The Aeneid ~ Books 3 - 6

Members of the forum choose and read a new book every month together, and then discuss it. You can nominate a book to be book of the month using the book's page on Bookshelves. Simply click the link that says 'Nominate for book of the month' on the left side of the book's Bookshelves page near the social sharing buttons. Don't be scared to nominate, as you can change your nomination to a different book if you think of something better.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

The Aeneid ~ Books 3 - 6

Post by Scott »

If you haven't read the first half of The Aeneid, do not read any further. Do not discuss anything past the first half in this thread.

How did you like books 3-6?

The two events that stick out most to me are Dido's suicide and the boxing match.

Do you think Dido overreacted? Do you think it was mean of Aeneas to leave her so abruptly? I think we can all relate to the overwhelming feeling of a broken heart. To me, though, Dido seemed much more in love with Aeneas than Aeneas with her. Do you think it was Aeneas fault that Dido died?

The boxing match interests me because of its barbarism. Though Aeneas stepped in to stop the fight and save Dares, he would have died otherwise which sounded like a common occurrence. That people would kill each other just as a game seems crazy to me. What do you think of it and the other funeral games?

Are there any passages in this part of the book that you found especially enjoyable? Please feel free to quote them.

Did you enjoy reading about Aeneas trip to the underworld? I like reading about it, but I do not like the idea of an underworld with the spirits of the dead.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Aeneas is a real ladies' man. What do you think?

Please post any questions that you want to ask the other readers.
Last edited by Scott on 21 Aug 2007, 11:39, edited 1 time in total.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
LoveHatesYou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Did Dido have a choice? She was shot with Cupid's arrow. Before Aeneas’s arrival, Dido is the competent ruler of Carthage, a city she founded. She is determined not to marry again, and to focus on her political obligations- until Aeneas shows up. Also- she tells someone (her sister- forgive me I don't have the book on me right now) that she is feverisgh- so Cupid's arrow sets her ablaze- and we all know fire can be compared to passion and both are destructive!

Also, after her firm resolution not to marry, and then her public affair with Aeneas, or "obsession", at the expense of her civic responsibilities, she would have lost face and power with her people, certainly respect, as she was sought after- so perhaps suicide was a viable option, all things considered. Spurned lovers are now a viable military threat.
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Fate- Aeneas is ruled by fate, so I can't really blame him for leaving Dido... though I would really like to. He puts aside his personal desires (Dido) and gives into whatever fate would have him do- unlike Juno and Turnus who defy fate which doesn't exactly work out for them. Also, Aeneas probably is a bit of a ladies man- most heros are- but he's probably not aware of it or doing it on purpose- but his mother is Venus. He also does establish Rome (a city for lover's)- and it was his fate to do so. Fate is almost a character in this story, driving the plot lines, leaving A. blameless for Dido's death- as he did not ignite the love- Cupid did, and then Fate drove him away from her.

Also A. has prved him self compassionate after learning of the underworld, and ensure both sides of soldiers have time to properly bury their dead- and in book V he allowd the unwilling and ill to go home.

I've talked so much I've forgotten what I was answering.... :oops:
"I am a slave to the wonders of the imagination and the cage of creativity." -E. Maggard
LoveHatesYou

Post by LoveHatesYou »

Is no one else reading along? Or are we reading but not discussing...?
Mikail Light
Currently Reading: Terms of Service
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahmon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Mikail Light »

Although I enjoy reading about it, the concept of a hereafter populated with ghosts does not appeal to me.
The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.~ Socrates :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Book of the month”