Review of Gray Cells

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Review of Gray Cells

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gray Cells" by Lawrence Goodman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What was supposed to be a normal night for Josh Glass turned out to be the worst night of his life. Before he could process what was happening, Josh gets kidnapped by a mysterious creature. When detectives have made it clear that they don’t care, journalist Lina goes out of her way to find out the truth. Can Lina do what the police should be doing? Will she find Josh and bring him back home? And who or what is the kidnapper? Read Gray Cells by Lawrence Goodman to find out.

This definitely was an interesting read. Just based on the cover, I didn’t know what to expect. I went in with the thought that this graphic novel what going to be targeted towards a younger audience. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that this was not the case. This graphic novel has a deeper meaning than what we see on the surface. Goodman has done a great job of highlighting some issues that people still face today. For example, racism is a big part of the storyline, as we constantly see that black individuals are disadvantaged throughout the story.

The illustrations were beautifully done, and they really helped visualise the story. I also really liked the dark tones used, as they created a sinister atmosphere throughout the whole book. Overall, the illustrations flowed smoothly. My favourite character was Lina, for obvious reasons. She stepped up to help when no one else would, and she even risked her life a couple of times for it. Lina is strong, confident, and determined to get what she wants. I think her character will resonate with many female readers.

This graphic novel is definitely one everyone should pick up. It takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions. Anger, hope, sadness, and happiness are just some of the emotions. As a result, there was nothing that I disliked about this book.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of the points I mentioned above. I didn’t find any mistakes, so it is exceptionally edited. Just as a heads up, this graphic novel does contain swearing and there are drugs and drinking involved. In addition to that, there are some violent scenes that may be triggering to some people, so read at your own risk. For example, two white police officers beat a black man, and also instances of child abuse. Due to this, this book is suitable for those over 18. I highly recommend this to mystery lovers out there who want a quick read.

Gray Cells
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

This sounds like my kind of book. I really enjoy stories that combine mystery and crime. It also sounds like there is a bit of fantasy also in these pages. I am adding this book to my shelves to read. Well done on an excellent review pulling me in and the picture you created of this book!
ThankGod Onyishi
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thankgod-onyishi.html
Latest Review: The Blood of My Mother by Roccie Hill

Post by ThankGod Onyishi »

This book has similar qualities to a movie I once saw and enjoyed. This is not the reason I will be getting it though. I will like to read this because mystery books excite me. Thanks for the review.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I find the plot of this book interesting although I don't like the cover page. I enjoyed reading your review on this book. Welldone!!!
Stevenmusk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevenmusk.html
Latest Review: Under the Blue Moon by Joan Schweighardt

Post by Stevenmusk »

I’m curious of what or who the kidnapper was because it say mysterious creature. I hope this book provides me with the thrill I expect from detective books.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

The cover of this book is amazing and so captivating. If the art inside is anything like that, I'm already hooked. I also want to know more about Lina's journey throughout the story.
it is what it is ....
Okorji98
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okorji98.html
Latest Review: The Reason Under fire by Abdulmouti Souwed

Post by Okorji98 »

This graphic novel is definitely one everyone should pick up. It takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions. Great review.
Dayna Frank
Favorite Book: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayna-frank.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Dayna Frank »

I enjoyed reading this review and the replies! It makes me interested in reading it! Nice job.
Sarah tianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tianna.html
Latest Review: Reverse Chronic Kidney Disease by Yaw A. Boateng

Post by Sarah tianna »

This book is suspenseful and well-detailed. In actual fact, I love the book cover and the storyline is intriguing and captivating. I look forward to reading this book. Great review.
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

The storyline is unique and I love it. Your review gave an appropriate summary of the book, I really enjoyed reading it and hopefully I would read the book soon. Thanks for the honest review 👍👍

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”