What do you look for in a good book cover?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

What do you look for in a good book cover?

Post by Lgs1089 »

I'm curious to explore what others find most appealing in a book cover. What is eye-catching to you? Is it the art, font, color usage, or another detail that strikes your fancy?
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Sheharyaralam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sheharyaralam »

:techie-studyinggray: The first thing to attract eyes are the combination of good colours with specific shapes or fonts. Using white & blue colours with circular shapes have a profound effect on release of a neurotransmitter from brain which enhances the interest of viewer :tiphat:
Kduke57

Post by Kduke57 »

The art
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The title must be very bold and related to the contents of the book. Also, the artwork must be very attractive.
Kirishima

Post by Kirishima »

I tend to gravitate more towards dark books that use bright colors to contrast. Looking more for a human face then just letters. Generally if it is just a title I won’t usually even read the back. The front has to catch my eye.
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

I get attracted by the image on the cover of the book. Since I love thrillers more, I look for books with images of someone running, a face looking through the door or window, a gun and the like.
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

I love beautiful illustrations. I'm more into fantasy books, so I think covers with beautiful illustrations of a fantasy-like scene would appeal to me. The font also matters. I can see an author really put effort on the book if he even has a specific, unique font for the title.
Lgs1089
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward

Post by Lgs1089 »

Cate Mbevi wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 06:56 I get attracted by the image on the cover of the book. Since I love thrillers more, I look for books with images of someone running, a face looking through the door or window, a gun and the like.
Interesting! Is there something about those particular images that are indicative of a good thriller? Do you see a common pattern with those images in relation to books you associate as good reads?
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
Cate Mbevi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cate-mbevi.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by Cate Mbevi »

The chilling feeling that the image immediately provokes in me makes me know that it will be a good thriller. Yes there is a common pattern with those images. They are mostly fear provoking images. This fear creates tension in me thus I read the book to release the tension
Lgs1089

Post by Lgs1089 »

Cate Mbevi wrote: 15 May 2018, 13:52 The chilling feeling that the image immediately provokes in me makes me know that it will be a good thriller. Yes there is a common pattern with those images. They are mostly fear provoking images. This fear creates tension in me thus I read the book to release the tension
You sound like you know what you're talking about. I'm going to keep this in mind when I'm searching for my next thriller. Thanks!
L.G. Stewart
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Any striking design will capture the attention of a potential reader in one way or another. In certain genres, some readers already associate certain types of fonts and backgrounds with what they are going to read. How many fantasy or romance books have we seen that follow the exact same book cover pattern?
Lgs1089

Post by Lgs1089 »

KRay93 wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:33 Any striking design will capture the attention of a potential reader in one way or another. In certain genres, some readers already associate certain types of fonts and backgrounds with what they are going to read. How many fantasy or romance books have we seen that follow the exact same book cover pattern?
That's a good point. What do you look for personally?
L.G. Stewart
cyndisays
Currently Reading: The Doom Murders
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndisays.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by cyndisays »

I know within the first few pages if I will like a book or not. If the writing style is good, I can reading anything. The book has to grab me from the beginning for me to continue reading.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

When looking at the covers, foremost for me is the title, because it gives a hint of what the book is about, and then I will look at the illustration if it complements the title. Though we should not judge the book by its cover, when in a rush [like when in a book sale], a good cover can be very helpful.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Post by KRay93 »

Lgs1089 wrote: 22 May 2018, 09:12
KRay93 wrote: 18 May 2018, 11:33 Any striking design will capture the attention of a potential reader in one way or another. In certain genres, some readers already associate certain types of fonts and backgrounds with what they are going to read. How many fantasy or romance books have we seen that follow the exact same book cover pattern?
That's a good point. What do you look for personally?
To be honest, I never judge a book just by the cover. Yes, a striking design will always catch my attention, but if the blurb or the first pages fail to get my attention, I leave the book aside. In terms of design, I am one of those who already associate fonts and backgrounds with what genre I am going to read, although I do not usually let myself be carried away by stereotypes. As I wrote before, several books of fantasy and romance follow the same pattern of design, and very few of those books are truly remarkable.

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”