Woodland Meadows Moments

Discuss the December 2015 book of the month Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Woodland Meadows Moments

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Honestly I have never had a burn zone which has made me bankrupt. Luckily all my burn zones are emotional and I have been able to pass through them with some effort.
VSuraj
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vsuraj.html
Latest Review: Justice by Scott Hughes

Post by VSuraj »

Yes, I went through a situation where I couldn't win in the end. It involved leaving behind a toxic situation. It was making me feel depressed, and staying would have meant putting myself through more stress. I had to leave for the sake of my well being. Like Newbery, I tried to entire the stress and bare with it as much as I could, but it wasn't working for me.

Some did not agree, but I had to leave in the interest of my mental health. And I don't regret it! Going back to the book, I thought the Woodland Meadows bit was so sad! It was going so well but others were conspiring against him. It was such a positive impact and I wished it had turned out differently, but at least he found the strength to move on and continue with his life.
Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic - J.K. Rowling
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

I haven't experienced a moment like that in my life, but I have experienced some small things that I've had to overcome.
Teddyquam
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teddyquam.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Teddyquam »

I think I had a Woodland Meadows moment after my contract ended with my first job. Despite my efforts to find another, it all seemed futile at a point. I believed myself to be marketable, and not getting a job was a big wake up call to improve my skillset.
Do you ever feel like you spend too much time reading? Yeah. Me neither. :lol:
:reading-4:
cookiedough
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cookiedough.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by cookiedough »

Although Woodland Meadows ended in a loss for Newbery, I don't see it as a loss. He poured his heart and soul into the property and changed the lives of many people. He's one of those rare souls in business that actually care about the clients than focusing solely on profits. For me, my Woodland Meadows would be exercise. I usually pull a muscle or tear something anytime I workout and it's disappointing no matter what form of fitness I do. I have never been an athlete, but I keep on trying.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Yes! These moments when you feel like either the whole world is against you or you're bearing all its weight on your shoulders. You just have to realize that when someone compares your motive versus theirs, theirs will frequently (but not always) seem more important to them. If the two have opposing end goals, they will do everything in their power to trump your aim, sometimes unintentionally or without malice.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

VSuraj wrote: 16 May 2020, 18:14 Yes, I went through a situation where I couldn't win in the end. It involved leaving behind a toxic situation. It was making me feel depressed, and staying would have meant putting myself through more stress. I had to leave for the sake of my well being. Like Newbery, I tried to entire the stress and bare with it as much as I could, but it wasn't working for me.

Some did not agree, but I had to leave in the interest of my mental health. And I don't regret it! Going back to the book, I thought the Woodland Meadows bit was so sad! It was going so well but others were conspiring against him. It was such a positive impact and I wished it had turned out differently, but at least he found the strength to move on and continue with his life.
Thanks for sharing your experience, I understand how difficult it can be to leave sometimes. That's definitely a lesson Newbery learned financially. Luckily, the experience did have a positive impact, but I also found the whole ordeal really sad. It's so painful to be right and trying to do good, but outside forces like the government would rather maintain the status quo. I hated reading how Newbery was duped into giving them information about tenants, so the government could kick them out later. It was crazy they were planning to get the property back even from the initial auction.
anaplasticCerebrum
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anaplasticcerebrum.html
Latest Review: Milton at Monticello: Thomas Jefferson's Reading of John Milton by Kemmer Anderson

Post by anaplasticCerebrum »

HorrorFan87 wrote: 28 Feb 2016, 16:53 Absolutely. Honestly my Woodland Meadows Moment would have to be when I was writing my book. I still haven't finished the darn thing and it's been years since I started. I get to a point where I hit inspiration and then all of a sudden my mind would go blank and I'd lose all track of what I was even writing. It's so frustrating, and even though I cannot compare it to Jorge's "failure", I can definitely to it. I'm still trying to finish what I started but criminy it's hard...I have to hand it to Jorge for sticking to his guns and giving it his all, even if not everyone thought it was worthwhile or successful.
I totally relate to your struggle! Even though writing is technically as simple as putting words on the page, it's crazy how difficult this act is. It's even harder when people may not know about or believe in your writing. Keeping track of the muse is hard as well, ahaha.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I've experienced a similar case. However, as they say that benefits come within misfortunes.
CarlytheReader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlythereader.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by CarlytheReader »

This was definitely a learning moment for Newbery! It also led him to write another book about debt, which is a great read. Life is all about these learning moments and what we do with the cards we've been dealt!
Readinggrl18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinggrl18.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Readinggrl18 »

I certainly can't say my largest burn zone was anywhere near as drastic as Jorge's, but yes, I have had a "Woodland Meadows" moment in my life. No matter what I did and no matter how I tried, it felt like the world was out to get me. My husband and I were trying to do good and help those less fortunate and over and over had things and people ripped from our lives. No matter how we tried to express our desire for change and our heart for the cause, we could never measure up. It has been a huge place of growth and feels like an uphill battle.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

Although I have not had quite the same type of Woodland Meadows situation as the author, I do have experience with rental property, so I found that I could relate in some way to his experience. There always seems to be some type of disaster with rental property, including pipes freezing and other issues, just when it is the most inconvenient possible time for issues to occur. So I have indeed had a small version of a Woodland Meadows situation.

Return to “"Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery”