Review of The Chronicles of Jay Work Life

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of The Chronicles of Jay Work Life

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chronicles of Jay Work Life" by Jason Hill.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Chronicles of Jay: Work Life by Jason Hill is a compilation of short work-life stories revolving around a guy called Jay. Jay is a representation of workers in different work demographics and the struggles they face.

At the beginning of the book, Jay works as a sales associate with a strict no-refund policy. When he refuses an older client from returning a good, she is petulant, and Jay has a mental image of conquering her. The tirade continues across several working fields that Jay enrols in, and in the end, Jay is either fighting against unscrupulous clients or giving a mean boss a piece of his mind. Jay’s brewing experience cuts through relatable work fields; in his case, he carries out the vengeance in his mind that we wish to exert but cannot. He breathes fire on unsuspecting annoying clients, buries gruesome bosses, and teaches a nosy employee a permanent lesson. In this humorous collection, readers can take a piece of Jay’s situation, relate, and laugh about it and find comfort in the knowledge that they don’t bear their struggles alone.

Jason Hill is a fantastic illustrator and storyteller. He keeps the graphics comical and the dialogue simple and exciting. The comics are in tandem with the storyline, and the author cuts to the point and passes the message in clear sentences. His narration is very relatable and clearly shows workers’ global struggles. My favourite statement from this book was from Jay: “If people only knew what we went through to deliver them the mail." Every worker can relate to that moment of putting in enough work without little appreciation because it looks easy. Jay’s declaration here begs for the appreciation of the essential workers in society. It’s akin to a clarion call.

This book was very oddly satisfying for me, especially in the scenes where Jay had the last word or action in a frustrating situation. I like how effortless it is to slip into Jay’s shoes and view the world from his perspective. The narrative and writing style of the author was uncomplicated and easy to flow. I enjoyed reading this book thoroughly. Jay has lived a part of our lives for us, and it was refreshing to read him act in situations where moral bounds restrict us. My favourite scene was when he worked as a sewage cleaner and encountered different folkloric characters in the sewer. It was an exciting and hilarious interaction.

There is nothing I dislike about this book. It was spellbound and an astonishingly vibrant read. This book was also exceptionally edited and free from errors. For these reasons, I am rating the book 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend this book to workers in the labour market experiencing difficulties at work. It is an engaging story with empathic experiences. Do you wish you could tie up that crazy boss? Chill, and watch Jay do it for you.

The Chronicles of Jay Work Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Oluoma Chukwu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluoma-chukwu.html
Latest Review: Lady Justice and The Company by Maury Berthon

Post by Oluoma Chukwu »

Workers in different work demographics face different types of challenges which are usually unique to their work place or type of work. I would love to read about Jay in this book. I enjoyed your review and will be looking forward to reading the book itself.
Kavita Shah
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Spellbound - The Workings of Drugtech
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 188
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kavita-shah.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Kavita Shah »

I really like the Jay goes to work theme. Would live to read it. Thank you Anthony_ for an interesting review!
Mercy Sos Christopher
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-sos-christopher.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Mercy Sos Christopher »

I enjoyed this review and hopefully I would read this book. Thanks for the review.

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”