Fantasy/Magical Realism Discussion for March

For March 2016, we will be reading Fantasy/Magical Realism books.
BriannaOW
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Fantasy/Magical Realism Discussion for March

Post by BriannaOW »

I just finished Queen of Shadows in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Mass. I read it back to back with the other books of the series including Assassin's Blade (prequel/novellas). I would say this book is fantasy and young adult. There could definitely be some cross over into romance. The themes are coming of age, good versus evil, redemption and friendship to name a few. This book is the fourth in a six long series. At this point the characters are coming to accept their "destiny." While I noticed quite a few reviewers were unhappy with direction the main character's story developments have taken, I really liked the progression! The majority of narrators finally crossed paths and a lot of pieces are falling together including an introduction to the actual villain of the series. I am on pins and needles waiting for book five!
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

bookreviewer2016 wrote:I just reviewed The World Below by Mike Phillips on my blog. It's a contemporary fantasy about a man who finds out that there is a world below his city that includes magical creatures. He gets involved with a woman who is a fae. When she's taken, he has to ally with goblins to save her. I enjoyed reading this book.

I love magical realism. I read mostly urban fantasy, contemporary fantasy, and paranormal romance. I also read a lot of paranormal mysteries.
This sounds like a great book :) What character was your favorite? What element of urban fantasy, contemporary fantasy, and paranormal romance draw you in the most? For me I like having the more complex themes and plot lines (of course plot twists are always awesome :) )

-- 17 Mar 2016, 21:52 --
BriannaOW wrote:I just finished Queen of Shadows in the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Mass. I read it back to back with the other books of the series including Assassin's Blade (prequel/novellas). I would say this book is fantasy and young adult. There could definitely be some cross over into romance. The themes are coming of age, good versus evil, redemption and friendship to name a few. This book is the fourth in a six long series. At this point the characters are coming to accept their "destiny." While I noticed quite a few reviewers were unhappy with direction the main character's story developments have taken, I really liked the progression! The majority of narrators finally crossed paths and a lot of pieces are falling together including an introduction to the actual villain of the series. I am on pins and needles waiting for book five!
I love this series :) I like how you mentioned opposing opinions of the book as well. What element do you think will bring their "destiny" to a peak in the next book? What do you like/dislike about the villain? What role do you think the villain will ultimately play in the book? (Without too many spoiler, of course :) )
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Crgeorge517
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Crgeorge517 »

I would definitely say some of my all time favorite books fall into the magical realism category. Of course the Harry Potter series is at the top of the list, followed closely by Narnia and Twilight. I really think the key though is the realism part. If you can take the magic out and the story is still powerful then you have a winner in my opinion.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Crgeorge517 wrote:I would definitely say some of my all time favorite books fall into the magical realism category. Of course the Harry Potter series is at the top of the list, followed closely by Narnia and Twilight. I really think the key though is the realism part. If you can take the magic out and the story is still powerful then you have a winner in my opinion.
I agree. if either element can stand on it's a winner :)
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Way" by D.F.Jones

Post by P_hernandez »

Gravy wrote:I never even thought about it, but the last book I finished can count for this.

I read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks.

Budo, an imaginary friend to Max, a boy who's "on the spectrum", tells his story as he fights to save him.

From the beginning Budo fears the day when he will disappear, because there's nothing worse than not existing.

He meets many other imaginary friends, some just a smudge on the wall. And then there's Oswald, who scares Budo. A lot.

It's a fun, and thrilling read, filled with boyhood humor, and heartwarming friendship. It also has it's sad and serious moments, but with an air of innocence always present.

I gave it four out of four, and highly recommend it, especially to anyone who has seen and enjoyed the movie Drop Dead Fred (also about an imaginary friend).

I'm already planning to read more by the author.

I read this book!! I have asked so many avid book readers if they'd ever heard of it and they hadn't! Finding someone who has is terrific for me lol. It was so touching. It took a turn I honestly never expected and it made me feel so, so much. I absolutely love this unique look at a child's life with autism.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

P_hernandez wrote:
Gravy wrote:I never even thought about it, but the last book I finished can count for this.

I read Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend by Matthew Dicks.

Budo, an imaginary friend to Max, a boy who's "on the spectrum", tells his story as he fights to save him.

From the beginning Budo fears the day when he will disappear, because there's nothing worse than not existing.

He meets many other imaginary friends, some just a smudge on the wall. And then there's Oswald, who scares Budo. A lot.

It's a fun, and thrilling read, filled with boyhood humor, and heartwarming friendship. It also has it's sad and serious moments, but with an air of innocence always present.

I gave it four out of four, and highly recommend it, especially to anyone who has seen and enjoyed the movie Drop Dead Fred (also about an imaginary friend).

I'm already planning to read more by the author.

I read this book!! I have asked so many avid book readers if they'd ever heard of it and they hadn't! Finding someone who has is terrific for me lol. It was so touching. It took a turn I honestly never expected and it made me feel so, so much. I absolutely love this unique look at a child's life with autism.
I know the whole "why hasn't anyone read this book :!: " feeling, in fact, I'm experiencing it right now, for my latest read :lol:

I'm happy to know of another who's read and enjoyed this book. It's like finding someone who knows a song that only you seem to have ever heard :D
Though, in this case, there are a few of us around. We should start a group 8)
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
P_hernandez
Currently Reading: Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-hernandez.html

Post by P_hernandez »

Yes, a support group lol!!
fari30
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fari30.html

Post by fari30 »

Fantasy is definitely my favourite genre of all time and I absolutely adore High/Dark Fantasy. Magical Realism, on the other hand, I'm not too fond of. Magical Realism reminds me a bit of Psychological Fiction but lacking. I'd much rather get lost in a rich Fantasy world with otherworldly powers and magic rather than the confusion that is Magical Realism.
My weekend is all booked!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I have read the entire Harry Potter series, and I would love to revisit these books. They were a major part of my young adult life.

Return to “March 2016 Genre Discussion”