Stepping Up the Ladder

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Stepping Up the Ladder

Post by HeatherEi »

rumik wrote: 29 Aug 2019, 20:52 I think learning a new language has been the only thing I really worked hard for out of my own will, outside of stuff like academics which I worked hard for simply because I had to.
Learning a new language is a good one! I took Spanish in middle school and I am trying to pick it up again. I am using Duolingo, I just need the discipline to do it every day!
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Getting those dissertations in on time and cramming in all that information to pass those exams
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Zion Mesa »

I decided to change my lifestyle so that I could stop being sad anymore. I've been getting up early and working freelance online for about two months now.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I'd say that I'm still at the bottom half of the ladder. I'm progressing slowly but progress is still a progress right?
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I put all my effortand energy into studying and gave up much of normal life to do so. I think it was a mistake to do all that now...life needs some balance
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

Zion Mesa wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 11:19 I decided to change my lifestyle so that I could stop being sad anymore. I've been getting up early and working freelance online for about two months now.
My goodness, same here. Honestly, I've been working hard on improving myself. I think I've changed for the better, and I take my mental health seriously now.
Newbery's book did a good job of proving that with focus, strength, endurance and determination, you can conquer any burn zone!
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

Mine was getting into a top university. I worked day and night in high school, sacrificing my social hours to be a competitive applicant. In the end, I was accepted into my top choice and graduated with honors. To this day, it is my biggest accomplishment.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Starting my businesses while at school getting a college degree. I've always been a great multitasker but this really pushed me near my limits. Honestly, I feel like scrapping one or the other the majority of the time but some little mini-reward always keeps me going.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

katiesquilts wrote: 03 Jan 2016, 10:14 I can't even think of one thing that I worked on for a long time with satisfying results. I did handwrite a novel when I was in junior high, but going back and rereading it is way too embarrassing! :oops2:

I will say that the amount of debt I'm in from school is my biggest worry right now, especially since I only have one semester left. I feel like the day I make my last payment on those loans is going to be my "stepping up the ladder" moment! :lol: Especially since that day is far, far in the future haha
Yeah, I think paying off my student loans will be my first step up the ladder. It sucks that settling debt isn't really even the first rung of the ladder; it's like getting up from sitting on the ground or climbing out from a hole. Still, I'd much rather deal with student loans than the millions Jorge struggled with!

I also like writing by hand, and I find my old work too embarrassing to read!
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I was the first in my family to go to complete college. I had to overcome many challenges both in family and personal life in order to make that happen. I earned a scholarship and continued to work hard to do what I wanted with my life.
Lila Randhawa
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lila-randhawa.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by Lila Randhawa »

To do anything new requires effort. The first few months or years are always rough. According to me, to get through this time and to keep going, one step at a time, would mean stepping up the ladder. Graduate school seems like a piece of cake when you are one of a handful of women trying to set up business in a male dominant field.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

Going to college for engineering was really hard for me. I was working 2 jobs at the same time to be able to make ends meet, and I barely had time to sleep or take care of myself. The classes were tough and there were many moments that I thought I wouldn't be able to graduate. But I did it, and I absolutely love my career now!

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”