Review of Lilleah

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of Lilleah

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lilleah" by eelonqa K harris.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lilleah was a mermaid who was adopted by a kind family after her mother was captured. She adored her sisters and obeyed her father when he instructed her to wait until she was older before venturing off to see the neighboring lakes and rivers. One day, after she was old enough, Lilleah went exploring and did not return. Her family refused to believe she had fallen in love with a prince and run away. They organized a search but did not find her. What happened to Lilleah? Find out when you read this engaging tale bearing her name.

I know little about mermaids—even the Disney princess Ariel was not enough to capture my interest—but I adored Lilleah. The beautiful blue hues in her locks, tail, and eyes were enchanting, but I admired her integrity most of all. She loved and respected her adoptive family, and they cherished her in return. I adopted her as well and longed for her safe recovery.

The 50-page story, set against the backdrop of the beautiful land of the Coast Salish nations in Canada, has elements of mystery, adventure, and even activism. Categorizing this read as a graphic novel is reasonable, but it does not do justice to the multimedia reading experience it offers. Lilleah is an admirable merger of technology with other trade skills. I most appreciate the author’s time and dedication in making the models and placing them in scenes that bring life to this mystical story. The characters are 12-inch-tall 3D avatars made to resemble the cast presented at the end of the book. Their outfits are elaborate costumes featuring historically accurate period clothing and other detailed garb scaled to the avatar size.

The author and illustrator, eelonqa K harris, describes herself as “socially incommodious,” but she has amassed an impressive set of collaborators in this work. The artisans include weavers, carvers, and tailors throughout Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States. And the linguists comprise Inuktitut, Plains Cree, and French translators. This book will be released in six languages, various print formats, and an audiobook version. When I googled the title before selecting this review opportunity, I found the author had posted a video introduction to the book on YouTube and watched it: the video beautifully captured the essence of this story.

I rate Lilleah 5 out of 5 stars. There was absolutely nothing I disliked in this read. I highly recommend this storyline and unique presentation to readers who appreciate mystical tales and enchanting settings. The writing style is best for readers ages 10 and up, but all ages would enjoy the visuals. Even if you decide not to read the book, check out the video.

Lilleah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review Your detailed analysis of the author's use of multimedia and collaboration with artisans piqued my interest in the book, and your admiration for the protagonist and her integrity convinced me that this may be a mermaid story worth reading, even for someone who is not typically interested in the genre. I appreciate your recommendation for readers of all ages to give this book a chance, and I will definitely be checking out the video you mentioned. Thank you for your thorough and enthusiastic review!
Kavita Shah
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

Amazing review Donna!
I really like Lilleah's story summary. One question pops after reading it, where did she go and why didn't she come back? The art sounds fantastic. So many people involved in making this book and 3D art of 10-inch characters, a blue beautiful mermaid. Great. I would love to read it and see these great visuals, and kind of enrich my creative mind.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Adiskidan wrote: 29 May 2023, 17:01 Thank you for writing such a thoughtful review Your detailed analysis of the author's use of multimedia and collaboration with artisans piqued my interest in the book, and your admiration for the protagonist and her integrity convinced me that this may be a mermaid story worth reading, even for someone who is not typically interested in the genre. I appreciate your recommendation for readers of all ages to give this book a chance, and I will definitely be checking out the video you mentioned. Thank you for your thorough and enthusiastic review!
It's easy to be enthusiastic when you enjoy the reading experience. :D It was a wonderful story: you will get a glimpse of it when you check out the video.

Thank you for your visit and your kind comment!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Kavita Shah wrote: 29 May 2023, 21:41 Amazing review Donna!
I really like Lilleah's story summary. One question pops after reading it, where did she go and why didn't she come back? The art sounds fantastic. So many people involved in making this book and 3D art of 10-inch characters, a blue beautiful mermaid. Great. I would love to read it and see these great visuals, and kind of enrich my creative mind.
There was SO much effort put into creating the characters. I'm glad the author made the YouTube video to give another avenue for showcasing them, and the music is lovely too. I hope you decide to check out this book.

Thank you for your visit and comment, Kavita.
Rosa Parks
Sarah Zain
Favorite Book: Wutheing heights
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-zain.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Sarah Zain »

That's an awesome review Donna! Your enthusiasm for the book is infectious and evident in your words. There seems to be craftsmanship in the story telling and the way it is presented in the book with the use of 3D art.
Sure it will be on my shelf 👏💗
Life is hard on its own so let's make it easier for each other if we could.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I am intrigued, therefore, I checked the youtube video, and I am loving the Lilleah Teaser. I like her image with a blue tail. It seems that she saved someone. People or family are looking for her, and she seems not in the lake but in the ocean with the amazing sea creatures she is with. I always love your amazing review, Donna! You always wrote perfect reviews. Can you be my mentor? :D 😍
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

I think I fell in love with this book before I even read it. Your review is exceptional, Donna. I can easily tell from your enthusiasm and passion that you enjoyed reading it. Lilleah seems to be an amazing person with a good sense of morality. Thanks for this outstanding review and recommendation!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Dauria04
Favorite Book: Daisy Jones and the Six
Currently Reading: The Mark of Athena
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dauria04.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Dauria04 »

This book seems to be perfect for those of us who love mermaids! As you described, I'm looking forward to immersing myself in an enchanting setting. I'll definitely check out the youtube video you mentioned! Thank you for such an engaging review!
"I had no interest in being somebody else's muse.
I am not a muse.
I am the somebody."

-Daisy Jones & The Six, Taylor Jenkins Reid.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Sarah Zain wrote: 30 May 2023, 19:13 That's an awesome review Donna! Your enthusiasm for the book is infectious and evident in your words. There seems to be craftsmanship in the story telling and the way it is presented in the book with the use of 3D art.
Sure it will be on my shelf 👏💗
There is indeed expert craftsmanship on display in this book. I enjoyed every bit of this reading experience. If you decide to check it out, but sure to read it cover to cover. There are some fun notes after the story.

Thank you for your visit and kind comment, Sarah.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 30 May 2023, 19:47 I am intrigued, therefore, I checked the youtube video, and I am loving the Lilleah Teaser. I like her image with a blue tail. It seems that she saved someone. People or family are looking for her, and she seems not in the lake but in the ocean with the amazing sea creatures she is with. I always love your amazing review, Donna! You always wrote perfect reviews. Can you be my mentor? :D 😍
Oh, there are many facets to this intriguing story, Hazel Mae. I can't believe the author covered so much in 50 pages! I hope I will be able to hear it read in one of the indigenous languages of the area. The music in the video was also captivating.

Wow--your comment is quite flattering. Thank you for your acknowledgement. :romance-heartsfade:
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Omneya Shakeep wrote: 31 May 2023, 09:40 I think I fell in love with this book before I even read it. Your review is exceptional, Donna. I can easily tell from your enthusiasm and passion that you enjoyed reading it. Lilleah seems to be an amazing person with a good sense of morality. Thanks for this outstanding review and recommendation!
This is one of those reading experiences that is a gift for any reviewer. There was so much to like about the book that the whole time I was reading it, I knew my biggest obstacle would be choosing what to edit out of the review :D.

Thank you for your visit. I appreciate your kind comment, Omneya.
Rosa Parks
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

MsH2k wrote: 31 May 2023, 19:10
Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 30 May 2023, 19:47 I am intrigued, therefore, I checked the youtube video, and I am loving the Lilleah Teaser. I like her image with a blue tail. It seems that she saved someone. People or family are looking for her, and she seems not in the lake but in the ocean with the amazing sea creatures she is with. I always love your amazing review, Donna! You always wrote perfect reviews. Can you be my mentor? :D 😍
Oh, there are many facets to this intriguing story, Hazel Mae. I can't believe the author covered so much in 50 pages! I hope I will be able to hear it read in one of the indigenous languages of the area. The music in the video was also captivating.

Wow--your comment is quite flattering. Thank you for your acknowledgment. :romance-heartsfade:
Yes, I mean it. I so wish you are my mentor, Donna. You're welcome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Dauria04 wrote: 31 May 2023, 09:45 This book seems to be perfect for those of us who love mermaids! As you described, I'm looking forward to immersing myself in an enchanting setting. I'll definitely check out the youtube video you mentioned! Thank you for such an engaging review!
Since you love mermaids, you will definitely enjoy this story. Being a mermaid novice, I found one particular part of the story very interesting. You will probably read it and think, "Yeah, that's right!" :)

Thank you for stopping by, Dauria04. I hope you decide to read this book.
Rosa Parks
Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu
Favorite Book: The Midwife of Auschwitz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-n-brega-bartolomeu.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Sara Nóbrega Bartolomeu »

Sounds like a beautiful book. I love the way you described the illustrations. They seemed so vivid. Thank you so much for your recommendation. I will add it to my want-to-read shelf!

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”