Official Review: Cold-Blooded Vol 1 by Perry Edwards

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Cold-Blooded Vol 1 by Perry Edwards

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cold-Blooded Vol 1" by Perry Edwards.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cold-Blooded Volume 1 by Perry Edwards is a graphic novel that follows the story of the activities of Rem Smart, a sophomore student of Dragon High School, before and after he discovers that he possesses unique abilities that make him different from regular humans. This novel is the first book of the series.

Just after saving his classmate, Sein Webb, from bullies, Rem is attacked by a cylindrical flying unit (CFU) robot. Just before the CFU robot deals its last blow to kill Rem, he metamorphoses into a monster and tears the CFU robot apart. In a state of confusion, Rem goes home in his monster form, having no prior knowledge of how to change back to human. When his grandfather sees him, he explains that a curse that runs through the family, makes them turn to monsters at will. He also tells Rem about their enemy called Darkness. He also explains that Darkness controlled the CFU robots and that he was responsible for his father’s disappearance. His grandfather, however, warns him not to use his powers again. But with the enemy that captured his father coming for him, will Rem heed to his grandfather’s advice? What does Darkness want with Rem?

An essential aspect of a graphic book is that the illustrations have to exist in such a way that the characters are unique, distinguishable, and consistent. The author justified the character building in that regard, and as such, I was able to identify each character just by their appearance. The sequence of events was also commendable. I liked that the author structured the book in a way that each chapter is dependent on the previous one, which is suitable for the story because the reader is invited to follow the story from the beginning. I am additionally content with the degree of suspense in the story; this guaranteed I was as eager and anxious as can be, wondering what was going to happen next. The end of the story was also fair, but this is by no means the end of the story as there is still room for a second book in the series.

However, I found one particular part of this story to be unrealistic; the part where Sein Webb’s father was willing to use him as a lab rat to test his newly developed formula when he saw that Sein was a vulnerable kid that was constantly bullied. I mean, that is not the way any parent would react even if some untested formula promised to make their child stronger. Additionally, I found some of the font employed by the author during the dialogue a bit unclear and challenging to see at first sight. Although each character was distinguishable as I earlier stated, I still feel that each character spoke the same way, and there was no discernible phrase used during the dialogue that sets them apart from each other.

Additionally, this piece is professionally edited even if I expected nothing less given the minimal number of words contained in the text. As a result of my negative observations, I have decided to remove two stars and rate Cold-Blooded Volume 1 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t rank it one star because although its execution isn’t the best, I believe that the author has produced a story that has a well-organized plot. I recommend this book to fans of Dragon Ball Z, Naruto, and people who are interested in graphic novels relating to action and thriller.

Cold-Blooded Vol 1
View: on Bookshelves
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

The plot of this book sounds interesting, but it seems it lacked proper delivery. Thanks for your honest review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Sounds interesting. I like reading graphic novels. But considering the unrealistic part that you’ve mentioned, I’m not sure whether I’ll like it or not. Thanks for your insightful review.
The_Vivian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-vivian.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by The_Vivian »

From your review, it is quite unclear if the book should be categorized as a children's book or as merely a graphic novel. All the same, I think you did a good job with the summary because after reading through, I can already tell that Rem kept on using his powers despite his grandfather's advise. Also, I can already see him fighting more Robots sent by Darkness. In essence, this looks like a nice book to read and I am already yearning for it. Nice review.
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

It is such a shame that it has a well thought through plot but the execution was not good. Thanks for such an insightful review.
TADSAILS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tadsails.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by TADSAILS »

What an interesting graphics novel. I would love to find out how rem would hopefully conquer the controller of CFU. Nice review
robcarr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by robcarr »

I really like graphic novels. I might check this one out really soon. Thanks for your review!
BraItu
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braitu.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by BraItu »

Thank you for the review. It seems like a great book for me
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

I like that it has a good plot. Thanks for the review
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

The plot gave me DragonBallZ vibes greatly. I have only seen bits and pieces of this series, but the way that the characters transform into monsters is exactly what seems to happen in Cold-Blooded Vol 1. Awesome review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”