Review of Never Quit

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chimomaebuka Ejimchi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimomaebuka-ejimchi.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Earea by E.J. Denman

Review of Never Quit

Post by Chimomaebuka Ejimchi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Never Quit" by Roger Bush Hamilton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Never Quit by Roger Bush Hamilton is an autobiography that follows the life of Roger Hamilton. This book describes the life of the author from when he was a child to when he was working in cooperative America.

The book begins with a description of the household he lived in as a child. He was partially disabled during his childhood. He was also regularly sick as a child. His parents and siblings eventually moved away. The book shows the difficulties that he faced as a teenager. Some of his family members died. He was greatly affected by their deaths. The tumultuous relationship he had with his mother was also displayed in the book. The book described all the vices that he partook in, and it showed all the ways that he was affected by them. The book also shows the care that he took to be a better person. The difficulties he faced in becoming a better person are displayed in the book.

I liked many things in the book. To start with, the book highlights the vices in society. The author accentuates all the crimes that tend to happen within society. The book does this by showing the crimes that the author and his peers committed. The reason that black boys and men partook in some of these crimes is also highlighted by the book. Some of the reasons are a lack of an excellent paternal figure in their lives as they are growing up, the acceptance of such acts within society, the faults in the juvenile system to help correct those that commit these crimes, and the necessity of it for their survival. Secondly, the book also highlights the state of black people from the late 1970s to the 1980s. Their lives post-civil rights movement were explained in this book. The protests and riots that happened in schools were described. The author, through his life, shows how difficult life was for Black Americans. The author disclosed the prejudice that they had to go through in their everyday life, for instance, the horrible ways that the police handled them, the difficulty in them accessing some jobs, the state of their neighbourhoods, and the dislike and hatred they got from other races. All of these were discussed in the book. Thirdly, I like how the book displays the effects of these circumstances. The book shows how what happens when people with these backgrounds grow up. The author shows how some people become products of their environment. The book also shows the ways that their lives can change. The author actively tries to become a better person. He does this by being disciplined and leaving the life of crime. He had many obstacles, including himself, but managed to overcome them and be a better person. He beat all the odds set against him.

I give the book four out of four stars. The author does a wonderful job of telling his life story. He does it in such a way that people can learn from his life. I could not dond any negative aspects of the book. In addition, since I listened to the audiobook, I did not spot any errors in this book.

I recommend the book to Black Americans that grew up in the 1970s and 1980s. The book displays the way that life was for a Black man. I also recommend the book to Black Americans who are younger. The book displays what their parents and elder relatives might have grown up in.

Never Quit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Doris Nzeket
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doris-nzeket.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Doris Nzeket »

Interesting review. From this review, I think anyone who thinks all is lost in life should read this book. When there is life, there is hope. And hope works hand in hand with faith... Faith is believing in the things you have not yet seen, according to the book of Hebrew. Thanks for the review.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”