Official Review: Mystified By Stephanie by Daniel A. Shea

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Official Review: Mystified By Stephanie by Daniel A. Shea

Post by CommMayo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mystified By Stephanie" by Daniel A. Shea.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mystified By Stephanie is an illustrated novel presented as a screenplay by Daniel A. Shea. On his acknowledgments page, he claims that it is a fictional account; however, by the style in which the tale is told about the main character Dan Shea, the story feels more like an embellished memoir.

Growing up, Dan was an inventive trouble maker. Partially deaf, he used his differentness to his advantage as a child and eventually became quite proficient at reading lips. When all of his friends decided to enlist in the Marines, Dan gladly joined them on their trip to the recruiter…only to be turned away because of his partial deafness. His girlfriend, Stephanie, was also doing everything she could to try to keep him from joining the military; she even turned the recruiters away from their door when they tried to pick him up for a special hearing test he was guaranteed to pass (wink, wink). Despite his girlfriend’s meddling, Dan does eventually have the opportunity to use his unique abilities to serve his country.

While reading this book, one needs to keep in mind that it is essentially a working draft of a screenplay. It includes notes about staging and background music with a major emphasis on The Talking Heads. The piece also contains a lot of pictures of locations and people that are referenced in the novel. There are notes warning the reader that the author must be contacted to find the status of semi-classified government information. So, keeping all of that in mind, Mystified By Stephanie is a rather humorous story about childhood mischief blooming into adolescent and adult shenanigans. There were moments that had me chuckling and trying to envision the story unfolding on the big screen.

Unfortunately, the story is presented in a very choppy style that makes it a bit hard to follow along. There is some jumping about in time and location, as well as a very confusing progression of Dan’s time in the military. The title’s namesake, Stephanie, plays such a minor role in the screenplay that one wonders why her one-dimensional, weak character has even been included at all. The copy also needs a strong going over by an editor. While I am not the most well-versed in critiquing screenplays, this piece has enough grammar and editing mistakes to be distracting to the reader. Additionally, many of the pictures and illustrations are distorted from poor formatting or were of very poor resolution to begin with.

If this were a straight-up novel with this many errors, confusing plotlines, and formatting issues, I would probably assign it a single star. Since this is technically a screenplay and has some potential, I’ll give Mystified By Stephanie 2 out of 4 stars. I think with a little more work and some solid editing, Shea could have a marketable movie screenplay. Anyone who grew up wild in the early seventies would enjoy some of the nostalgia present in this work. A filmmaker or director would also be able to see this for the potentially fun movie or play that is lurking in the pages of this screenplay.

Mystified By Stephanie
View: on Bookshelves
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Eternal Hero by William Grace
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

How mystifying that Stephanie features so much in the title and on the cover and so little in the body of the screenplay! Sounds as if there are some great ideas in here. On the whole, I'm glad that the 70s are over ...
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I should have mentioned that the author wrote this while recovering from a coma...with one eye...and feeling pretty awful. He has managed to do something I have dreamed of doing despite his hurdles.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It does seem strange that the book is named after a character who has such a minor role. The confusing timeline and disjointed writing style are problematic. Thanks for your honest review.
memphis_14
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by memphis_14 »

the story was interesting but there should have bin more to it for someone who can't hear but they can read lips and to add he has a good girl friend
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Dan feels like a wonderful character despite his deficiencies. The humor will also make me want to read this book. Thanks for the nice review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I do enjoy humor in stories, but this book has enough other issues that I'm glad you read it instead of me. Thanks for a very informative and well-written review!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

Your summary made me want to read the book ,but as I read the rest of the review especially the section where you said that the plot is confusing and hard to follow ,I suddenly lost interest. I hope they fix the errors.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

It's sad that it was not better edited and done. It sounds like it could have been a great book. Thank you for the honest review
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

Inspite of its flaws, I still find this book interesting. Thanks for an honest and thoughtful review.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I agree that the book's errors made the screenplay very troubling to read, along with the awkward sequencing and formatting errors. I, personally, found these things difficult to get past, but I also agree with your take on the humor. It's funny enough to find the screenplay interesting and to hope for a good movie down the line. Great review!
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Devika menon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-devika-menon.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by Devika menon »

The book sounds great. Thank you for mentioning the errors. Great review!
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Thanks for the review. I expected that the book would be all about Stephanie. I don't really know much about screen plays so I will give this one a pass.
Nadege 12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nadege 12 »

This book looks very interesting to read. I had no idea the author was in a coma when he wrote this book.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”