Do Manga/Web Novels deserve literary recognition?

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sockweather
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Do Manga/Web Novels deserve literary recognition?

Post by sockweather »

I consider them new literature formats that deserve as much recognition and acknowledgement as traditional books. Lots of people in the literature community consider these mediums as juvenile and not as noteworthy as traditional forms. What do you think?
SaraHysaro
Currently Reading: Batman
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by SaraHysaro »

I think every form of literary media should be worthy of consideration, regardless of its presented form. A good story is a good story, and it'd be a shame to overlook a masterpiece just because it's different. Each medium has its own strengths and weaknesses, and we ought to praise those that attempt to push their medium's strengths to the absolute limit.
SarahTheReader
Currently Reading: Mansfield Park
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahthereader.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by SarahTheReader »

I think that these new formats of literature are just as worthy of recognition as traditional formats. Not only do mangas and web novels take talent to complete but the addition of illustrations also make for a more inclusive and accessible experience for all audiences. For instance, within the past few years of mangas becoming increasingly popular, the classics have been adapted to the format and been used to introduce young audiences to the beautiful works of Austen, Hugo, Shakespeare, etc..
Noe Nae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Noe Nae »

Yes. It should be recognized as much as any other classic form of literature. Mangas tell good stories and have art for those who cannot invision the scenario in their heads. Usually this form of literature is dismissed as childish and for not having depth to their story. If you think this you probably haven't read alot of mangas.Yes there are tons of bad mangas out there but there are also tons of bad literature work. So I definitely believe Mangas should get literary recognition.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

So, I grew up reading classics and regular library material. I think the first comic reference I ever ran into (that I was aware of) was in the a-ha video "Take On Me" which I thought had something to do with Alice in Wonderland - "take on me" meaning "follow me" (or someone) which is kind of like following the white rabbit down the hole and mirrored in the Crystal Method song "Trip Like I Do" which was on the film "Spawn" (a comic, I think) soundtrack. But manga is often Asian in origin, isn't it? Is it the same thing as "anime" that is mentioned in the "Barenaked Ladies" song "One Week" when they talk about "getting in tune with Sailor Moon" and talking about the anime girls that make one think the wrong thing.

And, what is a web novel? A book that is not available on paper?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
GwendolynSmith
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GwendolynSmith »

Yes, they deserve to be recognise. I think books no matter in what form they come in will bring valuable lesson. There are certain parts or scenarios in novel and manga that make people feel related to it. I would even like to say that some novel or manga might change people's perspective especially in the younger generation. They might read manga like academia no hero and learn positive attitude from the characters in it.
Its true there are manga or novels that fully written to satisfy human violences outbreak, erotic etc. However, classic literature are the same too. There are bad and good sides in everything.
It depends on how we take it. Still, I strongly believe that novel and manga should be recognise
billday10
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: grapes of wrath
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-billday10.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by billday10 »

I think they should be recognized; some do go overboard with tropes and embody the worst of the 'weeaboo' mentality but others can be quite deep and thought provoking. The issue I think is they aren't that popular compared to more traditional literary works and well edited translations aren't always available.
Wesusa
Favorite Book: Dune
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wesusa.html
Latest Review: Thunder and Lightning, They're Not So Frightening by JD Schmith

Post by Wesusa »

I would be inclined to say yes, although I cannot recall many books I would consider to fit in this category. Not many manga or web novels are trying to tell a coherent story and often fade into a never-ending cycle of attempting to keep longevity with nothing to keep it with. Dragon Ball Z is one of my favorite manga of all time, however even I can admit that past Frieza and Cell arcs, a large amount of it didn't feel like they were telling an epic story anymore.
A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it.

The only person who can sympathize with and understand you, is you. So, be good to yourself.
Krishnajee100
Favorite Book: THE STORY OF MY LIFE
Currently Reading: art of war
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krishnajee100.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Krishnajee100 »

Yes, they should be recognised. Although not every book will be in this category but a great story, be in any format, should not be ignored just because it's different.
Khaiden T
Favorite Author: Olaf Stapledon
Currently Reading: The Return of the King
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaidentajigen.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem
fav_author_id: 39743

Post by Khaiden T »

They most certainly should be recognized if they aren't already. There are full-length novels that never see a physical release and original literature that remains available in websites, blogs and such, and their quality is still on the same level as something formally printed and published in a traditional manner.

It's all part of the evolution of things. Comic books got to the point where they could be considered literature, (and the term "graphic novel" was born) and now there are versions that are digital-only and many of them tend to be exclusive to a website and even available for free.

It's funny timing that I'm seeing this topic now, as I read a complete web graphic novel a couple days ago. I actually rarely ever touch web comics. The novel is Power Nap by Maritza Campos & Bachan.
You can look it up online.
It's about what society would be like if there was a pill that gave you the effects of a completely healthy sleep and thus there was no longer a need to do it. The protagonist is one of the few in the world who is allergic to it and still has to sleep and function in a world that doesn't accomodate him. Things go quite crazy and continue escalating from there. It's a complete work; it's not one of those that eternally gets a new page every week or so.

Oh, and I was just talking about graphic novels in those past paragraphs. Manga being recognized as literature? Absolutely. It's not up to discussion.
Wildflowertheorist
Currently Reading: Rise of the Savior
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wildflowertheorist.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Wildflowertheorist »

Mangas, manwas, comic books, graphic novels they all are amazing. And they should be recognised as real works.
They can't be dismissed simple because they involve animation or cartoons. Once people realise that there are a gazillion genres in these, perhaps more people will pick em' up and understand how amazing they can be.
"When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

-Friedrich Nietzsche
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

They definitely need more recognition. Most tend to think of the mainstream titles as being the status quo when there are whole other genres. Some years ago, I was only familiar with Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2 and Pokemon manga.

After getting the Manga: Masters of the Art book from the library, I saw there were genre I never heard of before along with different art styles. The same goes from graphic novels and comics. A lot of these so called juvenile readings aren't suitable kids which prompted one parent, who also created comics for mature audiences, to create a series that his daughters could enjoy without worry.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I don’t think it matters because it is all about personal preference. Any piece of literature should be recognized. Even if they are not popular, it should be considered a different type of genre
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I think any form of literature deserves recognition. A good story can be presented in different ways, and it should be recognized because of it. I think manga and comic books are different, but not because of it they deserve any less recognition.
Pham Reader
Currently Reading: Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Pham Reader »

If there is anyone tell me manga is not literature, I would give them a list of masterpice base on their literature preferrences that will blow them away.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”