Review of Common Sense Or The Lack Of It (Book3)

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Review of Common Sense Or The Lack Of It (Book3)

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Common Sense Or The Lack Of It (Book3)" by Tom Burns.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you overthink situations? Do you make things more complicated than necessary? When I was a child, my mother would often remind me I could see the forest and the trees if I just used my common sense. Tom Burns picks up where my mom left off in Common Sense Or The Lack Of It (Book 3), a 64-page illustration book of commonsense advice. In his introduction to this third installment in the series, Burns, “The Common Sense Fellow,” shares his motivation for the format: “You may not want to read books. You may not like to read books. But maybe you would look at pictures about what common sense should be. So look.”

One will notice a few COVID-19 masks throughout the read—Rodin’s The Thinker is sporting a mask, as are Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner—but most of the themes are timeless adages on life. In the illustrations, Burns promotes reading, hard work, and persistence. He also encourages entrepreneurship but hints it might not be the best line of work for everyone. Although the messages are simple, they still give the reader a chuckle and a pause. For example, a gem tucked in the middle of the book is a reminder that common sense would look closely at “good” advice. A well-known quotation, “When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on,” is sound advice “unless you are a few inches from the ground, then let go!”

The author uses a unique approach by including artwork from thirteen different illustrators. This is my favorite aspect of the read. Each illustrator has their own style, and I recognized the work of my favorite contributors after a while. At the end of the book, there is an index of the illustrators by page. Besides the varying illustration style, the presentation keeps the reader engaged by periodically changing the page orientation.

I rate Common Sense Or The Lack Of It (Book 3) 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted one star because there were over ten spelling errors. Some misspellings were not noticeable, but others were hard to miss. A few corrections by the illustrators will fix this problem easily.

This good-natured graphic book is for adults, but it is not an adult graphic book. The illustrations are clean and old-fashioned, making them most suitable for older adults looking for simple, old-school adages. Young adults and teens may not find the presentation relatable.

Humor is a personal preference, and the author did a commendable job of keeping the scenes centered on basic common sense, thereby avoiding politically sensitive issues. I found only one page to be marginally objectionable, and I think that’s admirable in a set of 56 illustrations. I recommend this booklet for those who want a quick dose of simple, sound, sometimes corny advice without exerting too much effort. Although there are two prior books in the series, this one can be enjoyed as a standalone treat.

Common Sense Or The Lack Of It (Book3)
View: on Bookshelves
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Hogwarts03
Currently Reading: Shatter Me
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hogwarts03.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Hogwarts03 »

I wasn't aware that so much could be communicated through humor in a graphic book. Great review!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

It's a nice touch that the author tried to make the book relevant and relatable by having illustrations of well-known characters wearing masks. Even though the advice might be corny, it might be good for a few laughs.

Thank you for an excellent review as always, MsH2k!
:tiphat:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Hogwarts03 wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 05:47 I wasn't aware that so much could be communicated through humor in a graphic book. Great review!
Right?! The author and his illustrators covered a lot of ground. Thank you for stopping by!
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 17:52 It's a nice touch that the author tried to make the book relevant and relatable by having illustrations of well-known characters wearing masks. Even though the advice might be corny, it might be good for a few laughs.

Thank you for an excellent review as always, MsH2k!
:tiphat:
It is an entertaining book. I think boomers would especially appreciate the sentiments.

Thank you for your kind comment, Josephe-Anne! I’m glad you stopped by.
Rosa Parks
Muna Chizzy
Currently Reading: Gardening With Guns
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muna-chizzy.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Muna Chizzy »

I'm impress on how the author portrays strong themes in this graphic comedy book. One can have a good laugh and also learn a lot from the story. Thanks for the great review.
Eddy E
Currently Reading: In the Meantime
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddy-e.html
Latest Review: Sena's Black Ross by Linda k jones

Post by Eddy E »

This sounds very entertaining and humourous all together, yet passing a strong message and encouragement to.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Muna Chizzy wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 02:25 I'm impress on how the author portrays strong themes in this graphic comedy book. One can have a good laugh and also learn a lot from the story. Thanks for the great review.
Yes, he does a good job of getting his point across. I liked having a variety of illustrators too. Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Eddy E wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 08:49 This sounds very entertaining and humourous all together, yet passing a strong message and encouragement to.
It was entertaining. The style and the messaging reminded me of old-school comic strips.

Thank you for your visit!
Rosa Parks
qlouricaluiz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by qlouricaluiz »

Having illustrations that are humorous is a great way to catch a readers/peoples attention.
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Thank you for sharing such an honest review. I enjoyed reading it.
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

qlouricaluiz wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 19:58 Having illustrations that are humorous is a great way to catch a readers/peoples attention.
Indeed. The author knew how to reach his audience well. Thank you for your comment.
Rosa Parks
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Mtibza eM wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 08:18 Thank you for sharing such an honest review. I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for your kind comment. I’m glad you stopped by.
Rosa Parks
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I love common sense, and I would love to discover the illustration. Thank you for your detailed presentation!
MsH2k
Currently Reading:

Post by MsH2k »

Raluca_Mihaila wrote: 14 Aug 2021, 14:38 I love common sense, and I would love to discover the illustration. Thank you for your detailed presentation!
I think common sense is a great (somewhat untapped) natural resource :D
Thank you for stopping by!
Rosa Parks

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”