Overall Rating and Opinion of Shot Down

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
Denise Wallace
Currently Reading: 11:05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-denise-wallace.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B01HC0DVM4

Re: Overall Rating and Opinion of Shot Down

Post by Denise Wallace »

Scott wrote:I'm excited to kick off our discussion of the April 2016 Book of the Month, Shot Down by Steve Snyder.

Make sure to submit your rating on the Shot Down Bookshelves Page. Then come back here to add your comments.

What is your overall opinion of Shot Down? Do you recommend others read it? Why or why not? What do you like most about it? What do you like least?
I would definitely recommend Shot Down to others. It's very inspiring. I love the courage and stamina that these men show. The pain and anguish they suffer is quite hard to read about, though, but in the end, it's worth it.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
thisisfinal213
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thisisfinal213.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by thisisfinal213 »

People who died and who were maltreated create a sympathy situation, the worst parts of the book. This is history and obviously should be shared
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
DWAITHAKA
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dwaithaka.html
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing

Post by DWAITHAKA »

The title of the book first got my attention. the books seem to be good and looking forward to reading it.
Latest Review: "Ever After" by H M Irwing
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

I love to read this book because it's a true story about pilot Howard Snyder and the crew of the B-17 Susan Ruth and it's regarding war, specifically WWII. I love to learn more about these brave people who fought in wars and get inspiration from them and use it in our day to day life struggles.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Farmgurl1 »

I am a huge history buff, so this was right up my alley. This is one of those books that is tough to read but everyone needs to read it. The pilots in WWII suffered terribly and fought bravely. These men had terrible flying conditions, a long time in active service and killed many. Without their dedication, the world may be very different today. This is a great read for anyone interested in history and it was well crafted. The author obviously did the research. There wasn't really anything I didn't like about this book.
atonykamau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atonykamau.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by atonykamau »

I found the book to be interesting to read and the plot of the story was easy to understand. I also found that the story was quite touching to the point that it almost moved me to tears.
Mana_Hale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mana-hale.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Mana_Hale »

My father has always loved war movies, airplanes, etc - based on all the reviews shared here this looks like it'd be a great book to get him as a gift :)
nancyab
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancyab.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by nancyab »

I was able to get the book at my local library, although they had to bring it in from the library of another town. I was surprised that my library didn't have a copy. I'm about 3/4 of the way through and am very pleased that I was able to read it. My husband fought in WWII, not in Europe nor in the Air Force, but as a Sailor stationed to a Marine base on the Island of Okinawa. Because of this, I do read whatever I can on WWII. The book was well written and certainly holds one's attention all the way through. I was saddened, however, to see the two photos of the flight crew who were killed when the Susan Ruth was shot down. For any of their living relatives, this could have been an unpleasant shock and, to me, in poor taste. This is the only negative thing I can say about the book.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

Non-fiction is not an easy genre for me to read but i would say i enjoyed this one and i recommend it.
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
I_Am_Israt
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Ten Dolls
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-am-israt.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by I_Am_Israt »

Steve Snyder's military history book, Shot Down, reads like a novel, yet it isn't. Shot Down is a remarkable compilation of historical data that is represented in a well written and thought provoking narrative. It's most highly recommended.
Cyrus Michino
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyrus-michino.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Cyrus Michino »

scquarantillo wrote: 04 Apr 2016, 13:06 I just downloaded and I am excited to start! The review was great and it sounds like my type of book. I will let you know what I think!
I can't wait to read your inputs on the book.
dtbrannon
Currently Reading: Making Sense of Life Explaining Genes & Telepathy
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtbrannon.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by dtbrannon »

I have only read a sample of this book so far, but it immediately recalled memories of my own father's service in the Second Armored Division, during WW-II. My dad never really talked about the war until the last couple of years of his life.

Amazingly, what stood out most for me, were my father's description of how several of the German prisoners, were actually American citizens that had returned to the fatherland.

I myself am a Navy veteran and spent a large portion of my career working around four-engine P3 aircraft. Though not aircrew myself, I am familiar with the stress and working conditions of long patrols. I remember standing at the end of the tarmac, on days when aircraft would be launching, and watching them "yaw" as the four-engine monsters struggled to lift into the air.

I will definitely be reading more of this book.
Paluk Pathania
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paluk-pathania.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Paluk Pathania »

This fantastic book, written by the son of a B17 pilot, relates the real account of how the plane was shot down over Nazi-occupied Europe during WWII, and what happened to the ten-man crew when they bailed out. The book is packed with images and can be used as a reference tool as well as a fun read. This is an intriguing book, partially because it was written by the son of the pilot featured in this true event, and perhaps that is why it has such a personal touch since it is warm and personable.
Chinazo Anozie
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinazo-anozie.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Chinazo Anozie »

I'm not really a fan of non-fiction, much less of war stories, but it seems the author really did his research on the book, and that is very commendable.
Sheila Gehlmann
Currently Reading: Chasing Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-gehlmann.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Sheila Gehlmann »

I was very impressed with the research that was done prior to writing the book. What a gift from a son to his father to honor him by writing a book about his experience at war.

I highly recommend the book to others. It's interesting to read a true story instead of fiction, because it is something that actually happened in real life. It is historical fact that can educate those who are unaware of all that happened in WWII and didn't live through it. I especially liked all of the photographs and excerpts from actual letters that were written during the war. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars!

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”