The Family

Discuss the April Book of the Month Shot Down by Steve Snyder.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Re: The Family

Post by bookowlie »

Metka wrote:Yes, both sides had to be strong. The ones who left and their relatives. The II. world war was terrible. So many people lost contact with their relatives and friends. So many were hiding... The chaos separated people, but those that survived found their way back to normal life. Off course, If they could. Some were left with huge scars of war. That can last a lifetime. And their families also. They did not even know if their loved ones were alive.. It's hard to imagine the horrible things they had to experience... My grandparents told me a lot about those times. Definitely, they all had to be as strong as possible.
I agree about the chaos and people who lost contact with their relatives and friends. They are so many stories about survivors who had no idea if their loved ones lived or died, and spent years trying to find out.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
LarkSpur25
Currently Reading: Keeper of the Heart
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larkspur25.html

Post by LarkSpur25 »

Both sides must be strong. I've gone through this and it's not easy for either side. The soldier has to risk their life as well as be away from loved ones. While the other side of the coin means the loved ones must endure the day to day struggle without their beloved soldier and don't always know where the soldier is or if he or she is safe.
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

It is hard to compare the two. It takes different kinds of strength to be able to do both. There is so much uncertainty when someone get deployed, it's like the lives of everyone involved is up in the air and can change drastically in a second. I couldn't imagine what it would feel like to live with that thought every day. Both sides are stronger than I could ever be.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
Chris123
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris123.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Chris123 »

Both sides have to be brave and the comparison between is just not possible. One is being brave for yourself while the other is being brave for a loved one. I guess if I HAD to compare the two the men going off to war are more brave because they have to face the danger head on, while the family gets to be brave from the comfort of their home. Again I find this very hard to compare....
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I think they both require a lot of strength and bravery. And I also think it depends on what kind of war it is, for example during World War 2 the families of the people at war might be in danger also, but in wars of today like when people go and fight in the middle east then the person fighting at least has some peace of mind that they're family is safe.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am sure that both the soldier and the family face many stressful moments, particularly when they are unable to communicate and each side worries about the other. Thanks to technology today, people are able to reach each other instantly and constantly.

Both the fighter and the beloved he/she leaves behind need to be brave. The question is, do we really need this aggravation? History tells us that no one ever wins a war.
LKCooper
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Breaking Sandcastles</a>
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes Detective Agency
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by LKCooper »

Both sides had it hard I'm sure. To risk your life for your country and loved ones is bad enough, then to leave a family behind... so sad. To stay and hold the fort and never hearing for weeks sometimes if your loved on is safe...equally difficult I'd say. Mental torture on both sides. Thankfully, today we have amazing lines of communication that they did not have back in WWII. They couldn't call weekly back then, and of course there was no Skype, Facetime, or emails... God bless all our service persons.
japp30
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by japp30 »

great, the world is a family
Soumeg
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soumeg.html
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens

Post by Soumeg »

The warriors who fight in the battles and wars have to be courageous and determined. They are brave to face the gruesome reality and to give their all to their side. But I believe their families are the ones that are strong, strong enough to hope for news, strong enough to accept the aftermath and strong to accept the death of their loved ones.
Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
fatemeh133
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatemeh133.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by fatemeh133 »

It is hard to compare, and neither do service men nor the families have it easy. The struggles are certainly very different. The children should not be forgotten in this midst. The book describes the trials and tribulation well. Being familiar with some aspects of this issue, i am biased to say families left behind might have it a bit harder. The ones who go to war know where they are going. Those left behind have to wing it and deal with issues as they come up, most unforeseen and unexpected.
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

It takes a strong heart to go to war but it takes an even stronger heart to allow the majority of your family: your father, husband, brother, son into war.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The person who makes the conscious decision to go to war would be the braver of the two. Yes, the loved ones left behind are also brave for withstanding all that negative anticipation.
Caffeinemom4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Caffeinemom4 »

The ones that chooses to go to war and the family and friends that gets left behind are all strong. Their strong love will help the love ones that goes to war, that's what makes them so brave. I have respect for all military that has to go to war and fight for our country, to make sure we stay safe!!!
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

I person who decides to go to war is brave but I think the family who stays at home is even stronger because of withstanding all that negative anticipation.
ngoccanh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by ngoccanh »

thanks .I don't want to downplay what the spouses have to deal with. Certainly, the spouses have to live with the fear that their loved ones won't come home and the not knowing what's going on. This was even harder for them before the age of advanced technology where the service members can Skype or communicate more frequently with their loved ones.

Return to “"Shot Down" by Steve Snyder”