Official Review: Our Autumn Years; not golden but interes...

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Official Review: Our Autumn Years; not golden but interes...

Post by Dentarthurdent »

"The treatment that the elderly receive, whether we realise it or not, is patronising at best, and offensive at worst."

These are some of the truest words I've heard this year, and that's a bit depressing. Thanks for such a wonderful review; I'm glad that the author found a mix of maudlin and self-deprecating humour that spawns this profound work that's moved you so much.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 13 Feb 2020, 17:13 "The treatment that the elderly receive, whether we realise it or not, is patronising at best, and offensive at worst."

These are some of the truest words I've heard this year, and that's a bit depressing. Thanks for such a wonderful review; I'm glad that the author found a mix of maudlin and self-deprecating humour that spawns this profound work that's moved you so much.
Oh, it is depressing. And I'm a culprit of it! This was a great eye-opener :)
Thanks so much for commenting - I really appreciate it.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very interesting and unique book! The subject is provoking for sure, and I would like to check this one out. Thank you for a great review!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ellylion wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 06:10 Sounds like a very interesting and unique book! The subject is provoking for sure, and I would like to check this one out. Thank you for a great review!
Thanks so much for your comments :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
fadjei
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fadjei.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by fadjei »

This book sounds awesome! It's great that it's talking about people growing old. Aging is a natural thing which everyone will go through. It's good to have discussion like this. Really great review.
Thanks for the review
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

fadjei wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 14:11 This book sounds awesome! It's great that it's talking about people growing old. Aging is a natural thing which everyone will go through. It's good to have discussion like this. Really great review.
Thanks for the review
It is an absolutely natural thing, I agree!
Thanks so much for your kind comment :)
- Dr. Seuss
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

Getting old is a fact. We should all realize the reality of it. It is nice to introduce aging through comics. I believe the illustrations could be funny and gentle on those persons who are afraid of crossing certain milestones. Aging brings maturity, reason, experience, and many other positives if looked at from the perspective of a glass-half-full.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D
Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Caribqueen16 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 05:09 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Autumn Years; not golden but interesting" by Arthur Hartz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Autumn Years; not golden but interesting is a book that consists of single-pane comics and short-phrase banners. In a very creative way, it brings attention to some of the thought-provoking events that occur through getting older. For some reason, this is a topic that is avoided by many people, but Arthur Hartz, the author, has hit the nail on the head with his ironic and sometimes dark comics. In seven chapters covering the majority of what it means to get old, Hartz embraces the intricacies of the aged in a truly unique and appealing way.

As I mentioned above, speaking about getting old, especially with someone who is elderly, is not something that people tend to do. People would rather just avoid these delicate topics completely than try to awkwardly ramble about things they may know nothing about. This is a tough subject, and the only way to truthfully capture its difficulties without offence is through humour. Hartz accomplishes this with grace and hilarity.

An added bonus was the effect the comics had on me. Not only are they an accurate representation of what it’s like to get older, but they also reflect the distressing state of society. The treatment that the elderly receive, whether we realise it or not, is patronising at best, and offensive at worst. It is a reminder that older people are not a separate species who need to be treated differently, but instead that they have had lives full of experiences which could be learnt from.

I know – all this from a few comics, right?

But, this does go to show the strength a few truths can hold. Along with the comics, there are a few banners scattered throughout the pages. These consist of epigrams that reflect the tone of the book. One of my favourites is, “My days of having a train of thought are past. Now I have butterflies of thought.” These little witticisms are a great way to break up the comics and added wonderful value to the illustrations.

The only problem that I had with this book is that there were, unfortunately, a few comics that were beyond my understanding. I’m not sure if they just went over my head, or if I was missing something vital, but I just didn’t get them. I think the author may have been trying to say too much with too few words which ultimately led to some of the comics being confusing. However, this definitely did not take away from my overall enjoyment of the book.

I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to people of all ages, even though it is a book about getting older. It is a great guide to remind us to treat all people with respect, including and especially those that may have a few years on us. There is a definite sadness to the book, and I’ll end with one of Hartz’s poignantly profound notes: “Someday, someone will understand what interesting people we were.”

Our Autumn Years; not golden but interesting
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Getting old is a fact. We should all realize the reality of it. It is nice to introduce aging through comics. I believe the illustrations could be funny and gentle on those persons who are afraid of crossing certain milestones. Aging brings maturity, reason, experience, and many other positives if looked at from the perspective of a glass-half-full.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Caribqueen16 wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 10:30 Getting old is a fact. We should all realize the reality of it. It is nice to introduce aging through comics. I believe the illustrations could be funny and gentle on those persons who are afraid of crossing certain milestones. Aging brings maturity, reason, experience, and many other positives if looked at from the perspective of a glass-half-full.
Absolutely! Thank you so much for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I think this is an amazing book. It wouldn't hurt to read up a book about getting old. I love your review too. Thanks.
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

oh wow what a great way to tackle a difficult and emotive subject. I have to admit getting older terrifies me. This book may help with that. I'll check it out. Great review thanks for sharing xxx
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 510
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

Thanks for the review! Yes it is true; people do not want to talk about getting older because it tends to be a negative experience. However, the author seems to talk about it in a way that people become interested enough to understand. :)
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Zee_Zee wrote: 24 Apr 2020, 18:46 I think this is an amazing book. It wouldn't hurt to read up a book about getting old. I love your review too. Thanks.
Thank you for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Northernbird84 wrote: 27 Apr 2020, 06:54 oh wow what a great way to tackle a difficult and emotive subject. I have to admit getting older terrifies me. This book may help with that. I'll check it out. Great review thanks for sharing xxx
Oh my goodness it terrifies me too. And I'm definitely not a spring chicken anymore!
Thanks so much for stopping by :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Katie Canedy wrote: 01 May 2020, 23:36 Thanks for the review! Yes it is true; people do not want to talk about getting older because it tends to be a negative experience. However, the author seems to talk about it in a way that people become interested enough to understand. :)
Absolutely! It was fun to read :) Thanks for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”