Review of Mike and Gordie

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
PeterRabitt20
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Verity
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterrabitt20.html
Latest Review: The Power Of Our Inner Gremlins by Suzanne Daplyn

Review of Mike and Gordie

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mike and Gordie" by Jerry Carino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story of Bigfoot is told in many cultures and throughout numerous generations. Whether he (or she) is called a Sasquatch, Yeti or another name, the myth follows a set of common traits. Authored by Jerry Carino, Mike and Gordie: An Easy Guide to Bigfoot is a starter kit about the legendary bipedal creature.

This book combines fiction and non-fiction genres. There are ten chapters, each begins with a short comic strip followed by factual information. The cartoon tells an amusing story of young Mike and his new neighbor, Gordie. After hearing strange sounds at night, Mike suspects that Bigfoot resides next door. There are more signs that can’t be ignored. When Gordie finally appears, Mike is speechless. Was he part of an elaborate hoax?

The non-fiction part covers a variety of Bigfoot topics, such as the origins, actual sightings, and even his (or her) natural habitats. Of course, this isn’t an exhaustive list, and there are many eye-popping facts. For instance, the Oklahoma Bigfoot Hunting Season Bill—I was somewhat relieved that it is only for trapping. Imagine eradicating the last of a “pre-historic” species. For those wishing to dig deeper into the “wild man” mystery, there are names of organizations and resources. For instance, the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization is one of the oldest in the field.

I highly enjoyed Carino’s enthusiasm for cryptozoology. He is comfortable and knowledgeable about Bigfoot; consequently, his writing style made for an entertaining and interesting reading experience. It is probably owing to the author’s previous publishing experience in the field of medicine; Carino is a pulmonary and critical care doctor.

My favorite aspect was Carino’s unbiased position in his book. He isn’t trying to convince the readers of Bigfoot’s existence; instead, he summarizes the evidence. Regardless, I’m slowly getting off the fence and towards the believers’ side. The comic strip is another favorite of mine. Illustrated by Alla Mart, the cartoon depicts Bigfoot as a tender giant rather than a fearful monster. This portrayal makes him approachable to a younger audience with an advanced lexical level.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found it illuminating, lively and engaging. There were some minor errors, but they could be easily remedied. Therefore, the book seems to be professionally edited. As such, a lower rating would be unnecessary.

I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Bigfoot’s legend—believers and skeptics alike. Also, those planning a camping trip may want to pack this short guide, along with extra phone memory. If you are looking for something new and out of your lane, this book is perfect.

Mike and Gordie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rishi_reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rishi-reviews.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Rishi_reviews »

I really enjoyed reading the review and plot of the book is presented quite nicely in it. Keep up the good work.
Uchechukwu Okereke
Currently Reading: The Aftermath Of The King
Bookshelf Size: 42

Post by Uchechukwu Okereke »

interesting to note that I didn't know the Sasquatch was actually a name given to the bigfoot as opposed to the name of another mythological creature. I am looking forward to seeing this book thanks to your review.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

Lovers of bigfoot legends will definitely enjoy this story. Great review.
Arja Sollie 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arja-sollie-1.html
Latest Review: Hammer of the Gods by RK Wheeler

Post by Arja Sollie 1 »

Uchechukwu Okereke wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 02:49 interesting to note that I didn't know the Sasquatch was actually a name given to the bigfoot as opposed to the name of another mythological creature.
"Sasquatch" is a name specifically from the Pacific Northwest. According to etymonline, "1929, from Halkomelem (Salishan), a native language of the Pacific Northwest, sæsq'ec, one of a race of huge, hairy man-monsters supposed to inhabit the Pacific northwest woods in American Indian lore." The term "bigfoot" is a reference to, of course, the creature's large feet. I believe that footprints were some of the first forms of claimed evidence to its existence.
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

I would love to find out more about Bigfoot. I am sure that in my country we have no such creatures though :). Great review!
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

I have read and seen interesting movies about bigfoot. I am therefore optimistic this isn't going to be different. Welldone for an amazing review.
Brett Linette
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brett-linette.html
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Brett Linette »

I love how some of this book is an fiction! I hope Mike and his neighbor have better luck proving the existence of Bigfoot than we've had out in the real world.
Latest Review: ACED. by Shea Rose
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Yeah, I think legends about bigfoot exist in most cultures because even in my culture, we have one. I also like when an author combines fiction and non fiction aspects in a book. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
NancyDrew12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancydrew12.html
Latest Review: The Tooth Fairy Makes A Mistake by Great-Aunt Rita

Post by NancyDrew12 »

This book sounds interesting. I've always been curious about bigfoot. Thanks for a lovely review!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Rashawn Carter wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 09:15 This book sounds interesting. I've always been curious about bigfoot. Thanks for a lovely review!
He's always one of those evading mysteries, lol. Thanks for your comment!
PeterRabitt20

Post by PeterRabitt20 »

Clifford Munene wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 09:10 Yeah, I think legends about bigfoot exist in most cultures because even in my culture, we have one. I also like when an author combines fiction and non fiction aspects in a book. Thanks for the review.
If so many cultures seen him...maybe he is real. I'd love to know all the stories from different cultures. Thanks for stopping by!
Rav_sid
Favorite Book: Inner engineering
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Rav_sid »

This review delivered a lot more than what I anticipated. I expected just a fun comic but was pleasantly surprised with the amount of actually research involved. Thank you for reviews I want to read this book.
Emmanuel Anyalewechi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pharmemma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Emmanuel Anyalewechi »

I have always found it interesting to read books like this. From your review, the storyline sounds very enticing and engaging. You deserve some accolades for a well-written review.
Chilala Njungu
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Chilala Njungu »

Wow I have enjoyed reading the book about the bigfoot though I thank God that we don't have such culture in our country

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”