Fantasy/Magical Realism Discussion Book Suggestions

For March 2016, we will be reading Fantasy/Magical Realism books.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Fantasy/Magical Realism Discussion Book Suggestions

Post by kio »

Fantasy is defined as a genre of fiction that uses magic or other supernatural elements as a main plot element, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in imaginary worlds where magic and magical creatures are common. Fantasy is generally distinguished from the genres of science fiction and horror by the expectation that it steers clear of scientific and macabre themes, respectively, though there is a great deal of overlap between the three. It frequently crosses into adventure as well.

Magical Realism is defined as a genre that portrays magical or unreal elements as a natural part in an otherwise realistic or mundane environment.

Fantasy examples include:

1. Harry Potter books by J.K. Rowling

2. Grave Witch by Kalayna Price-As a grave witch, Alex Craft can speak to the dead-she's even on good terms with Death himself. As a consultant for the police, she's seen a lot of dark magic, but nothing has prepared her for her latest case. When she's raising a "shade" involved in a high profile murder, it attacks her, and then someone makes an attempt on her life.

3. Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman-When a young boy discovered his neighbors' supernatural secret, he never imagined that 40 years later he would have to revisit what he tried so hard to forget.

4. Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson (or any books by him)-In a world where Epics, supernatural beings with superpowers, rule the world, regular humans are often left in peril. 10 years after Steelheart killed his father, David thinks he may have finally found the epic's weakness. He''ll need the help of the rebel group known as the Reckoners, however, to exact his revenge.

Magical Realism examples include:

1. Bras and Broomsticks by Sarah Mlynowski-When her younger sister develops magical powers, Rachel decides to use her sister to rid her world of her step mom to be and to catch the eye of her new crush.

2. Any Witch Way by Amanda M Lee-Bay Winchester has a knack for finding dead bodies. Luckily, her family members are witches who are good at solving crimes.

3. Truly, Madly by Heather Webber-Her parents are known for their matchmaking skills. Lucy Valentine, however, has been unable to access the family secret since she was struck by lightning as a child. Instead of being able to see auras for matchmaking purposes like her family, she can only find lost things. A quest for a lost engagement ring, however, soon turns into a murder investigation.

4. Dresden files by Jim Butcher

For more suggestions, visit https://www.goodreads.com/genres/fantasy or https://www.goodreads.com/genres/magical-realism

Also, if you look on the forums under the specific genres, there may be some more suggestions
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thanks, kio! Can't wait to get started :).

Question - my next book review for here is fantasy, would that count as reading a book in this genre or does it have to be separate from reviewed books?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Jaz_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jaz_ »

I would highly recommend The Novice by Taran Matharu. It's the first book in The Summoner series and it's a brilliant read. The second book unfortunately doesn't come out for another two months but it's a great book.
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

I'm definitely going to have to check out some of the books listed above! Personally, most of the books I've read that are fantasy/magical realism are books meant for kids, however, I will be back to list some books that fit the criteria. I have to go dig through my bookcase and refresh my memory. :)
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
kio

Post by kio »

One that would work that I thought of later was His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik. When a Naval commander for the British army encounters a Napoleonic ship, he never thought his life would change forever. Soon, a hatched dragon causes him a career change and new friendship that he will never forget.
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

i love magical realism books! one of my favorites is a compilation of short stories called "Leaf Storm" by gabriel garcia marquez (the same author who wrote 100 years of solitude). I like his short work more than his full length novels.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

The Word & the Void series by Terry Brooks could be considered magical realism. I'm on the last book now! His Magic Kingdom of Landover series is kind of Magical Realism at times, but mostly fantasy,i I highly recommend both series!
kio

Post by kio »

hsimone wrote:Thanks, kio! Can't wait to get started :).

Question - my next book review for here is fantasy, would that count as reading a book in this genre or does it have to be separate from reviewed books?
No, go right ahead and count it. I do :)

-- 09 Mar 2016, 12:55 --

I am currently reading "Death Weavers" by Brandon Mull, so I'll post for that one when I'm done :)
Heidi M Simone
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Perfect! Thank you! :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
JoeysTiger37
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JoeysTiger37 »

Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings is a fantastic introduction to his newer series....I have also picked up The Wheel of Time, recently. That series had been in the hopper for a while for me. I don't know why I took so long. Fantastic.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

JoeysTiger37 wrote:Brandon Sanderson's The Way of Kings is a fantastic introduction to his newer series....I have also picked up The Wheel of Time, recently. That series had been in the hopper for a while for me. I don't know why I took so long. Fantastic.
I agree. I loved "The Way of Kings".
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I love magical realism. I review mostly paranormal and supernatural books on my blog. I loved Grave Witch. I am currently reading two urban fantasy books: Raven's Heart by Shawna Reppert and Soul Meaning by A.D. Starrling. So far, they are both really good.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

Would Witch & Wizard by James Patterson be magical realism or fantasy? I am still learning about all the different genres of books! :)

-- 17 Mar 2016, 08:35 --
bookreviewer2016 wrote:I love magical realism. I review mostly paranormal and supernatural books on my blog. I loved Grave Witch.
I need to check out your blog for some good book ideas! I love watching paranormal and supernatural shows/movies. I have read a few books of that genre, but not much. I don't have any book-loving friends to recommend books, so most of what I read is stuff I have stumbled upon myself or grabbed after seeing the movie.
Journey beyond the jacket.
bookreviewer2016
Currently Reading: The Silent Corner
Bookshelf Size: 2910
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer2016.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by bookreviewer2016 »

I don't know if I'm allowed to put the link to my blog in a post. As soon as my profile is available to edit--I think it's three days from joining--I will see if I can put my blog info there.
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

You can add it on your profile :)
Journey beyond the jacket.

Return to “March 2016 Genre Discussion”