People are missing out if they haven't read Before I Fall

Discuss the February 2016 book of the month, Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver.
ScarletJade
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Post by ScarletJade »

I loved this book so much, I re-read it to my Mom in the car whenever we would be driving for a while. At first, the daily routine is a little monotonous, but I gravitate toward Sam, and I believe it is an enthralling read. Oliver was creative with the idea for the book, and I enjoyed the originality. It's interesting how Sam was given multiple chances to do the right thing. It made me question what I would do right or change if I had the opportunity to act differently in past situations.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Five Little Pigs
Bookshelf Size: 2290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have read and loved this book!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ananya92
Favorite Author: Jeffrey Archer
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ananya92.html
Latest Review: A Passover in Peshawar by AM Sardar
fav_author_id: 4949

Post by ananya92 »

The story the author tells in this book seems very real somehow with all the Highschool drama. The author's writing style is pretty engaging and keeps the reader involved, though I felt that some parts were stretching on.
malloryw09
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malloryw09.html

Post by malloryw09 »

I thought Before I Fall was FANTASTIC! The ending broke my heart, but I don't think the character growth or message would have been as powerful and moving if it hadn't ended the way it did.
DaphneReviews

Post by DaphneReviews »

I don’t recall what I expected or if I expected anything before diving into this book, but it was definitely an emotional ride due to the story line and the characters clashing at times. I felt like the characters played important roles throughout the story, and their presence was necessary during that scene. Personally, however, I didn’t connect with the main character, but I didn’t think she was a bad main character. In fact, I like the type of character that was used as the protagonist because it the story more interesting to me.

I believe I created questions while reading the story and those questions were not answered. I don’t think the author touched on a few things I thought would be covered in the story. However, it was definitely entertaining and kept my attention because I read it within a couple days. I would definitely like to reread this again one day.
Sera3125

Post by Sera3125 »

Before I Fall is the only Lauren Oliver book I have liked so far.
ARRivera
Currently Reading: David and Goliath
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by ARRivera »

Kmikel0509 wrote:I adored Before I Fall! I thought that the ending in particular was gutsy and great. I absolutely loved loved loved the characters by the end of the book. However, I think this book wouldn't have gotten finished if I hadn't been getting encouragement from my friends on social media to wait until the end to judge Sam.
I totally agree with you. I loved this book as well. The ending was a very bold choice. And even though I knew it was going to happen, I still felt shocked and saddened by it because the way the author framed the story, I was still hoping it would turn out differently.
Lauren Oliver is a brilliant writer. The imagery she crafts in each of her novels is what gets me. It's lovely and poetic even when it's crass.
Eponine

Post by Eponine »

I really enjoyed this book. I read it the beginning of last year. It was a great reading experience.
eunice2868
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice2868.html

Post by eunice2868 »

This teen novel is very useful and informative for all parents. The stories are captivating and appear to be realistic and relevant in our society. The book covers many aspects of common behaviours. Some of the highlights are teens drinking heavily, bullying and having sex before marriage. The approach is very lively, encouraging and meaningful, always taking us from a very unpleasant person to a better person by the end. :angelic-cyan:
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

Before I Fall is the February book of the month! Add it to your OnlineBookClub.org Bookshelves now (free to do). :)
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
MegHatch

Post by MegHatch »

Before I Fall was all too real to me. Samantha and her friends were mean girls, and by the end Samantha realizes this and tries to be a better person. I would recommend this read to any young girl. I was completely surprised by the twist at the end.
Anastasia_19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-19.html

Post by Anastasia_19 »

Before I Fall was unputdownable. I can hardly remember being so involved in a story, which is, by the way, was set PERFECTLY! Lauren Oliver loves her readers :P
bysa
Currently Reading: Sammi
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by bysa »

This is my next read. It's been on my to-do list for quite some time. I'm not sure why I haven't read it yet but thanks to the input on this thread I have decided to give it the old college try. It seems many of you enjoyed it and my curiosity is getting the best of me. I have to see how on earth this author will make me empathize with the girl we all loved to hate in high school.
PaulaSofia
Currently Reading: You
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by PaulaSofia »

I read this last year or the year before, not sure. I do remembering liking it quite a bit. The somewhat unusual premise definitely drew me in. Incidentally I hear it's being made into a movie
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Post by L_Therese »

I didn't hate Delirium, but I didn't love it either. Before I Fall seemed to be more important, if you get my meaning. It speaks of actions and consequences and emphasizes that no matter how perfect one's life may seem on the outside, there are still pressures, struggles, and regrets. Its message is something that people really can't hear enough of, and its execution made it compelling.

Return to “"Before I Fall" by Lauren Oliver”