What do you look for in a good book cover?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Moonlight91
Currently Reading: Serial K Returns
Bookshelf Size: 12

Re: What do you look for in a good book cover?

Post by Moonlight91 »

The cover must say something about the story but not give away too much. :D There is the saying: don't judge a book by its cover - but let's be honest... we wouldn't go for a book in the store if the cover is not to our liking.

I tend to pick up books with very simple designs. The cover shouldn't be to overloaded.
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

If I know a movie is a book first and I'm interested in it, I'll go for it/look for it regardless. Other than that, I mostly have a description in my mind of what I want to read, and I search words or genres along those lines. If I am in a bookstore/library, I'll go into that section, look at spine titles, try my luck, and go straight to the back of the book for the summary.

Then, I go by authors I like. And sometimes by books that have chapter previews within them.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
JazmynElizabeth
Favorite Author: Martina Cole
Currently Reading: If I Should Die
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jazmynelizabeth.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor
fav_author_id: 10914

Post by JazmynElizabeth »

Has to be eye-catching. If it's a crime fic, bloody clothes, silhouettes, knives, etc are a great way. Simple designs tend to be more eye-catching for me .
But I won't even look at a book if the font of the title doesn't perfectly match the picture. That's the main thing.
Who needs friends when you can have daddy issues and a huge home library?
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

Compelling or simple imagery does it for me.
I hate when there is too much going on and the font and illustrations are all over the place.
kgj
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kgj »

A good book cover it should have a sense of attraction ,precise and simple for a reader
quentaje
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by quentaje »

The book title is important. If it's obscured or hard to read, my eye just moves past it.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I have learned over the years to ignore the outer packaging of everything from merchandise, to people, to ideologies. It's what's inside that counts. I think we can all recount instances in our lives where the outer look of something served only to enhance expectations which later proved grossly disappointing. Therefore, the graphic artwork of a book cover is totally immaterial to me and I tend to ignore it. My book choices are exclusively based upon reviews and personal recommendations.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

I know they say, "Don't judge a book by its cover", but the book is the first impression the reader has of a book. When I'm browsing books the most attention-seeking covers are the ones I inspect thoroughly. I believe the cover should reflect the story and its ambiance. It should be made by a professional graphic designer because they know what they are doing. I have seen countless books with a poorly made cover that show an amateur just pasted images together and that's it. This only showed me the author doesn't care about the elements of his/her book. Think of it like a job interview. If you go with your grease-stained pajamas, you don't stand a chance to be hired. You have to show that person you are a professional in your field and know what you are doing.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Lizpearson
Currently Reading: Wonder
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Lizpearson »

I evaluate the book as a whole. But I prefer minimalist and somewhat austere design of book covers
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

For some reason, in a group of books, I pull out the one with blue hues on the cover first. I guess I do this because blue is my favorite color. Generally, I think a cover and title should relate to the story.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by serendipity 27 »

I can't say I'm very biased towards covers that are either very colorful or simplistic in design. I tend to look at the description more than I do the cove.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

An eye catching cover and a title that speaks to my interest would certainly draw my attention, but I always check the description before making any purchase.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

A clear image with professional layout and don't font that is simple.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

A good cover uses all those things—art, font, color usage, deatails—in harmony. There are genre-specific norms which will communicate to the audience just what kind of book this may be. I believe a cover should reflect something about the book, but this is not always the case.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

A proper depiction of the book's subject matter or at least a hint of what to expect while reading. The imagery has to capture my attention and be relevant. The typography has to be relevant and readable.

Though not talked about often, creative use of type to paint a picture of the book's subject matter without telling what the book is about.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”