Official Review: One Of A Kind by Donald Graham

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: One Of A Kind by Donald Graham

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Of A Kind" by Donald Graham.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One of a Kind is a collection of portraiture by the American photographer Donald Graham. The collection includes numerous black-and-white photographs taken by the photographer during his decades-long career. The portraiture includes all types of individuals and spans continents. Portraits of celebrities, political figures, and everyday people hailing from New York, Taos, Morocco, Jamaica, Tibet, India, and Europe, among others, can be found in this deeply expressive portraiture collection.

Each photograph in One of a Kind tells an intimate story. The facial expressions, poses, choice of clothing, and selective backgrounds work together to form fully fleshed-out images that highlight a sense of agency in each subject. Further, Graham’s artistry aptly showcases the unique humanity of each individual. From iconic figures to anonymous people, the portraiture is interesting, thought-provoking, and captures the essence, personality, and identity of each individual. I was simply blown away by the evocative portraits in One of a Kind.

Moreover, the physical presentation of the book is exquisite. The black-and-white photographs are printed on high-quality paper and compiled in a thick, aesthetically pleasing binding. Unboxing this item felt like a special treat: the craftsmanship of the binding, the precision of the printing, and the thoughtful order of the photographs were all immediately apparent. Further, the weight of the book complements the heaviness found in the individual photographs. One of a Kind could be beautifully displayed on any coffee table.

There is so much to love about the artwork found in One of a Kind. In addition to the portraits, the titles also proved interesting. Some subjects are identified by their full name, others by only a first name, and some individuals are not named at all, rather they are identified by their occupation or a physical identifier coupled with a location, such as “Girl with Closed Eyes, Dakar, Senegal”. Additionally, an index at the back of the book includes brief details about each of the photographs. However, I would have liked the photographer to include dates. The collection spans thirty years of photography, and although the images are timeless, the addition of the dates of each portrait could have added context to the subjects’ stories.

One of a Kind truly is a one-of-a-kind experience. Digesting Graham’s portraiture proved to be an engaging and enlightening journey. There was nothing to dislike about this book, and I noticed no grammatical errors in the text. I highly recommend this collection to readers who enjoy art, especially photography and portraiture, and to readers who are interested in a beautiful physical book to display in their home. One of a Kind earns a strong 4 out of 4 stars.

One Of A Kind
View: on Bookshelves
Pallavi Lakra
Currently Reading: Apotheosis Now
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pallavi Lakra »

A book with portraits which narrates individual stories of its own sounds very unique. Thanks for the review!
Vetto
Currently Reading: Poems About Things That Mattered Most
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Vetto »

A book seems like a good one with the way the author uses portraits for the characters. A good book but this will be a miss for me.
Victor Kilyungi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victor-kilyungi.html
Latest Review: A Fate Unwound Too Soon by anna-karen sorensen

Post by Victor Kilyungi »

A one of a kind experience...
It seems interesting. I've never read or handled a book full of only pictures. Maybe a photo album, lol. Thanks for your review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

This sounds absolutely beautiful. I feel like it would be best appreciated in a hard copy to get the full effect. Great review!
zayyyna
Currently Reading: My "Enemy" in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zayyyna.html
Latest Review: Underdog Thinking by Atul Vir

Post by zayyyna »

thanks . for the review the books sounds beautifull . i 'll read soon
Saprin Subandi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Saprin Subandi »

Excellent
This book contains incredible pictures taken by great and reliable photographers. the story is able to develop the spirit of other photographers out there
Justin Moonah

Post by Justin Moonah »

This book sounds awesome! I'd prefer it in colors but I bet it'll be just as great in black and whire. Thanks for the review!
Khushboo Barwar
Favorite Book: Inertia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khushboo-barwar.html
Latest Review: The Price of Dreams by Jerry A. Greenberg
Reading Device: B07XVJZPKZ

Post by Khushboo Barwar »

This review is beautiful. A book that captures the beauty, not only in the daily chores but also in how people from different cultures carries themselves, what their clothing represent. This book surely sounds beautiful. I would love to try this out. Thanks for the review.
valiantecho
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valiantecho.html
Latest Review: Conversing with Various Entities by Mary Ellen Wall

Post by valiantecho »

The way you explained, it seems to be a good book but I don't think I would be interested in it.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

I love reading books with pictures. This kind of book are easy to understand. The review is interesting to read. I feel book will be more interesting to read. Characters looks fascinating.
aniket2

Post by aniket2 »

Good example and experience this book. I'm so glad to read this book. It is very nice thought this in book.
Humera955
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-humera955.html
Latest Review: Smart Love by Vincent Fudge II
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Humera955 »

Great review🍀
Going straight to my reading list
:tiphat:
Ethan Howe
Favorite Author: Matthew Tysz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ethan-howe.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier
fav_author_id: 50532

Post by Ethan Howe »

Photo that tell the story seem yo be unique. I have never tried such a novel before. I don't think I will be able to comprehend the stories behind the novels.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”