The Native Americans angle

Discuss the January 2016 book of the month For the Love of Suzanne by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Re: The Native Americans angle

Post by literarycat »

bookowlie wrote:I liked the Native American historical angle and learned something about a period I didn't know much about. I agree that it feel in the plot, but the violence and treatment of women was a harsh subject to read about.

-- 02 Jan 2016, 20:59 --

Note to self...don't type comments on the tablet! Between the auto-correct and the touch-tone keyboard, the errors become embarrassing. :) My previous post should read "I agree that it fit well in the plot" - I don't know where "it feel in the plot" came from. It felt out of the sky onto the tablet screen - ha ha ha.
I agree that the violence and harsh treatment of women was a little hard to read. Some elements hit a little to close to home sometimes for me though. But that made it a little more relatable for me.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I liked the incorporation of the Native American History, it made Cody and his internal conflicts with turning Suzanne over to his Chief and wanting to keep her for himself and protect her more real and understandable. I was able to empathize with him better, I believe, because of it.
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

L_Therese wrote:I thought it was interesting to incorporate the Native American part of history, but I wish it could have been done more thoroughly. The portrayal seemed too simplified with precious little real cultural elements. The story would have been so much richer if the actual culture was used as a contrast to the local dominant culture. Another point I'd raise is that Cody Black Fox refers to the Native Americans as "Indians". Historically speaking, though the people at the fort and surrounding areas would have been using that term (possibly among others), anyone connected to the Native American people would have referred to them by the name of their Nation - whichever one it was.
I agree with this too!
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Paliden wrote:
L_Therese wrote:I thought it was interesting to incorporate the Native American part of history, but I wish it could have been done more thoroughly. The portrayal seemed too simplified with precious little real cultural elements. The story would have been so much richer if the actual culture was used as a contrast to the local dominant culture. Another point I'd raise is that Cody Black Fox refers to the Native Americans as "Indians". Historically speaking, though the people at the fort and surrounding areas would have been using that term (possibly among others), anyone connected to the Native American people would have referred to them by the name of their Nation - whichever one it was.
I agree with this too!
Definitely some good points raised. Of course if you aren't very familiar with the Native American History most of it is easily gotten away with. My grandfather is Cherokee Indian so growing up I have always wanted to research and learn more about the Native American History in general but have never done it.
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

I loved the history provided and it completely complimented with Cody's character and behaviour.

It was something new and refreshing.
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:
psyche wrote:It seems to me that unless the time travel was to a parallel universe, it should not affect how the historical elements are treated because the character is going back to our "real" past.
I agree. When writing a book the author should research the historical elements of his/her story properly. This is because, even though it is a novel, readers take in that information and assume it to be a correct portrayal of history.
I completely agree with both of these points. The Native Americans felt more like stereotypes than an actual tribe. What made Cody's tribe different than the others? If you are going to go through the trouble of naming the tribe at least give little details about them that make them unique.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
rssllue
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson

Post by rssllue »

I think that it was quite interesting that the brutality of the tribe, led by Tall Deer's actions was contrasted by a similar brutality of the military unit, led by the Major's apparent insanity. I really felt that both of the leaders were out of their minds with absolute power and control over the people around them. They treated those people as if they had no value at all and could be used as nothing more than playthings for their every whim.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

rssllue wrote:I think that it was quite interesting that the brutality of the tribe, led by Tall Deer's actions was contrasted by a similar brutality of the military unit, led by the Major's apparent insanity. I really felt that both of the leaders were out of their minds with absolute power and control over the people around them. They treated those people as if they had no value at all and could be used as nothing more than playthings for their every whim.
That is an interesting point. It seemed more like Chief Tall Deer's brutality was aimed at white women. He did not really hurt anyone unless they messed with his slaves (white women) or went directly against him. Major Richards was just cruel for no reason and a bit insane. Perhaps it was the isolation that made him "loco." As he said in the novel there was no law but him because they were in the territories.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
rssllue
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson

Post by rssllue »

The brutality definitely crossed all racial/cultural boundaries in the book.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Skoraeus
Currently Reading: Magnus Chase and the God of Asgard
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skoraeus.html

Post by Skoraeus »

The history of the native Americans do serve a purpose. It made the main protagonist act like 'one'. It also provides us with a deeper insight and view of his personality. The way he acts around others, his attitude, behavior. The intentions and move behind his actions. It allows us to contemplate and have a better understanding of his actions and decisions throughout the story. A 'backstory' in this case, beautifully executed.
CLRogers90
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clrogers90.html
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar

Post by CLRogers90 »

I originally had no intention of reading this book, but after reading so of your enthusiastic responses I am considering picking up a copy. It is always wonderful to hear of a book exploring the history of Native Americans. I feel like that is something that we see far too little of in popular literature.
Latest Review: "A Bullet for Love" by Mohammad Bakhtiar
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

It is never easy to account for history in any book.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

DarkestbeforeDawn wrote:I feel very uneasy reading about histories and cultures that are not my own, because I feel like a lot of the time, the truth is glossed over in favor something that is a little more tolerable. The history of the Native Americans and their plight isn't really something I feel comfortable reading about in fiction unless there was extensive research involved or the author shares cultural roots.
You make some excellent points here. I don't know if the truth was purposefully glossed over, but there are probably some perspectives from that era that were not represented in this novel. I do agree that research is necessary when writing about a culture that is not one's own, and I would have liked to see a bibliography at the end of the book that listed the author's sources. I'm pretty sure that she did conduct research, but we don't know anything about it.

-- 14 Jul 2016, 13:58 --
Vermont Reviews wrote:It is never easy to account for history in any book.
Agreed!!!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by AishaTBN »

The addition of the Native American history in this book was an insight into something not many of us are aware of. I felt it made the book more interesting.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

I agree with you L_Therese. No matter if the book is considered Historical or not, I prefer my stories to be as close to the truth as possible. If it's not, then it can take me out of the story and if it is really bad, I feel like the author is, in a sense, trying to change history or simply lying. I consider it the author's responsibility to make certain they are portraying their chosen time period correctly. If they fail terribly, I see it as lazy writing.
As a side note, I am an author so maybe my standards are higher because it is my profession! :-)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari

Return to “"For the Love of Suzanne" by Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill”