Review of One Breath - Second Wind

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of One Breath - Second Wind

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Breath - Second Wind" by Jordan Z Lowe.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One Breath - Second Wind by Jordan Z. Lowe is a book that shows the love of the deep ocean by two young teenagers: one who has loved to dive into the ocean all her life and one who is scared to face the ocean again after an unfortunate tragedy that claimed both her legs. A year after Kaia Cayden rescues her parents from the Dark Catacombs with the help of her boyfriend, Olv Atlon, a water breather, and the Prince of Undala Paradiso, she joins her parents to welcome the new arrivals to their artificial island; among the arriving families were Yuki and her parents. Kaia and Yuki begin a close friendship, and Kaia decides to help Yuki love the ocean again after losing both legs to a shark bite in the ocean. Kaia's decision to assist Yuki quickly awakens an even worse problem for her, but Kaia is determined to assist her through her difficulties.

I had such a wonderful time reading this book. I loved the friendships the author created in this book. The author created friendships that all the limitations the characters had could not stand against. It did encourage me to be a better friend and to know that if I am willing, there isn’t any barrier I cannot overcome. This was the big lesson that I got from this book. The story was fun to read; I couldn’t put the book down the moment I started reading. The temple twists were appealing to me. I assumed the young boy Yuki met was the answer they were looking for; I didn't know what the answer was until they found it, which was exciting for me.

There wasn’t much that I didn't like about the book. There were just a few areas that weren’t clear to me, like how Olv already knew about Yuki when Kaia had not paid him any visits since Yuki arrived. I thought he was going to be surprised to see another girl with Kaia when she comes visiting, but that wasn’t the case, and I was a little confused. Also, the first riddle wasn’t really clear to me; it didn’t make as much sense as the first one. Regardless of these little grey areas, I loved reading this book and cannot complain about anything else.

The characters were well-developed and also brave. The story excited me, and I was intrigued by the way it started throughout the read. I remained thrilled, and the author used engaging stories to keep it that way till the end. I spotted only a few errors in the book, which made me believe that it was professionally edited, as they weren’t many or serious. However, the book did have some grey areas, as I mentioned earlier, and I will deduct only one star because the issues were serious. Although I would prefer it if they weren’t there, I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Another important thing that I appreciated while reading was the illustrations; they added life to the book and made reading even more enjoyable.

I would recommend this book to lovers of the ocean. People who love to swim or dive will have a great time reading this story. They will also be touched by the bravery the characters showed facing the water, especially Yuki. People who are looking for a great, entertaining story will also love reading this story and be moved by the powerful story the author tells in this book. I would also love for people who are passionate about friendship to read this book, as it will help them build stronger friendship bonds.

One Breath - Second Wind
View: on Bookshelves
Chika Eleanor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chika-eleanor.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by Chika Eleanor »

This is a book that shows how someone in difficulty can be helped by someone else. This also talks about true friendship.
Ogunkoya Mayowa
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogunkoya-mayowa.html
Latest Review: Why Did Buffy's Fur Go Flat? by Erin Hill and Dr. Russ Hill

Post by Ogunkoya Mayowa »

A book that shows the love two teenagers have for the ocean, one who loves to dive into the ocean, and one who is scared due to tragedy case of losing her leg in a shark bite. I love how the author portrays the essence of friendship in this book. I am glad you enjoyed reading this book despite little flaws. Nice review.
Louie Francisco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Louie Francisco »

Overall, what i see in these graphic novel is that, you can do whatever you want if you are courage by people around you, its also a great. example of overcoming your fears, i love the message i gain.
Ritalee1
Currently Reading: Chromatophobia
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritalee1.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Ritalee1 »

"A heartwarming tale of two teens' love for the sea - one fearless, one scarred by tragedy. A touching portrayal of friendship by a gifted author. A must-read, despite its flaws.
Rani Nur Azizah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rani Nur Azizah »

This book tells about true friendship that cannot be resisted by the limitations of one's own character. This book also teaches how to help others who are struggling

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”