Review of Bernado's Circus

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review of Bernado's Circus

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bernado's Circus" by James A Calderwood.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bernado's Circus was written by James A. Calderwood, and it is about the story of a boy named Bernado. He was the last born of the Romanski. The Nazis SS were after the Gypsies, and he was a Gypsy. His family was brutally killed while he watched from the bush. He became the only survivor of the Romanski family. He walked through the cold and hunger from one place of shelter to another. The most extended place he had stayed was at the house of Zelda. He was taken to an orphanage owned by the church at the age of 13 but ran away at the age of 15 due to the evil done to him there. He found a way to live on his own and later began to work in a circus where he met different girls. This would begin a different season of his life. Through all of these experiences, what does the future hold for Bernado?

This story teaches the essence of hard work. When all of Bernado's family was wiped out, he was motivated to find his way through the hurdles of life. The author used his character to demonstrate the essence of diligence. I liked his never-give-up attitude. His readiness to work for Zelda demonstrated this attribute more clearly. He didn't relent even as a young boy. He pushed Stefan's cart to the market. Bernado's sense of purpose was inspiring. He continued to try his best right from when he realized he was all alone.

The paragraphs of the book were well arranged with the correct spacing for ease of reading, but there were a lot of errors in the book. I wouldn't say I liked this particular challenge about the book. Because I found too many errors, it distorted my reading at intervals. I had to pause repeatedly to truly understand the intention of the author in some sentences. This was the only negative aspect of the book for me.

I would rate this book a 2 out of 4 stars due to the errors. Aside from that, the book is filled with a lot of lessons, especially for ambitious individuals. But it was poorly edited. I don't consider the explicit content a negative factor. But younger readers should avoid such content.

I recommend this book to orphans, especially those who think their situation is an obstacle to their optimal success in life. This book would inspire you. Learn the good lessons in the life of Bernado.

Bernado's Circus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
T T 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-t-2.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli

Post by T T 2 »

Umm, the story is different but it did not impress me. I would give it a hard pass. Thank you for a well written and honest review.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Bernardo had such a terrible experience growing up. He must have gone through a lot. I'm curious to know what the future holds for him. Thanks for the review
Ghuddie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghuddie.html
Latest Review: Better Angels Lesley Gore Dusty Springfield by Linden Lelievre

Post by Ghuddie »

I already have a feeling the book holds a lot of inspiration for orphans. It will really benefit them. Great review.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

The dreadful horror of watching your family being killed can build up a lot in a small boy like Bernado. I am looking forward to finding out the end stories of this book
Apple 7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-apple-7.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Apple 7 »

Losing ones loved ones while being dependent on them is very traumatic and life shattering, but the book posits an alternative view.......very nice review
Asiaa Szn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asiaa-szn.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Asiaa Szn »

This is such a sad story. It must have been so lonely for him growing up. I'm going to read this to find out. Nice review.
Rav_sid
Favorite Book: Inner engineering
Currently Reading: The Freedom Building
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Rav_sid »

I feel such a strong connection with character I wants to read his whole trip and see what he has to live through. Thank you for your review.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”