Art in books

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
rikka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Art in books

Post by rikka »

Do you guys think that books with art in it are preferable than books without graphics? If so, what type of art do you guys prefer? (cute children's book-like art, realistic, abstract, etc...)
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

I'd rather imagine scenes in my head than have a picture laid out for me. It's also why I'm not a fan of movie adaptations.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

I prefer no art myself. Having my imagination do the work makes the book more exciting.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Post by bruin »

Generally, I like books without art. I do enjoy children's books with illustrations, such as Eric Carle or Mo Willems.
rikka

Post by rikka »

Thank you everyone for the reply. So... when it comes to novels, minimal to no art is preferable. How about poem books and books with short stories geared towards teens to adult? What do you guys think?
chemgeek
Currently Reading: The Alchemyst (The Secrets of The Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1)
Bookshelf Size: 68

Post by chemgeek »

I do enjoy a book with a nice drawing or little doodles it just gives it a bit of personality in my opinion, but at the same time if a book is captivating you wont even notice if theres any pictures you'll just fly through it!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

I would say no art but for two exceptions:

The ORIGINAL illustrations in A.C. Doyle's Sherlock Holmes cannon, and the ORIGINAL illustrations in books by Dickens. In Dickens case I feel the illustrative plates perfectly capture the feel of the writing style.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I would only prefer art in children's books. Once you get to a certain age, it's preferable to imagine for yourself.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

Books with no art for me, unless it's a cute children's book, and then yes. Otherwise, if I read a good novel, pictures are not necessary- I let the author picture with words.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Zeenada
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeenada.html

Post by Zeenada »

I love art in books when it's done creatively, I've been reading lots of children's books lately and while I don't like illustrations as much I like the creative use of art and other interesting extras in books. I remember reading The Floods by Colin Thompson and there were always lots of funny footnotes at the bottom of the page and it was always exciting to see a footnote because of that, or one of my friends was saying that they read Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events where it described the night as pitch black and went on to include two full pages of solid black ink to demonstrate how black it was (I haven't read the books yet but they're definitely on my to read list) I also always loved how Animorphs had a picture in the bottom right corner of the page so that when you flipped through the book it would move.

To summarise I'm not a huge fan of illustrations in books but I think art can be really effective if it's there for a purpose like to make the book more interactive.
Lincoln
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Very Loving Caterpillar
Bookshelf Size: 48
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Lincoln »

rikka wrote:Do you guys think that books with art in it are preferable than books without graphics? If so, what type of art do you guys prefer? (cute children's book-like art, realistic, abstract, etc...)
I like more realistic art, but it's all personal preference.
Lincoln's book, Raven's Peak is the OnlineBookClub.org April 2017 Book of the Month.

View Raven's Peak on Lincoln's website.

View Raven's Peak on Bookshelves
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I write and read children stories so I prefer children book illustrations.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”