Review of The Sweetest Thing

Use this sub-forum to discuss comic books and graphic novels.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Review of The Sweetest Thing

Post by Vine Michael »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sweetest Thing" by Anuoluwa Coker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Sweetest Thing, written by Anuoluwa Coker, is a rom-com novel set in the bustling city of Lagos, in the heart of Nigeria. The novel follows Temi, an average working-class woman in Nigeria who still lives with her parents, as she navigates the path to finding love. The book was written in a first-person narrative and had thirteen chapters.

Temi is a 26-year-old working-class Nigerian woman. She lives with her parents and younger sister. The book starts on the last day of the work week. She gets an early start from work and spends half the day dreaming about going on vacation; the other half she spends in a cinema with her sister. After her last relationship broke her heart and her trust in men, she decides to focus on herself. However, her mother will have none of this; she sets her up with people and keeps pressuring her into a relationship. Will Temi be able to withstand her mother’s pressure, or will she find herself a husband quickly?

I first took this because it was written by a Nigerian and set in Nigeria. I found her traffic chronicles hilarious because, as a Nigerian myself, I can understand the frustrations of Lagos’ traffic. The first paragraph in the first chapter made me think, "If only I could feel this way in the morning." It was so chirpy. I liked that the author infused that hint of humor that African books and movies are known for.

One thing I disliked was that it was too descriptive and detailed, making parts of the book redundant. I feel the book needs a bit more structuring. The first chapter was dull, filled with her going to work routine, which would have added to the readability of the book if it had been sped through. It would have been better if the author had used the "show, don’t tell" rule while writing. I felt the book was hollow and needed a lot more work.

I rate this book three out of five stars, as I feel it still needs a lot of work. The storyline of the novel was great, but the plot, settings, descriptions, and characters were off. The characters felt shallow and hollow; it felt like their personalities were lacking something. Like I said before, this book needs a round of structuring and thorough editing. I’m not rating it lower because there is a lot of potential in this book and the storyline is interesting enough; the book just needs a little brushing up. There were some grammatical errors I discovered. I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in romance novels infused with humor.

The Sweetest Thing
View: on Bookshelves
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Lost in Plan Sight by Karen Magee

Post by Laney K »

I probably wouldn't be able to look past the redundant details, though I am a large fan of romance and humor.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Her mother is the opposite of my mother; there is no pressure on me to find a romantic relationship, it will come in God's perfect timing. Your review is great!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “NEW: Graphic Novels and Comic Books”