Best Kid Friendly Graphic Novel

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Icon Best Kid Friendly Graphic Novel

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

I love Manga and other Graphic novels. But the ones I have started with are not kid friendly. I was wondering what you would recommend for a child that is 12 & under?
(They can be any subject because he likes history, nature, and pretty much everything.)
Thank you!! :techie-studyinggray: :D
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
PeaceLoveNature44
Favorite Book: Apollo's Raven
Currently Reading: Cows I Have Known
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peacelovenature44.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by PeaceLoveNature44 »

There is Casper and Pokemon that I would recommend. I am looking for different ones. I hope this helps others as well!!
“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
― Mahatma Gandhi
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I have some suggestions but it's been a while and I'm sure if they're available digitally or in print. I've read some LEGO Bionicle volumes back in high school and they were pretty good; Hero Factory is their replacement. Maybe Azumanga Daioh (BIG maybe, 4 volumes) along with Teen Titans Go comic (2014, by J. Torres).

It's not much of a list but a lot of the reading selections there were around when I was younger is difficult to find. The Scooby-Doo comics and Minecraft comics could be worth looking into.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

PeaceLoveNature44 wrote: 19 May 2019, 16:04 I love Manga and other Graphic novels. But the ones I have started with are not kid friendly. I was wondering what you would recommend for a child that is 12 & under?
(They can be any subject because he likes history, nature, and pretty much everything.)
Thank you!! :techie-studyinggray: :D
Good topic. Wish I could be helpful here, but I'm very interested if other members have good responses.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Both Batman and Hellboy have series geared towards kids called Li'l Gotham and Hellboy Jr. DC comics is also starting to release more kid friendly comics, though I can't recall which ones.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
meganlizzybit
Favorite Book: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Currently Reading: Crown of Midnight
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by meganlizzybit »

My local comic book store has a whole section that is purely comics and graphic novels for kids, so if there's a store near you I recommend starting there! Otherwise, Scooby-Doo, Minecraft, The Witch Boy, DeadEndia, Sci-Fu, Sonic the Hedgehog, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Adventure Time, Ben 10, Garfield, Lumberjanes, Rugrats, Steven Universe, and certain Star Wars titles might be good places to start. I haven't read all of them myself, but I've babysat kids who have. (Be careful with Star Wars titles, though - some are more adult than others.)

A lot of kids' shows have accompanying comic books/graphic novels, especially from Cartoon Network. DC and Marvel also have their own rating systems (E for Everyone from DC and ALL AGES from Marvel), so that's an easy way to filter through stuff that might be inappropriate. I'm pretty sure some indie comic companies like Image also have rating systems in place as well. B&N and Amazon also have lists of kids' graphic novels based on reading level you could look into.

Hope this helps!
HannahTheAlpaca
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HannahTheAlpaca »

Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke. Fun space adventure, lots of creative aliens and robots, and an engaging story.
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

One piece, Naruto and hunter x hunter, Ninja Baseball Kyuma. Many online manga sites give the category for age groups. Shonen jump is a good,clean fun manga publisher. They did Dragonball onwards.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I like Dogman and Captain underpants. They have silly humor which I has always made me laugh. Diary of a wimpy kid is also good.
Mang 2020

Post by Mang 2020 »

I like smile, sisters, and animie comics grom webtoon!!
Jake7410
Currently Reading:

Post by Jake7410 »

HannahTheAlpaca wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 14:59 Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke. Fun space adventure, lots of creative aliens and robots, and an engaging story.
god i love that series so much, i too recommend it
Jake7410
Currently Reading:

Post by Jake7410 »

Bad Machinery is amazing, it's a pretty underrated gem that I was really into about a year ago. It's juvenile fiction with some healthy sprinkles of comedy and sci-fi, and a little bit of romance. I know from experience that it's a hit with kids, so I highly recommend it.
Pham Reader
Currently Reading: Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Pham Reader »

Chi's sweet home - a manga about a cat named Chi. Even as an adult I found this manga lovely, always put a smile on my face. By the way, there is amime version of it.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”