even if they are free.
I would love to just donate copies to libraries for people to check out. what usually happens with donations, though, is that they end up just selling the donated copies for almost nothing in sales to help with their funding. I don't really mind that in the grand scheme of things, but it keeps me from donating as often as I would like because copies aren't cheap.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Public libraries are hard to get your books into. If you know key figures that are involved in the library, it will be easier. Actually, some libraries let local writers come and promote their books by having an event. That way, you can gain some attention to your book and build a relationship with the library. So in the future, getting your books into the library will be a lot easier.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Barbara Dominick

Post by Barbara Dominick »

Good advise... library is worth a try, especially if you have a good relationship with them.
Cinderella53

Post by Cinderella53 »

This was the recognized traditional thing to do back in day. However, today I would suggest indirectly introducing your book on the sideline by offering writing classes and let it be promoted organically.
miracleugochukwu
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by miracleugochukwu »

It is true, public libraries are hard to get your books into especially if that is your first book
Ariana sandhu

Post by Ariana sandhu »

It would be difficult to get your book into a public library.
fergie
Currently Reading: Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fergie.html
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi

Post by fergie »

Libraries will be tough just because of the sheer amount of books out there. A reader to a library will likely be looking for the latest bestsellers, or classic books, or may be browsing to find something really good that takes their interest. And *all* library books are free to the reader. So you're competing with the best writers and best selling books out there for readers. And, from the point of view of the librarian, there are so many self published books these days too, they couldn't possibly all be stocked - nowhere near all the regularly published ones can.

That said, local libraries are a great idea to try, especially if your book is set locally, and if you offer to do events as well. Has to be worth a punt.
Latest Review: "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi
Bookmaniac
Currently Reading: The Last Stop
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Bookmaniac »

Many public libraries have a very specific system to get books on their shelves. While they don't turn down donations, the truth is many of those actually go into "library sales" days, and are simply sold to support the library.
Of course, contact your local library to learn about their methods, and other ways they can promote you!

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”