Review of One Breath

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Review of One Breath

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Breath" by Jordan Z Lowe.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Victor Cayden is a Swedish archaeologist with a penchant for marine life. On a trip to Lao, he met and fell in love with Lia, a native Loa diver. They got married and had a daughter named Kaia. They realized she could hold her breath underwater far longer than most people at four. She loved swimming, and her parents nurtured her love for it. After many years of work, Victor built a submarine to fulfill his dream of exploring the Pacific Ocean ruins and the ancient underwater civilization and people Lia told him about. He set out with his wife and some crew members, and they promised to be back in a few days. When days turned to weeks, and no one heard anything from them, and all attempts to find or contact them proved futile, people presumed they were gone forever. But Kaia found it hard to accept. So she set out to find them, but without specialized diving gear, she had to do it in one breath.

One Breath by Jordan Z Lowe is a fantasy story of love, courage, and friendship. Jordan did an excellent job highlighting the power of determination and teamwork in her writing. Being helpful and kind to others is another of the book's charming themes. The friendship between Kaia and Olv is endearing.

On the other hand, One Breath could use more details and immersive world-building. Most of the book's actions happened in an underwater civilization with human-like beings. Still, Jordan didn't quite describe the people and their world in a way that would allow the reader to picture them lucidly. For example, I didn't quite learn why Olv didn't have webbed hands and feet like the other Gilled Ones. Also, I wondered what they ate, how they lived, and how they came to understand human languages.

Furthermore, I kept wondering how Kaia updated her journal underwater without the paper turning to mush. How could she write while being carried by a rapidly swimming Olv?

Conclusively, I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. The author is imaginative. With time, I have no doubts the author will become a stronger writer. Currently, the book needs a little more descriptive work and another round of editing.

The story is best suited to tweens and teenagers that enjoy fantasy fiction. The subject is a bit too jejune for adults; however, the vocabulary and the book's premise are a little too advanced for younger readers.

One Breath
View: on Bookshelves
Israel10
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

One Breath by Jordan Z Lowe is a fantasy story of love, courage, and friendship. Jordan did an excellent job highlighting the power of determination and teamwork in her writing.
Eze Michael
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eze-michael.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark - Knights of the Trinity by J.B. Lion

Post by Eze Michael »

I love the premise of the story. The author did a good job in the characterization of this book. I'd love to know if Kaia found her parents. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”