Cat's Cradle - Chapters 1-14 Discussion

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
knightss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Cat's Cradle - Chapters 1-14 Discussion

Post by knightss »

So my book finally arrived today, about time! If you don't have the book yet don't fret. I'm going to post discussion questions in a few days. If you can read up to chapter 14 (page 30) by Sunday or Monday, this should give everyone enough time to pick up the book and read a little. Tomorrow is my birthday (21st) so i probably wont get to posting the discussion questions until friday or saturday.

Happy reading fellow book lovers ;)
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
knightss

Post by knightss »

Questions that will hopefully spark some discussion:

How do you feel about the theories of Bokononism? The karass? Many religions share the idea that everyone is interconnected, is the karass any different?

At the end of chapter 13, Johan talks for a while with a local bartender. They talk about a man who was sentenced to death for killing 26 people and he didn't even feel guilty. How does this relate to what Mr. Hoenikker? Should this man, who we can already tell is indifferent to just about everything (family, work, etc.) feel guilty?

Have you read any other works by Vonnegut? If so, what book? Do you see any "classic" Vonnegut styles? (for instance: "Listen:" on page 1)

If this is your first time reading Vonnegut, do you enjoy the style? How do you feel about the black humor/satire?

Feel free to answer any or all of these questions ;)

Enjoy!
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
notrorygilmore

Post by notrorygilmore »

I had expressed interest in taking part in the book of the month for April. I was able to get a copy of Cat's Cradle. For some reason I can't figure out I hadn't been able to sign in at this site for a while so I never got back with you guys to say if I would be reading along or not. :( Sorry! Anyway, I have the book and it appears I am able to login again so I'll be posting. I have been reading, but I'm not quite caught up yet. I'll probably post answers to your questions tomorrow. :)
knightss

Post by knightss »

guess i'm reading this one alone =(
awelker

Post by awelker »

i just haven't had time to read it. i plan on starting it this weekend.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
TrishF

Post by TrishF »

I just joined today so I'm wondering, is it too late to join in on this discussion or should I start with the next book?
knightss

Post by knightss »

no no, this discussion hasn't even really started, please join =)
Linda

Post by Linda »

yea i feel bad ur reading all alone so i might have to drop the book im reading and catch up on this one.
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
Linda

Post by Linda »

alright so the questions...

I think the theories of Bokononism are pretty simple. From the beginning the books of bokonon honestly state the religion was formed on "bittersweet lies." Johan points out though that has no impact on the effectiveness of a religion.
Johan doesn't necessarily care about the origin of religion. instead he focuses on the principles of the religion. I think this is necessary in all religions. people can't necessarily understand what God is doing. I think this religion is smart in that it doesn't tell people that they shouldn't be lost, it assures them that instead they aren't meant to understand the ways of a higher power, and you are a fool if you think you have everything figured out.

I think Bokononism reminds me more of religions based around nature then more structured religions many people follow today. It's more based on the interaction of people, the karass seems limitless. every single person you happen to meet by chance is a member? "it is as freeform as an amoeba," this makes it even more difficult to define the religion.

They call Mr. Hoenikker the father of the atomic bomb, never does he ever show any guilt for killing all those people when we were at war with their country. He was able to go to work everyday, knowing that it was his mission to create something that would inevitably destroy.

I've never read any Vonnegut before but im liking his style already. He isn't very descriptive, say like a John Steinbeck, but I still can form very real visuals while reading.

I just wanted to mention Johans relationship with his father. He says that he's never played with his father and the first time his father tried, when playing with the Cat's Cradle, Johan was so disgusted by his fathers appearance he ran away. I think Mr. Hoenikker was too busy fathering an atomic bomb to interact with his own son.

Mr. Hoenikker seems almost childlike. He allows his daughter, who had to assume the role of mother to her two brothers, to mother him also. I thought it was strange turtles had to be removed from his workplace so he wouldn't play with them and instead concentrate on working...at first I thought he had no guilt toward his work, but maybe all these distractions help him pretend this guilt doesn't exist.

idk...
Linda

Post by Linda »

this book of the month has so major issues...why did people vote if they werent going to read the book they voted for?
knightss

Post by knightss »

Well.. i asked a similar question when George Bush was elected... twice.
Linda

Post by Linda »

knightss wrote:Well.. i asked a similar question when George Bush was elected... twice.
haha George Bush being elected ever, is something i'll never understand.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Linda wrote:
knightss wrote:Well.. i asked a similar question when George Bush was elected... twice.
haha George Bush being elected ever, is something i'll never understand.
I understand Bush getting elected, even though I would have never voted for him. He ran on voter issues. Most voters don't pay attention to politics and many people don't vote, so the way a politician wins is with single-issue campaigns that appeal to a big voter base. Bush ran on "moral values." In addition to the common abortion and religious points, he namely opposed gay marriage. That caused a large amount of people vote for him, over those few issues. He was able to rile up enough social conservatives with those few issues to win the election.

Sorry, I'm off-topic. :oops:

I'll post a quote from Cat's Cradle:
As Bokonon says: "Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Anna

Post by Anna »

Scott wrote:
Most voters don't pay attention to politics and many people don't vote
That's really sad.
________
Shemale Fat
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

When I discovered that you guys are reading this book, I was overjoyed. It's incredibly intriguing, and I've only just begun. If you read the acknowledgement at the beginning of the book, I think the memoir is accurate.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Book of the month”