Overall Rating and Opinion of For the Love of Suzanne

Discuss the January 2016 book of the month For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of For the Love of Suzanne

Post by kio »

bookowlie wrote:
kio wrote:Overall, I'd rate it 2 out of 4 stars. Usually I can't stand historical romances, but I felt the author did a great job of creating well-developed characters. Unfortunately, I felt like I was watching one of my dad's western that I wish I hadn't watched/read. I thought the plot was okay, but I'm not a fan of books where practically everyone or everyone dies. I felt like it was a cop-out on the author's part. There were a lot of different ways I think the book could've ended. Some I was kind of glad died, but others frustrated me. I felt like I was watching a western version of Nicholas Sparks. How about everyone else?
Kio, you brought up some interesting points. Personally, I felt the middle of the book dragged with the western scenes. Whether or not I felt like I was watching "my dad's westerns" (nice analogy, Kio!), it was just not my cup of tea. I can't really say if those scenes dragged because of my reading preferences or just became a little repetitive. It's hard to say when the topic is not something I enjoy reading about.
Trust me, my dad's westerns drag on and on and on. :) the non-western parts kept me reading, but mostly just the western scenes stuck out.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

kio wrote:Overall, I'd rate it 2 out of 4 stars. Usually I can't stand historical romances, but I felt the author did a great job of creating well-developed characters. Unfortunately, I felt like I was watching one of my dad's western that I wish I hadn't watched/read. I thought the plot was okay, but I'm not a fan of books where practically everyone or everyone dies. I felt like it was a cop-out on the author's part. There were a lot of different ways I think the book could've ended. Some I was kind of glad died, but others frustrated me. I felt like I was watching a western version of Nicholas Sparks. How about everyone else?
I love western, so I enjoyed those western scenes. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CatGitane
Favorite Author: Lewis Carroll
Favorite Book: Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The 5th Wave
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catgitane.html
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3309

Post by CatGitane »

bookowlie wrote: I can see your point regarding the blurb and the cover. I am also not a big romance fan. If I do pick up a romance book, it's usually contemporary with some humor.
Thank you. :) Oh really? I do admit I like tortured romance (like Fifty Shades of Grey) or something really weird for a romance, like time travel and such. Humour is always welcome as well!
Latest Review: "Witches" by Mark Taylor
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

gali wrote:
I love western, so I enjoyed those western scenes. 8)
The Wild Bunch is not only one of the best Westerns, but one of the best grown up films in general.

So I think I may take more kindly to such a doom-laden finale. :)
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

As a romance enthusiast I enjoyed this book! It was different than other similar romance books. Over all of rate it a 3 out of 4 stars. I did feel like I was missing the connection with the characters and it was missing that emotional connection and that is a big thing for me. I love feeling the emotions that come with each twist and turn.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

@khudecek, first I want to congratulate you in not only writing and publishing a book (wow!), but having a book that has brought a variety of people together to read and discuss it. I've been toying with the idea of getting back to a story that I previously started, so seeing your (and others) success has inspired me :)

**Spoiler Alert**
Now, the book: I absolutely loved For the Love of Suzanne. I thought it was a read that I became easily attached to, and didn't like putting down. I understand what some people said about the middle being a bit slow, but I didn't feel that way. Actually, it only built my curiosity even more! I kept wondering if Suzanne would make it back to her time period, and if Cody would join her. I actually had to slow my reading towards the end when Suzanne made it back and was depressed. I really wanted to see her and Cody back together! And they did, which was very satisfying for me. So thank you again for writing such a great tale, and I look forward to your next book ;)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

Thank you for your kind words, hsimone. I appreciate it a lot. :)

As for you getting back to the story you started, DO IT! Don't wait another minute. If something like this can happen for me, it can happen for you, too. Don't give up. :)
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

khudecek, you are very welcome! :).

Thank you for your words of confidence! I started editing what I have so far (which will be quite a ride since I started a few years at a much more immature state of mind). I'm going to keep it up and we'll see how far I can go! Thank you! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

hsimone wrote:khudecek, you are very welcome! :).

Thank you for your words of confidence! I started editing what I have so far (which will be quite a ride since I started a few years at a much more immature state of mind). I'm going to keep it up and we'll see how far I can go! Thank you! :)
How ironic that you would refer to a more immature state of mind. I actually wrote this book back in 1996. I wrote the first draft, had my mom read it and do some editing on it (that's why I dedicated the book to her. I never let her read anything I wrote but she did read this) and I shoved the manuscript in a box and forgot about it.

Fast forward 19 years. I'm now married with two sons. My youngest and I were going through some boxes that I hadn't even looked at since 2001 when I first moved to Kansas. Imagine my surprise when he pulled out a manuscript. I didn't remember writing it or anything about it but I'm the only writer in the family so I knew it was mine. I must have lost the original draft when I upgraded computers so I retyped it, made a ton of changes, spiced it up a bit, gave it a new name and the rest is history.

I can tell you that those 19 or 20 years have vastly changed my writing. I may not be the greatest writer in the world but I can assure you that I've come along way in that time.

My point is, time isn't necessarily your enemy in this case. Sometimes it's actually advantageous because you can go back and look at it with a different perspective. Life moves on, you know and as it does, you continue to learn and to grow. That can only help your writing, in my opinion.

I hope you start writing again soon.:)

~~
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Wow! Really? That's actually kind of funny how it was hidden for so long and it just sort of came back in your life when you were ready to see it through.

I actually have started up again, and I'm having a ton of fun with it! I remembered some of what I wrote before - the general basis - but have forgotten some specific scenes. And I think you're right, with time, you gain more perspective and it enhances your writing. I made one of my characters kind of wishy-washy before, but now I can make her stronger. I'm excited to see I how far I get! Wish me luck! And thank you for sharing that part of your life here, I really appreciate it :)
Heidi

khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Suzanne was totally wishy-washy and as i retyped/rewrote the novel, I knew that would never do. I had to beef her up a bit.

I also changed my ending. The original ending was far too rushed with no details. I ended it when they found each other and he just got into the car and they drove away. No. That wasn't going to do, either. After being separated for seven months, there had to be some sort of recognition thing going on. For the longest time, she thought she was dreaming so and he thought she was a person from the stars. That wasn't going to work at all.

I don't know if I pulled off the great ending I was hoping for but it was vastly improved from the original. I remember reading the ending for the first time and I said out loud, "Oh, this sucks!" :o

~~
Momlovesbooks
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Post by Momlovesbooks »

Great book! I was hooked at the beginning. I love romance novels, and surprisingly, time travel ones also. The characters were throughly developed. I was pleased that we were told about their pasts and how certain events contributed to the emotionally distressed individuals they became. I loved how they drew on each other's strengths and found love in the midst of a turbulent time. There were a few graphic scenes that made me inwardly cringe. Overall, this was a very entertaining novel.
khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Thank you. :)

~~
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

khudecek, I love Suzanne's character, so I'm glad you were able to present her the way you did!

I think it made sense that Suzanne and Cody were questioning who each other were at first. You're right, after seven months of not seeing each other and just not knowing if they both were safe and in the same time period, there needed to be more. I definitely liked what you did, so nice work! :)

It's also nice being able to go back to writing after some time apart to see what actually works and what doesn't.
Heidi

khudecek

Post by khudecek »

Thank you. I appreciate that. :)

~~