How best to use social media?

Before posting in this marketing forum, please try to read 10 Step Plan to Promote Your Book: Online Book Marketing on Any Budget. This forum is mainly for followup questions and discussion after reading that book. This forum does indeed allow for much broader discussion of marketing and promotion than just that book, but it's good for everyone to be on the same page about the basics.

Please note, this forum is not for self-promotional plugs. It's for discussing how to promote your book or other writing.
Robert Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robert-potter.html
Latest Review: Stir of Embers by Christopher Javier Bustamante

Re: How best to use social media?

Post by Robert Potter »

Is Twitter still helpful? I want to be good at it, but I find it difficult and time consuming.
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

mikekane wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 03:28 Join Group revelant to your topic or niche and share or promote your book there
Yes indeed. This makes the targeting so much easier.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

PlanetHauth wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 23:19 Follow other authors and see what they do. I follow Brandon Sanderson and he shares fan art that are based on his other books, he posts updates on how much of his work-in-progress is written (usually as a percentage or number of pages written), and he posts various other things. Granted, he's an established author with quite a few novels under his belt, but this gives you an idea of what you can do in the future. Otherwise, maybe you can post writing updates, short excerpts from the novel to give people a taste of your writing and the novel. Maybe do some character write-ups to introduce the characters (without giving away vital info or plot lines). The biggest thing would be to follow other authors and see what they're posting. Follow established authors and follow newer/soon-to-be authors to get a good idea of what you can do.
This is great advice!!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Bookmaniac wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 08:34 I have found that many like knowing "behind the scenes" information. What you're working on, etc. But also information about the author. Possibly a "Q&A" segment would be well-received.
Thanks for this tip!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Johnjack3 wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 13:16 I usually used bulkacounts for increase my social site views,likes and subscriber. I was buy bulk gmail accounts.
How does that work?
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

Rachana006 wrote: 11 Oct 2018, 02:02 Social media is one of the best method to gain exposure fro our work.
Getting involved in community, appreciating your readers and updating your work will provide you more opportunities.
Absolutely true.
Readers like to be appreciated too. It helps with creating good connections.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

serendipity 27 wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 17:15 The best thing is you have followers on Twitter and to tweet out excerpts or even giveaways. People love free stuff. If it's possible maybe you can have a reading of your book to people interested in your community.
Yes, people do like free stuff!
Thanks for these pointers!
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

njc28 wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 10:25 social media could be good if they are used in productive activities .
True. Someone must have clear goals when joining and participating on social media. Otherwise a lot of time can be wasted. A strategy needs to be in place before launching out into a lot of activity.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

rosemartine wrote: 05 Aug 2019, 02:16 Social Media is best way to get backlinks for webstie. And best way to promote anything.Now a days it's using more then any other sites.
It therefore becomes very important to have useful content on the website, and to make the website easy to navigate.
Anngladys

Post by Anngladys »

The best way to use social media is the way in which it will help you achieve your goals.

So first, you need a clear goal, followed by smaller steps.

Then ask yourself which social media platform will help you achieve those goals.

Research to find out the best way to maximize that platform. Do the same for all the platforms.

Then begin to do what will help you achieve your goals.

If you want to create publicity for your books, find out what works on each platform. Is it writing good content? Is it wonderful graphics? Or great videos? Do that.

Then find out how to create visibility for your great work.

The key question, however, is who are you targeting? Because all your social media activity needs to be geared towards them. Write helpful, relevant, meaningful and resourceful content for them. Find out what they resonate with and present that to them.

Make a strategy for reaching out to your target market and then work out that strategy patiently and persistently.

All the best!
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

I agree that the social media is one of the best method to gain exposure for our work. It also helps in others reaching out and stay updated about our current updates.
shirleym89
Currently Reading: Mirror, Mirror...?
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirleym89.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by shirleym89 »

I would say that post your book on various Facebook groups, create a Facebook page for your book. Try to have as many followers as possible on platforms like Twitter and Instagram, that way you can share information about your group with large group of people.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marksm121 »

Social Media is the best platform to explore and gain traffic and you can promote your products on social media.
marksm121
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marksm121 »

social media is the best platform to promote your product and business.
Samuel Windybank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-wimbaum.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Samuel Windybank »

I’ve been following a lot of the advice in this forum, but I’ve found that when it comes to Twitter it’s mostly other authors that follow me. How do I connect with more readers?

Return to “Marketing and Promotion for Writers”